C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car woes - need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 11:35 PM
Eyedeas
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Resolved. Please delete.

Deleted

Last edited by Eyedeas; 04-05-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:52 PM
ICU2TV
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Continue to push and hopefully you can get this covered under warranty.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:58 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

This is why I never buy built, rebuilt etc. anything....if I cant do it myself forget it. They always screw something up...
I wish you all the luck and sure am sorry this happened to you...keep us posted.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:00 AM
Eyedeas
Instructor

Originally Posted by ICU2TV
Continue to push and hopefully you can get this covered under warranty.
I sure hope so. The conversations I've had haven't been very confidence inspiring though.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:01 AM
Eyedeas
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
This is why I never buy built, rebuilt etc. anything....if I cant do it myself forget it. They always screw something up...
I wish you all the luck and sure am sorry this happened to you...keep us posted.
Thanks, I'll definitely report back. Should know more tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:22 AM
Leigh C. Herring
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Bought a GTO M6, heads, cammed, intake, longtubes, tune about a year ago, test drove it, everything fine. Made the purchase, from a major Chevy dealer, and I **** you not it throws a rod in my driveway not 2 miles away. Take it right back and they say the same thing, as is. Mind you I paid for the car cash, not that it mattered to them, but it sure as hell mattered to me. Call my insurance guy just to see what he can do, long story short I got a new shortblock. Two weeks later drop two rods in a parking lot. Apparently the company that supplied the engine sent a junkyard. Dealer sues said company, I get a now third engine straight from GM, traded the car three days later for my C6 and haven't looked back.

Last edited by Leigh C. Herring; 01-29-2016 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:39 AM
Eyedeas
Instructor

Originally Posted by Leigh C. Herring
Sorry to hear that. Bought a GTO M6, heads, cammed, intake, longtubes, tune about a year ago, test drove it, everything fine. Made the purchase, from a major Chevy dealer, and I **** you not it throws a rod in my driveway not 2 miles away. Take it right back and they say the same thing, as is. Mind you I paid for the car cash, not that it mattered to them, but it sure as hell mattered to me. Call my insurance guy just to see what he can do, long story short I got a new shortblock. Two weeks later drop two rods in a parking lot. Apparently the company that supplied the engine sent a junkyard. Dealer sues said company, I get a now third engine straight from GM, traded the car three days later for my C6 and haven't looked back.
Wow what a shiit show. I hadn't even thought about insurance. Is that a real option? I can't imagine them paying for my new short block lol.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:43 AM
Eyedeas
Instructor

Perhaps bad gas caused detonation and a cracked cylinder? Lol. May be a bit of a stretch.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:49 AM
Leigh C. Herring
Advanced

Insurance didn't cover it, but my family all has the same agent for everything and have for years. Anyway he pretty much went to bat for me as a favor and got the dealer to pay for it, which most likely is why the second engine was junk lol
Old 01-29-2016, 12:50 AM
grandsport2
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would contact an attorney....may or may not help, but you will get at least legal advise.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:53 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,658 Likes on 2,361 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Eyedeas
Thanks, I'll definitely report back. Should know more tomorrow.
I would start out polite and, if an unfavorable resolution, tell the seller you are taking him to small claims court.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:55 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Honest question: If you indeed bought it "as is, no warranty"... what did you think that meant?

I'm not trying to be a wise-guy or harsh or unsympathetic, but I don't follow your reasoning that you think you have a legal leg to stand on when buying a used modified vehicle that states "as is".

EDIT: Re-reading your post, you *might* have a case to get the head gaskets replaced (since they said they had just done the work), but for the block, you'd have to prove they *knew* about it, but didn't reveal it.

And no, I don't think it will matter that, if months earlier, they had said something about a warranty in an ad. If its not in your sales contract, it won't exist.

Sorry for your nightmare, but I can't be very optimistic other than to hope for a charity gesture from the shop.

Last edited by Kent1999; 01-29-2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:58 AM
Leigh C. Herring
Advanced

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I would start out polite and, if an unfavorable resolution, tell the seller you are taking him to small claims court.
Maybe try going back to the shop and adding a warranty. It'll cost ya and some would say unethical, but it's worth a shot.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:08 AM
Eyedeas
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Honest question: If you indeed bought it "as is, no warranty"... what did you think that meant?

I'm not trying to be a wise-guy or harsh or unsympathetic, but I don't follow your reasoning that you think you have a legal leg to stand on buying a used modified vehicle that states "as is".
I thought it meant that the shop didn't **** up their work so bad that two days later it would need a new short block. The leg you're referring to is that there WAS an implied motor warranty. But let's back up for a second, because I want to discuss how things went down BEFORE we knew it was the block...when we all thought it was head gasket (that had 150 miles on it, mind you).

I wanted them to fix it. "Hey man, I have 50 highway miles on this car and it's overheating. There's coolant in the oil, can you fix it?" "Sure that'll be $800." No. My degree is in business so let me put myself in their shoes for a moment. If I put a block in a car, slap some heads on it, and two days later there's a leaking head gasket (which is what everyone including myself suspected), would you tell the customer who just paid you $37k to F off? Or would you tell them, "I don't know what happened but we value your business and value you as a customer, let me make it right."

