C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would my vette be so skittish at high speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 02:37 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mvvette97
Thanks man. Maybe that is the problem. I will have to let them down and see how it feels.
DO NOT SET THEM TO MAX. When I am on the track I see speeds over 150. Tire pressure is very important at high speeds. A friend of mine, with GY Runflats, set his pressure in the morning and never checked it, until he slid off the track at a high rate of speed. With the GY's you do not want to see in escess of 36 psi, or the tires lose grip. I check my tires before each session, when they are hot,, and decrease the pressure to 32 front and 33 rear.

30 psi cold is a guideline, not a rule. You drive on hot tires, not cold, and I have found that a pressure for street driving that workd is 35 psi after the tires warm up. So in the summer I run 30 psi cold, and winter I run 32 psi cold. They always warn up to around 35 psi year around.

Good luck

Old 03-18-2016, 05:51 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

My 08 w/Z51 also gets a little "loose" at higher speeds and watching this conversation has raised a few questions for me. The PFADT alignment does not state whether it's for a Z06, Z51 or base model. I have the sheet printed out and I'm going to get an alignment using the "street" settings this week. Do the PFADT settings change based on model for mostly street use?
Has any one watched the rear wheels toe in and out while the car is up on jackstands? (as in checking transmission fluid level)With the engine idling, letting the wheels roll in forward or reverse and stopping the wheels quickly, you can watch the toe setting move at least a half inch inward or outward, depending on which direction the tires are rolling when you stop them. You can imagine what the tires do at high speed.
Those thinking that higher tire pressures will cause an unstable feeling at hiway speeds, have you read the handbook? Have you been to a HPD school? They always want the pressures increased from the recommended settings on the tire pressure label.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:22 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
DO NOT SET THEM TO MAX. When I am on the track I see speeds over 150. Tire pressure is very important at high speeds. A friend of mine, with GY Runflats, set his pressure in the morning and never checked it, until he slid off the track at a high rate of speed. With the GY's you do not want to see in escess of 36 psi, or the tires lose grip. I check my tires before each session, when they are hot,, and decrease the pressure to 32 front and 33 rear.

30 psi cold is a guideline, not a rule. You drive on hot tires, not cold, and I have found that a pressure for street driving that workd is 35 psi after the tires warm up. So in the summer I run 30 psi cold, and winter I run 32 psi cold. They always warn up to around 35 psi year around.

Good luck

so you recommend track hot pressure and 32 and 35 hot for the street (which about 31 cold)?

I'll keep that in mind when I go on the track.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:41 PM
mvvette97
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Hey guys I finally got the alignment spec sheet from the dealer. Here it is. does it look ok or possibly be the issue I am having?

Old 03-25-2016, 03:27 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

I would think that your toe would favor being in the negative range, then what's listed here.
Here's what PFADT recommends for various driving conditions.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
corvette-alignment.pdf (71.8 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by extrapilot; 03-25-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:38 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Mine is fine even at 100 but up new 120 to 130 it just doesn't feel good, haha. Ya know one thing i noticed was that to me I feel like the steering it too light at those high speeds. I know my bmw will get very stiff steering at high speed. I think that helps keep the car "or the driver" from moving the steering wheel at those speeds. I thought the corvette was supposed to do the same thing with the steering but I don't know for sure
You mention that the steering seems light, I know mine feels a lot heavier while at highway speeds.
I believe that the steering should feel tighter with speed. I wondering if there's a problem in the steering rack, or signal to the rack to change the effect. Something to consider.

Last edited by extrapilot; 03-25-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:01 PM
Grand Sport Jim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the same issues you mention with my original F1 Supercar's. I was following every damn rut in the road, no matter how minuscule. The alignment was set to factory specs which was just not suitable. I printed off PFADT's specs and went to my Corvette pro shop, http://www.corvettecenter-ct.com, and my problem was cured. I now run Michelin Pilot Super Sport's to the PFADT specs and they are perfect. I've doubled the speed limit (plus) with zero issues.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:49 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Grand Sport Jim
I had the same issues you mention with my original F1 Supercar's. I was following every damn rut in the road, no matter how minuscule. The alignment was set to factory specs which was just not suitable. I printed off PFADT's specs and went to my Corvette pro shop, http://www.corvettecenter-ct.com, and my problem was cured. I now run Michelin Pilot Super Sport's to the PFADT specs and they are perfect. I've doubled the speed limit (plus) with zero issues.
Proof positive here.
It seems he needs to run more negative camber and more toe, looking at PFADT's specs, which will improve the handling all around.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:27 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah.. lose the Goodyears if you want the car to handle at speed. Yes, could be pressure, yes could be shocks, but I'm betting on the rock hard tires with rigid side walls. My 07 Z51 car is a track monster, stable as a rock and putting on the track tires actually makes it squirley on the highway (over lane seems and expansion joints) but sticks like glue on a track. With my Nito INVO on the street she's a dream. Quiet smooth and great street grip. Tires and alignment make ALL the difference.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:43 AM
mvvette97
Melting Slicks

What spec did you use? Performance street?
Old 03-26-2016, 03:16 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

So you mean the cops didn't catch you doing 31 MPH in that 15 MPH school zone?
Old 03-26-2016, 05:10 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
How fast would you have to be going to notice front end lift? I've only been to 180 at stock height/body and it felt firm to me.

