C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On star system ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 09:03 AM
tri08sbc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default On star system ?

I just bought my Corvette about 2 months ago and the dealer threw in free on star for 3 months. Since my car is in storage I haven't used or even know if I need this. Since it will run out maybe around the same time as I get the car out of storage, is it worth it to keep this option since I will have to pay for the service ?
Old 02-24-2016, 09:10 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tri08sbc
I just bought my Corvette about 2 months ago and the dealer threw in free on star for 3 months. Since my car is in storage I haven't used or even know if I need this. Since it will run out maybe around the same time as I get the car out of storage, is it worth it to keep this option since I will have to pay for the service ?
Its a great option if you drive your car all the time. I can't see spending $20 a month on their smallest package when it sits in my shop 6 months of the years. I have it on my Yukon which is my family vehicle and a DD.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:15 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Personally I don't think it's worth it. I've never renewed it yet on the cars I've owned.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:17 AM
tri08sbc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RichKiss
Its a great option if you drive your car all the time. I can't see spending $20 a month on their smallest package when it sits in my shop 6 months of the years. I have it on my Yukon which is my family vehicle and a DD.
I understand. I store mine too. That was my point. They offer a car diagnostic in one of their packages. I wondered if that was even worth going with since I do store it months at a time.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:25 AM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I have it on both my vehicles. 08 Suburban and 08Vette. I have had it on other vehicles in the past and it has been a savior on several occasions when I had issues on the road. I was able to contact onstar and even talk with technicians to diagnose the problem and determine if the car coud be driven
Old 02-24-2016, 09:26 AM
KuzVette
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Good question. I wonder the same thing. My car is in Storage from the moment I took delivery in December, 2015. I got 6 months free for everything they offer, not sure why I got more than 3 months?

It's been fun playing with the various features, especially the map feature that locates your car and also the feature that tells you the stats on you car like fuel, tire pressure, etc.

However, is it worth $25 or more a month ongoing, when I don't drive it all year, don't think so....

There's another decision that I've been watching that claims you can get a 5-year "Basic" service for free, but don't see how to do that when I log into Star? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ree-years.html

The decisions go on!
Old 02-24-2016, 09:48 AM
tri08sbc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KuzVette
Good question. I wonder the same thing. My car is in Storage from the moment I took delivery in December, 2015. I got 6 months free for everything they offer, not sure why I got more than 3 months?

It's been fun playing with the various features, especially the map feature that locates your car and also the feature that tells you the stats on you car like fuel, tire pressure, etc.

However, is it worth $25 or more a month ongoing, when I don't drive it all year, don't think so....

There's another decision that I've been watching that claims you can get a 5-year "Basic" service for free, but don't see how to do that when I log into Star? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ree-years.html

The decisions go on!
Yeah mine is an 8 year old new car for me. It has 17k miles. I am debating with myself on the subject of the diagnostics-basic version.
I have at least a month to complete that debate.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:53 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

DD here. Back in the olden days (pre-2008) OnStar was a $600 option and a lot of people didn't buy it (me included). So, to get people to go fpor the scam they made it "standard" and rolled the cost into the base price. I don't have it and have never missed it. I wouldn't buy it even if it were free. It does nothing a cell phone won't do unless you have an accident on a rural road where you are unconscious and no one may see you for hours. I've heard it is also good if you drive out west where there are fewer cell towers because the transmit and receive antennas are larger than a cell phone. I don't drive in the desert so...

And for the people that think the diagnostics are needed, I've had about 3 codes in 9 years. A $25 code reader (everyone should have one) would have told me what they were.

Last edited by FortMorganAl; 02-24-2016 at 09:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tri08sbc (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 10:01 AM
tri08sbc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
DD here. Back in the olden days (pre-2008) OnStar was a $600 option and a lot of people didn't buy it (me included). So, to get people to go fpor the scam they made it "standard" and rolled the cost into the base price. I don't have it and have never missed it. I wouldn't buy it even if it were free. It does nothing a cell phone won't do unless you have an accident on a rural road where you are unconscious and no one may see you for hours. I've heard it is also good if you drive out west where there are fewer cell towers because the transmit and receive antennas are larger than a cell phone. I don't drive in the desert so...