If you want to stay in business very long you take care of your customers. Customer service pays way more dividends than he'd potentially lose from fixing the head gasket, had that been the issue. Ultimately, he told me tough shiit and that parts fail. I feel it's necessary to again state that this shop's build had less than 200 miles on it. However, the point is moot because it didn't end up being the head gasket, but you still get my point.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:09 AM
Eyedeas
Instructor

Originally Posted by grandsport2
I would contact an attorney....may or may not help, but you will get at least legal advise.
Yeah that's the plan. It may not go anywhere but if I have to pay $10k on top of what I already paid for this car you better believe I won't go out looking.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:27 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyedeas
I thought it meant that the shop didn't **** up their work so bad that two days later it would need a new short block. The leg you're referring to is that there WAS an implied motor warranty. But let's back up for a second, because I want to discuss how things went down BEFORE we knew it was the block...when we all thought it was head gasket (that had 150 miles on it, mind you).

I wanted them to fix it. "Hey man, I have 50 highway miles on this car and it's overheating. There's coolant in the oil, can you fix it?" "Sure that'll be $800." No. My degree is in business so let me put myself in their shoes for a moment. If I put a block in a car, slap some heads on it, and two days later there's a leaking head gasket (which is what everyone including myself suspected), would you tell the customer who just paid you $37k to F off? Or would you tell them, "I don't know what happened but we value your business and value you as a customer, let me make it right."

If you want to stay in business very long you take care of your customers. Customer service pays way more dividends than he'd potentially lose from fixing the head gasket, had that been the issue. Ultimately, he told me tough shiit and that parts fail. I feel it's necessary to again state that this shop's build had less than 200 miles on it. However, the point is moot because it didn't end up being the head gasket, but you still get my point.
I certainly understand your position and anger, but legal contracts are not constructed of "wants", "I thought's" and "what a good business would do", but rather the text of the document and the protections of the applicable state statutes. Your degree is in business, so I'm sure you knew these things from your "Business Law" classes.

As I stated in my edit above, you might prevail for new head gaskets, on an assertion that they provided verbal assurances that they, as a professional shop, had just performed that work. But unless you can provide reasonably compelling evidence that they knew of a cracked block at the time of sale, or otherwise gave the buyer assurances of the block's condition, I think you've got a difficult path to a favorable judgement as it pertains to your right to a new block, *especially* given the as-is disclaimer you stated was in the contract.

All that said, your best first gambit might be the non-litigative "C'mon, do the right thing as a respectable business" plea to the shop that you and other posters have mentioned. You can always go the more risky (and expensive) legal path if that doesn't work.

Good luck... hope it works out.

Last edited by Kent1999; 01-29-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:51 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I certainly understand your position and anger, but legal contracts are not constructed of "wants", "I thought's" and "what a good business would do", but rather the text of the document and the protections of the applicable state statutes. Your degree is in business, so I'm sure you knew these things from your "Business Law" classes.

As I stated in my edit above, you might prevail for new head gaskets, on an assertion that they provided verbal assurances that they, as a professional shop, had just performed that work. But unless you can provide reasonably compelling evidence that they knew of a cracked block at the time of sale, or otherwise gave the buyer assurances of the block's condition, I think you've got a difficult path to a favorable judgement as it pertains to your right to a new block, *especially* given the as-is disclaimer you stated was in the contract.

All that said, your best first gambit might be the non-litigative "C'mon, do the right thing as a respectable business" plea to the shop that you and other posters have mentioned. You can always go the more risky (and expensive) legal path if that doesn't work.

Good luck... hope it works out.

Hope they do the right thing and fix it for you. But your gonna have a real hard time in court if it comes down to that.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To New car woes - need advice!

Old 01-29-2016, 07:05 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

OP, I read your posts and I read Kent's above. I understand both of you---and you are not in a good position. Having driven thru and stopped many times in Oklahoma I know many of the major roads---it's prime for 100+ mph blasts, and not just for a few seconds. For all any engine builder knows, you bought the car and pushed it to 125 for ten minutes (and got away with it re police, but not the car). Kent already covered all the caveats like "I thought...," "wants," etc.

You don't state what "overheating" means, but cracking a block seems very odd unless something major was wrong to begin with---that means the block itself, or the installation plus the fluids.

I don't know how much of a leg you have to stand on, practically-speaking or legally, but I'd approach it as recommended. The only thing I'd do different is nice and easy speaking with everyone to begin with, AND at the same time, talk with a lawyer---a good one for your type of case which will take a little digging. Yes, you may not be able to afford hundreds of dollars for a lawyer, but you say you sure as hell can't afford a new motor which is thousands. Take your pick of which one you can afford or that car won't be moving anytime soon.

I do feel badly for you, but not to toot my horn, your situation is exactly what I've written about in several threads where someone is going to buy a used C6 of any kind, modified or not, and it's a stretch for them. To me, and as I defined it, a stretch is the "what if" case: what if a motor blows on the way home AND the trans goes out all in the same year?

Here's hoping your situation gets solved without your excessive use of the wallet.

Last edited by AORoads; 01-29-2016 at 07:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-29-2016, 08:02 AM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

We don't know if it pushed too hard for a few miles by the shop employees or the owner of the shop, but that should have never had happened. If its a reputable shop they should stand by it and/or help you with the repair from their shop and/or the engine shop! I really hope they do something for you! We all feel for you brother! Good Luck! Keep us posted.

Last edited by PAULEB07; 01-29-2016 at 08:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-29-2016, 08:15 AM
JDKnuguy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The car was broken when you bought it. Whether or not there is a warranty doesn't matter. They sold a broken product. Your research should be finding a really, really good lawyer who specializes in consumer law. You can win this, Baby.

Quick Reply: New car woes - need advice!