The ZR1 has 140 lbs of lift @150 MPH. I've never seen/read anything about a base coupe, but it would certainly be somewhat more.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:33 AM
jwrichter
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Default tires

Again, GET RID OF THE TIRES. Run the Michelin SS and you won't have any issues. Put on the tires and then get it aligned.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:34 AM
thehaggis
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Alignment was my issue with instability, but all the above are equally important.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:30 AM
mvvette97
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I think you are off base here. I agree the issue is alignment, not necessarily "dealer alignment". Most dealers (or front end shops, for that matter) will align a Z51 equipped car to Z51 specs unless told otherwise.
The OP needs to take something like pfadt alignment specs to a quality shop, with quality equipment, with a quality reputation and tell them "this is exactly what I want". Period.
I talked to a guy at a local shop that he said he can check out the alignment. I told him about the pfadt specs and he said no problem. Should he do the performance street spec or the performance street with track use with street tires?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:23 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

I talked to a guy at a local shop that he said he can check out the alignment. I told him about the pfadt specs and he said no problem. Should he do the performance street spec or the performance street with track use with street tires?
IMO... Just the street version, but both are going to show inside tire wear, unless your going to drive aggressively to even out the outside also.
I'm thinking that the toe in your case has more to do with the issues your experiencing. You should compare the two before specs to check if they fall in line with each other.
Also keep in mind that the alignment equipment needs to be in calibration and it's possible your car was last setup with a machine not in cal. Just another variably....

Last edited by extrapilot; 03-31-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:00 PM
7.0Ltrs of Love
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

any updates??? im facing this on my ZR1.... bought it back over the winter so didnt have much time to play with the OEM run flats but i know i got on it and it was definitely stable on those tires... switched to MT DRs in the rear and now im all over the road under WOT... hooks great though! some are blaming it on "softer sidewall" but i will not go by that as ive owned MANY and still do other cars like camaros all with even more side wall and the same tires and those "lower class" cars felt wayyy more stable at speed! matter of fact i feel way safer in my 2002 camaro on the same DRs but 18" version going 160+....car is glued and goes straight! my world class handling ZR1 feels like a death wish under WOT!

Get notified of new replies

To Why would my vette be so skittish at high speeds?

Old 04-21-2016, 11:38 PM
mvvette97
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7.0Ltrs of Love
any updates??? im facing this on my ZR1.... bought it back over the winter so didnt have much time to play with the OEM run flats but i know i got on it and it was definitely stable on those tires... switched to MT DRs in the rear and now im all over the road under WOT... hooks great though! some are blaming it on "softer sidewall" but i will not go by that as ive owned MANY and still do other cars like camaros all with even more side wall and the same tires and those "lower class" cars felt wayyy more stable at speed! matter of fact i feel way safer in my 2002 camaro on the same DRs but 18" version going 160+....car is glued and goes straight! my world class handling ZR1 feels like a death wish under WOT!
It's alot better than it was. I has the PFADT alignment done and it helped. first did the Performance street spec and it was alot better so then had him bump it up to the Performance street-track setting. That helped even more than the first setting. it will probably cause some more tire wear in the inside of the tires but I only drive the car maybe 1000 miles a year. that said it still tends to wobble around at speeds over 130 but not near as bad. I just don't really think it's a tire issue because I have these cheap Riken Raptors on my bmw 530i and have had it up to 150 on the same road and it was very planted with no wobble at all. It just strikes me funny that a 4 door euro car with cheap tires and almost a 100k on it feels safer than my corvette with 20k on it. I almost wonder if it has something to do with the wide tires on the vette possibly catching ruts and dips in the highway.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:03 PM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteriderFRC
the tires - TIRES - then again usually GY tires tend to 'wander' at any speed . so maybe your dealing with something different.

F1 tires for our cars are terrible.
This is exactly your problem. Replaced the tires on our '13 GS....put on Bridgestone RE050A........like night and day difference.....these tires like high speeds!!
Old 04-23-2016, 06:44 AM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 901 Likes on 584 Posts

The wider tires will tramline more. It appeared that on alignment spec that you showed us that front and rear were toed out. I would think that would make the car feel unstable. I was trying to remember the toe specs on the formula cars we were running and it I think we ran toe out on the front and toe in on the rear. The caster looks ok and I don't think that camber is going to make much if any difference for this problem. My 2011 GS has the Goodyears on it and at 160 and about 34 lbs (hot)it felt fine.

Quick Reply: Why would my vette be so skittish at high speeds?