C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 01:37 PM
Charlie in TX
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

This is just my observation. Back in the days of carbed motors, we would get in, hit the key, the starter motor would turn the crank a few revolutions and the motor would start. A weakening battery would start to show itself before the motor started. With fuel injection, the motor starts on the first revolution. A weakening battery will not show itself until it just will not start.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:07 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie in TX
This is just my observation. Back in the days of carbed motors, we would get in, hit the key, the starter motor would turn the crank a few revolutions and the motor would start. A weakening battery would start to show itself before the motor started. With fuel injection, the motor starts on the first revolution. A weakening battery will not show itself until it just will not start.
All the more reason to have the battery load tested when it's nearing the useful life expediency, 3 to 5 years depending on the quality.
A lot of the car parts shops will do it for free.

Last edited by extrapilot; 01-15-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:17 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by extrapilot
All the more reason to have the battery load tested when it's nearing the useful life expediency, 3 to 5 years depending on the quality.
A lot of the car parts shops will do it for free.
Agree.....I know some guys here will point out they have had the same battery for 6 or more years, but the minute they drop 2 volts below minimum spec., the electronics will not let the car start.....but no matter the vehicle, I change the battery after 5. I figure it doesn't owe me anything after 5 and I like the "insurance" of knowing I have "new life" onboard!

Old 01-15-2016, 05:43 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie in TX
Yup, I made that same point here in the summer of 2014 when I had to change my battery. I used to run junkers quite a long time even after I knew the battery was getting weak, and as long as they turned over enough to fire, all was well.

With the C6, I did notice for a couple of weeks before it quit working that it seemed to turn over just a bit slower. But it was so subtle that I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not. And I'm still not sure.

But one day (luckily I was in my yard) it wouldn't turn over at all, and all the electronic thingies went beserk, as so many here have noted. It was a bit unnerving knowing how cars used to be, but new battery, problem solved.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:15 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the Battery tender jr from amazon for $25 less $12

Can sell extra cables it comes with for $6/ea on ebay and/or get cig lighter adapter for $5 and run out center console and rubber lip in
door

For $15-20 it cant be beat

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

Amazon.com: Battery Tender Deltran Cigarette Lighter Adapter 081-0069-5: Automotive Amazon.com: Battery Tender Deltran Cigarette Lighter Adapter 081-0069-5: Automotive

Last edited by Kevin_NYC; 01-15-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:25 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

The magnetic connection for the charger that attaches to the grill is THE easiest and fastest way to connect to the charger.

Get out of the car, snap it on, walk away.

Quick Reply: Battery drain