C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranties and Extended Protection Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
People buy homeowners and auto insurance because the government requires auto insurance. But if you can't afford a $1K bill to repair a car then you certainly can't afford a Corvette. People who learn to live within their means instead of hand to mouth tend to be much happier with their lot in life.
Government only requires auto liability insurance. It is absurd that you think if you buy an extended warranty, you are living beyond your means.
I can assure you that debt free in So Cal including a home with no mortgage isn't achieved by living beyond your means. I wouldn't say that paying over $6K out of pocket for repairs, because you might be able to afford it, to save $2300 for an extended warranty policy would qualify as a good financial decision.

We haven't had a good heated debate for quite a while
The first and last was about dealers. You were bad mouthing them and I was defending mine. I have to admit though that I have come to agree with you. I found a great independent shop that I use now since I'm not interested in doing much more than keeping my C6 clean.

Last edited by Batman75; 03-23-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:31 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Have never bought or (knock on wood) needed an extended warranty on any of my vehicles over the past 30+ years. Have owned my latest Corvette for coming up on 10 years; in all this time, other the regular servicing, it has only been the shop for one $1K repair (just recently). I have also talked with friends & family that have had extended warranties and never used them. IMO & experience, they are waste of money that could be better spent/invested else where or saved in case you do need a repair.

Per later suggestion: 2006, 90K+ miles (9K+ annual miles)

Last edited by Welker1; 03-23-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Agreed, not everyone abuses their car just because they know they won't have to pay for the damage but many do and people who go for the insurance scam are the ones who pay. People buy homeowners and auto insurance because the government requires auto insurance and most people can't afford a $200K bill if their house burns down. But if you can't afford a $1K bill to repair a car then you certainly can't afford a Corvette. People who learn to live within their means instead of hand to mouth tend to be much happier with their lot in life.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
How's your weather Bruce?
Old 03-23-2016, 11:07 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Batman75
How's your weather Bruce?
Hey Bat, good to "see" you again!

Unsettled, rainy till Friday, then sunny through Sunday.

Attachment 48333511
Old 03-23-2016, 07:05 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

All warranty comments should be required to post annual mileage!

If you keep ur C6 under cover and take to office park on Fri and to Sat cruise, or Church on sunday, then yes Warranties are not a good buy

IF, you drive your C6 every day or min 7,500 miles per year, then YES they are a good buy.

There is a known list of Common c6 issues that if you are hit with, you will go thru $1500-3000 real fast.

-Harmonic balancer
-Rear hatch assist
-Clutch master/slave (now recall if after '08?)
-Fuel Pump/Tank Removals
-AC Delco Battery going after 2yrs
-A/C issues
-Clutch shudder/seating issues
-NAV/HUD units
-Headlights

I had the top 3 issues, with a C6 '12 DD; and went for GMPP 7yr/100K mi after 3/36 and its paid out already half of value.

NOTE: you can get a refund on unused months of a warranty any time if you sell.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:54 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Batman75
...We haven't had a good heated debate for quite a while
The first and last was about dealers. You were bad mouthing them and I was defending mine. I have to admit though that I have come to agree with you. I found a great independent shop that I use now since I'm not interested in doing much more than keeping my C6 clean.
Well, that's good news. At least you can learn. I look forward to the day that you realize insurance companies are not non-profit charitable organizations and that the vast majority of the people who buy these policies will never see a penny. And, of the remainder who do file a claim, most will not be "lucky" enough to even get their money back. But it is hard to convince those who have just won the lottery that gambling doesn't pay.

Last edited by FortMorganAl; 03-27-2016 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Site locked up yesterday so I couldn't add the correct smiley.
The following users liked this post:
Bruze (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 03:23 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 161 Posts

My 3/36 warranty is set to expire this Wed 3/31/16. Since I still have a 100k mile powertrain warranty I'll take a chance on the other stuff & save $2k.

Quick Reply: Warranties and Extended Protection Experience