And for the people that think the diagnostics are needed, I've had about 3 codes in 9 years. A $25 code reader (everyone should have one) would have told me what they were.
Thanks for the input. You are swaying me towards not spending the $200 + per year for this option. You make a lot of sense.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:09 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I had it for 3 or 4 years when I was driving 150 miles every weekend to see my mother and take her sitter to where she was living, but mine runs out next month and I won't renew it since 98% my driving now is in the local county.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:30 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

If you call them (push the onstar button and talk to them), they'll give you 5 years basic service for free.

I wouldn not pay extra for the add-on services, but free basic service for 5 years -- why *wouldn't* you do it? (tinfoil hatters excepted)
Old 02-24-2016, 11:00 AM
tri08sbc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kent1999
If you call them (push the onstar button and talk to them), they'll give you 5 years basic service for free.

I wouldn not pay extra for the add-on services, but free basic service for 5 years -- why *wouldn't* you do it? (tinfoil hatters excepted)
They didn't give me that option when I first activated it. They asked for my cc card for the least expensive option. I gave it to activate it. I wish they wouldn't have been so sneaky.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I have my doubts about that. They charge a minimum of $200 a year. Why would they give you $1000 of their services free? Must have been some extenuating circumstances if they offered that to someone.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:08 AM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I got a free 3 year offer last week.

OnStar®1 keeps you connected to your vehicle, so you can drive safely and confidently, wherever you are. Now, with our limited-time offer, you’ll get 3 free years of Basic Connectivity - with no obligation and zero cost.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:15 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I just cancelled it on my Cadillac ATS. They gave five year basic monitoring.
It went from 19.99 per month to 30- something. Absolutely not worth it as I told the advisor.
The car only sees 5K per year, if I get stranded I call AAA from my cell phone.
Then have it towed to a Cadillac dealer and have it fixed under warranty.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:44 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

100%. And I would purposely disconnect it if I had it. It can be used for tracking. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't spying on me...
Old 02-24-2016, 11:54 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

I will say this tho. My son was driving my older Tahoe and I had OnStar on it. He was in a wreck and the airbags went off. It(the Tahoe) automatically called OnStar to see what the problem was and to make sure he was ok and to dispatch police. He was 16 and a new driver at the time and would have had no clue what to do. There were police there in a jiffy because of OnStar. For safety reasons I say yes but like I said before. If the vehicle sit either take it off when not driven or don't get it.

Get notified of new replies

To On star system ?

Old 02-24-2016, 12:35 PM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

I never activated it when I bought my Tahoe in 2007 nor is it activated in the corvette. I don't miss it and don't need it.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:45 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
I have my doubts about that. They charge a minimum of $200 a year. Why would they give you $1000 of their services free? Must have been some extenuating circumstances if they offered that to someone.
Pretty sure its not a one-off. I received letters and emails from OnStar offering that deal (I accepted). My C6 is a 2012 that I bought used last year, so it clearly isn't just for new cars. The collateral I saw said to mention "Chevrolet Owner Gratitude" program.

You *may* have to have an expired subscription to get the deal -- don't know if it's offered to those currently under a contract.

EDIT TO ADD:
Here's a snip from the webpage (looks like its now 3 years free instead of 5):

Last edited by Kent1999; 02-24-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Pretty sure its not a one-off. I received letters and emails from OnStar offering that deal (I accepted). My C6 is a 2012 that I bought used last year, so it clearly isn't just for new cars. The collateral I saw said to mention "Chevrolet Owner Gratitude" program.

You *may* have to have an expired subscription to get the deal -- don't know if it's offered to those currently under a contract.
The subscription on my 2012 C6 coupe expires in 2 weeks. I'll watch for the offer.

Quick Reply: On star system ?