C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-purchase researching

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 12:13 AM
SSkariminia
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pre-purchase researching

Hey everyone,

I wanted a manual C6 as a daily driver so I asked a couple questions and did more research and I still had some unanswered ones....
I've looked around some more and based on my budget of 25k, if I want a car with HUD and less than 60k miles, the ls2 seems to be more likely candidate.
I've read something about the transmission with those cars being "notchy", what does that mean really? under normal circumstances, how much effort is needed to shift gears?

Here's some common things that seem to go wrong
harmonic balancer
fuel pump
water pump
fuel sender unit

So for the harmonic balancer, if it starts wobbling, do I have to fix it right away or can I take a few weeks to get to it, say if I'm away from home? Btw everyone seems to go with ATI.... I'm thinking about going ahead and replacing it with ATI balancer as a preventative measure...

As for the fuel sender unit, how common is that problem? So from my understanding, the fuel gauge goes down to empty and you get a check engine light? Also is it true that if you erase the code the fuel gauge goes back to normal?

What are some other big ticket items/ common problems I need to look out for? I want a reliable, dependable sport car and I dont wanna see a CEL or a leak often... I want a car that makes me go not
I know the engine and transmission are bullet proof, but would you recommend this car for a hassle free daily driver? (20 mile commute a day, in Houston so no snow) Also, is 1k a year enough to cover maintenance and expenses (excluding fuel and insurance)?

Also any tips/advice on buying a used corvette will be appreciated. Sorry about all the questions, but I wanna make a smart decision
Old 12-02-2015, 02:06 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,653 Likes on 2,361 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

You will probably hear more folks **** and moan about problems because most people with a trouble free car don't post.
I've been on the forum a few years and yes, I've heard horror stories of HB wobbles, fuel tank senders, fuel leaks. I also seen many posts from folks that have travelled 100,000...150,000...and more miles virtually trouble free.
Notchy shifting? My '05 was a little stiff when it was cold; my '11 not so much. Even with the standard shifter you can rest your arm on the console and shift with a flick of the wrist.
Find the car that matches your wish list, do your due diligence, and enjoy the experience.
Post up when you find something and we will all offer assistance.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 03:49 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 180 Posts

Do your due diligence but don't over think it and spend the next two years deciding which car to buy. At some point you're going to have to make the decision to buy, or not buy, the car. Don't fall into the "paralysis by analysis" syndrome. I bought a used 2005 in 2006, put about 60k miles on it and never had any significant issues.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:31 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

I drive my 2006 hear in the north east daily, except for snow that is. The trans shifts fine for me with the stock shifter, but not like butter.
There maybe better shifting trans, but I live with mine just fine.
Another common issue is the seeping oil pans. Most of the ones that leak, only show a coating on the pans and rarely leave spots while parking overnight. Mine has been in this state for over the 2 years and 25K miles I've owned the vette. Just be sure that a leak is not the rear main seal; that will be expensive to fix.
For the most part, if the HB starts making the belts chirp, that's when to replace it. Apparently this is true for all the C6's models, along with the fuel sensor issues as well. Using tier one fuels will greatly suppress the sensor problems.
Water pumps seem to go out and leak, IMO, with the lack of use, is when the seals dry up.
Unfortunately, except for the water pumps, most repairs are expensive to get fixed compared to your normal commuter car.

GL with your quest for a vette.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:18 AM
DJSpeece
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2010 1LT MN6 with 77K miles (I am original owner). The only issue I have had is the fuel sending unit and associated gear which started several weeks ago. The gas gauge was zeroing out for a bit, then started acting normal, repeat at random intervals. Also got the CEL which would go out after a few cold starts, but then would return. I put two 20 oz bottles of Techron in a nearly empty tank, then filled up. The gas gauge started working normally 24 hours later, and CEL has gone out. However, I am proceeding with the repair once the parts come in -- apparently they are on chronic back-order for reasons unknown to me. My mechanic thinks it's only a matter of time before I am left stranded due to a failure of the tanks to distribute gasoline correctly (i.e., thinking I have a full tank from the gas gauge, but having fuel "stranded" in the secondary tank). It'll run about $2500. I love the car though and would buy it again in a heartbeat. I really don't know how common the problem is -- or if it is due to some incompetence from the GM parts braintrust -- or some combination of both. I suspect it is not a rare issue, however.

