C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My corvette Grand Sport has exceeded expectations

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 12:57 AM
Warship2k15
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16
Default My corvette Grand Sport has exceeded expectations

No car is perfect but I must say that my corvette grand sport has exceeded my expectations.Its not perfect,it has an oil burn smell after running for a while and has a musty smell with the a/c on.

But I am overall very impressed by the car.It can cruise and be very comfortable for me in everyday commuting and traffic.but can handle like its on rails right after.Also when being pushed past its limit it is very predictable and can be gathered up or steered with the throttle very well.

As long as the problems are limited on this car I think it might take over as my favorite car of all that I've owned or driven.Could I use more power??Of course couldn't everyone. But the torque is very good for a naturally aspirated engine.(You don't have to rev it to the moon to get performance)

I've owned many cars and even when they were good at certain things. This one is good at many things and puts a smile on my face way more then it should.

As long as it doesn't give me too many problems I think I am going to keep it around for a very long time.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 07:43 AM
Z5108
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Grand Sport best BANG 4 the Bucks..
Old 12-03-2015, 09:19 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default last changed cabin filter?

Originally Posted by thoughtbetterboughtaC6
No car is perfect but I must say that my corvette grand sport has exceeded my expectations.Its not perfect,it has an oil burn smell after running for a while and has a musty smell with the a/c on.

But I am overall very impressed by the car.It can cruise and be very comfortable for me in everyday commuting and traffic.but can handle like its on rails right after.Also when being pushed past its limit it is very predictable and can be gathered up or steered with the throttle very well.

As long as the problems are limited on this car I think it might take over as my favorite car of all that I've owned or driven.Could I use more power??Of course couldn't everyone. But the torque is very good for a naturally aspirated engine.(You don't have to rev it to the moon to get performance)

I've owned many cars and even when they were good at certain things. This one is good at many things and puts a smile on my face way more then it should.

As long as it doesn't give me too many problems I think I am going to keep it around for a very long time.
change the cabin air filter to cure the musty smell from the a/c
Old 12-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Same here for my 2011. About 70k miles of daily driving smiles
Old 12-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,859 Likes on 1,981 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have said it before it is the best Corvette I have ever owned and I have had every Generation except the first one and the most recent. I will have mine for a long time also. When I had my C5 and the C6 came out I wanted one real bad especially when the GS came out. Not so with the C7.....I find I am not lusting after one of them......now if they make a GS model down the line that may change things.......
Old 12-03-2015, 09:59 AM
EVILFACE
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

It's no Camaro, but gets the job done.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Musty A/C can be remedied, the oil smell ????
Do a search on the A/C musty smell, lots of solutions
NSF
Old 12-03-2015, 10:38 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

the burnt oil smell and the musty AC smell are both known issues and fixes are available, the musty AC smell can be fixed by also turning off the AC 1-2 minutes before you get home (the "fix" is to have the dealership enable afterblow which runs the fans for 1-2 minutes after you turn the car off) Additionally, people have sprayed lysol through the cabin filter intake to kill off the mold that is causing the smell and it resolves it for 6-12 months.

The burnt oil smell is a more costly fix, but if you ask about it, it is easily fixed...

And think about it, fix those issues and it becomes the 'perfect' car.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:46 AM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

Also very pleased with my GS coupe. For me I needed the removable roof so I passed on the Z06 and ZR1. I expected to add more power, but I found out I really don't need it. Wish there were some all season tires but otherwise a very good, fun, reliable sports car.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I couldn't be happier with my first ever Corvette being an '11 GS coupe.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Warship2k15
Racer

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
the burnt oil smell and the musty AC smell are both known issues and fixes are available, the musty AC smell can be fixed by also turning off the AC 1-2 minutes before you get home (the "fix" is to have the dealership enable afterblow which runs the fans for 1-2 minutes after you turn the car off) Additionally, people have sprayed lysol through the cabin filter intake to kill off the mold that is causing the smell and it resolves it for 6-12 months.

The burnt oil smell is a more costly fix, but if you ask about it, it is easily fixed...

And think about it, fix those issues and it becomes the 'perfect' car.
I have an appt at the dealership since it's under warrenty.Do they know how to fix the oil smell??Or is it something I need to tell them to do.