Last edited by DJSpeece; 12-02-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:47 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

DJ
I could be wrong, but I don't think the car would leave you stranded. I believe as long as the fuel pump is working, the fuel system should work as normal, and the gauges are only indication and not prohibiting gas flow.
Maybe one of our resident experts could verify my thoughts.
DJSpeece (12-04-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I think problems are rare. Mine is automatic transmission, but I LOVE my 2006 convertible. Buy one that has been well maintained; you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:58 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I would agree with the general sentiments expressed above. You have to remember that for every problem reported on a forum, there are probably 100 Corvettes that never had the problem. From my experience on the forum, the only one of the problems that you mentioned that is significant is the harmonic balancer. That said however, the dealer that replaced mine under warranty had never done one before on a Corvette. So realistically, it still isn't that common. Don't overthink the research and get bogged down too much. Find a car in good condition.

Also, I don't mean to minimize the importance of people posting about problems. There is tremendous value to an owner who can go online and find a solution to a difficult problem that might otherwise be mis-diagnosed. The ability to share previous experience on a forum is really great.

Last edited by cclive; 12-02-2015 at 03:02 PM.
DJSpeece (12-04-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 05:08 PM
SSkariminia
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you everyone, you guys are erasing any worries I had.
So does the $1k a year sound about right for expenses for this car? (Not including fuel and insurance)
Old 12-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Rons65
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I drove a 05 Coupe Z51 6 speed as a daily driver for almost 3 years - other than a battery, tires, oil changes never had an issue. My 09 Z06 was flawless and both my ZR1's have been perfect (other than a minor electrical harness routing issue from the factory that was throwing a code that was an easy fix). I know some members have had some issues, but so far for me none to speak of!

Find the right car and drive it!

Ron

Last edited by Rons65; 12-02-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:56 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,653 Likes on 2,361 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SSkariminia
So does the $1k a year sound about right for expenses for this car? (Not including fuel and insurance)
My experience (60,000 miles)...if you put $100 in a jar every month you can take your sig other out for a very nice dinner at year-end. Keep the pot building for the next year.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:41 PM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

I agree with what we all say

Come on Jump in the Pool water is warm!

Last edited by PAULEB07; 12-02-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:05 PM
KayJay
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Bought my 2010 M6 1 LT new and now have 30K miles on it...have had none of the issues mentioned in your original post. Have never gotten less than 20 mpg...I may be lucky, but, my shifter is smooth and sure - have never even considered an MGW unit...as far as costs, I've only had to have annual oil/filter changes at about $100.00 a pop, had the cabin air filter changed and the clutch fluid replaced (another $100.00), so, my maintenance bills average way under $1k per year...should get another 5K out of the Goodyears. This has been one of the best cars I've ever owned and highly recommend the C6 generation. Just make sure you check out the car thoroughly and try to track down service records and use Carfax...this car still brings a smile to my face and looks brand new!!
Old 12-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

You can buy a lot of Techron for $2500!!! And have time/money left over to find a new mechanic...

Originally Posted by DJSpeece
I have a 2010 1LT MN6 with 77K miles (I am original owner). The only issue I have had is the fuel sending unit and associated gear which started several weeks ago. The gas gauge was zeroing out for a bit, then started acting normal, repeat at random intervals. Also got the CEL which would go out after a few cold starts, but then would return. I put two 20 oz bottles of Techron in a nearly empty tank, then filled up. The gas gauge started working normally 24 hours later, and CEL has gone out. However, I am proceeding with the repair once the parts come in -- apparently they are on chronic back-order for reasons unknown to me. My mechanic thinks it's only a matter of time before I am left stranded due to a failure of the tanks to distribute gasoline correctly (i.e., thinking I have a full tank from the gas gauge, but having fuel "stranded" in the secondary tank). It'll run about $2500. I love the car though and would buy it again in a heartbeat. I really don't know how common the problem is -- or if it is due to some incompetence from the GM parts braintrust -- or some combination of both. I suspect it is not a rare issue, however.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:10 AM
rmarks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only problem I have with mine is wiping out the front sub-frame every year or so. I'm getting good at changing it. But it is a real problem. Nothing else seems to go wrong.

Also, a screeching sound when I push down hard on the right pedal.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:06 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SSkariminia
Maybe less if no immediate problems arise, but the most part would be for tire cost, and you want good summer only to take advantage of the handling of the vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Pre-purchase researching

Quick Reply: Pre-purchase researching