I also have the musty smell and brake squeal listed.(I know the brake squeal my still be there but I might as well get it looked at while its there)

Any other known problems with the car that I might have to pay attention too and add to the list??I don't want it too get out of warrenty, find out there was a tsb for a known problem and end up footing a big bill for something.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by thoughtbetterboughtaC6
I have an appt at the dealership since it's under warrenty.Do they know how to fix the oil smell??Or is it something I need to tell them to do.
Is your GS a manual transmission car (i.e, does it have the dry sump LS3 motor)

Known issue that with the dry sump LS3, if, during an oil change, you refill the oil too fast, for some reason it causes an oil smell issue. Most dealers and oil change places just dump the oil in fast. The smell usually goes away in a thousand miles post-change.

If you *don't* have the dry sump LS3 (if you have the automatic transmission), then I'm not sure what the cause is.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

I am pretty faithful about using Lysol thru the ventilation system, seems to work very well.
Do it every month or so
NSF
Old 12-03-2015, 04:26 PM
Wetrudgeon
Pro

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

2011 GS rag top:
Fast enough to get us in all kinds of trouble.
Great brakes and handling.
Great looks.
Totally reliable so far (admittedly only 26K miles).
"Cool factor" very high.

Very happy with the car.

We trudge on.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:28 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

There is a shop near me that has products that clean the air ducts. We did our Equinox about 18 months ago and it still smells fresh inside. The Corvette's are lucky with the cabin filters, I replace mine annually using the carbon filter type, Purolator makes them and they are not as costly as when purchased from the dealer.

You should take yours to Sebring to see how it REALLY handles.

As for brakes, another way to think about squeaky brakes is at least you know they are working. You may want to rebed them from time to time to cut down on the noise, track brakes are far worse! I changed to quality ceramic brakes for DD duty to cut down on the brake dust. The squeak from time to time but it isn't bad or annoying, just a side effect from having a high performance vehicle.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:37 PM
Warship2k15
Racer

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Is your GS a manual transmission car (i.e, does it have the dry sump LS3 motor)

Known issue that with the dry sump LS3, if, during an oil change, you refill the oil too fast, for some reason it causes an oil smell issue. Most dealers and oil change places just dump the oil in fast. The smell usually goes away in a thousand miles post-change.

If you *don't* have the dry sump LS3 (if you have the automatic transmission), then I'm not sure what the cause is.
It's an automatic.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:45 PM
g's13 GS
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I too am very happy with my '13 GS. I have had it for 5 months. sold my '06 GTO for the GS. so far, no complaints.

Get notified of new replies

To My corvette Grand Sport has exceeded expectations

Old 12-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Warship2k15
Racer

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
There is a shop near me that has products that clean the air ducts. We did our Equinox about 18 months ago and it still smells fresh inside. The Corvette's are lucky with the cabin filters, I replace mine annually using the carbon filter type, Purolator makes them and they are not as costly as when purchased from the dealer.

You should take yours to Sebring to see how it REALLY handles.

As for brakes, another way to think about squeaky brakes is at least you know they are working. You may want to rebed them from time to time to cut down on the noise, track brakes are far worse! I changed to quality ceramic brakes for DD duty to cut down on the brake dust. The squeak from time to time but it isn't bad or annoying, just a side effect from having a high performance vehicle.
Well since it's under warrenty I will see what they say.Sqeaky brakes arnt a Deal breaker as far as liking the car.If it's just a thing they all do it which it.Then I will just consider it normal after the dealer checks the wear and drive it.

Good advice on the cabin filter etc.
If I get any free time I plan on doing a few track days.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:03 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Avoid the dealer for everything except warranty work and stuff that an independent won't touch. I'ts not just the high prices either.
As far as the oil smell, change your own at a leisurely pace and the chances of it happening are severely reduced. Especially at dealers, the oil change guy is the least experienced and newest hire who is trying to advance by being too fast and it causes problems, including broken engines.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Warship2k15
Racer

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Avoid the dealer for everything except warranty work and stuff that an independent won't touch. I'ts not just the high prices either.
As far as the oil smell, change your own at a leisurely pace and the chances of it happening are severely reduced. Especially at dealers, the oil change guy is the least experienced and newest hire who is trying to advance by being too fast and it causes problems, including broken engines.
I hear you loud and clear I usually find a local independent shop to do things even oil changes if I get busy or don't feel like doing it.

Anyone who can recommend a good one in the area let me know.

Maybe I will start a new thread

Quick Reply: My corvette Grand Sport has exceeded expectations