C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Android Double Din

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 02:25 AM
Skanlez
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Installing Android Double Din

Hi guys, I plan on installing an Android Double Din Unit in my 2006 Corvette Z06. Installing a backup camera too. Can someone confirm what I have listed below is all I need to install the unit?

I understand that I may get bashed for wanting to install an Android Double Din but I have one installed in my 2006 G35 made by Parrot and I love it.

This is what I plan on ordering. Appreciate the help everyone.

Pumpkin Quad Core 7 inch 2 DIN Universal Android 4.4 Car Stereo Radio

Amazon.com : Pumpkin Quad Core 7 inch 2 DIN Universal Android 4.4 Car Stereo Radio HD 1024*600 Muti-touch Screen GPS Navigation Without DVD Player Support WIFI/3G/Bluetooth/OBD2/DVR/Mirror Link with Backup Camera : GPS & Navigation Amazon.com : Pumpkin Quad Core 7 inch 2 DIN Universal Android 4.4 Car Stereo Radio HD 1024*600 Muti-touch Screen GPS Navigation Without DVD Player Support WIFI/3G/Bluetooth/OBD2/DVR/Mirror Link with Backup Camera : GPS & Navigation

Metra Electronics - Metra 95-3304

Amazon.com: Metra Electronics - Metra 95-3304 Vehicle Mount For Radio - Abs Plastic - Matte Black "Product Category: Kits/Mounting Kits": Electronics Amazon.com: Metra Electronics - Metra 95-3304 Vehicle Mount For Radio - Abs Plastic - Matte Black "Product Category: Kits/Mounting Kits": Electronics

Metra 40-GM10 GM Antenna Adapter

Amazon.com: Metra 40-GM10 GM Antenna Adapter: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra 40-GM10 GM Antenna Adapter: Car Electronics

Joycon EXR Steering Wheel Control

Amazon.com: Joycon EXR Steering Wheel Control PC Interface with Accessories and USB Cable: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Joycon EXR Steering Wheel Control PC Interface with Accessories and USB Cable: Computers & Accessories

PAC OS2X Radio Replacement Interface with Onstar Retention for Select GM Class II Vehicles

Amazon.com: PAC OS2X Radio Replacement Interface with Onstar Retention for Select GM Class II Vehicles: Car Electronics Amazon.com: PAC OS2X Radio Replacement Interface with Onstar Retention for Select GM Class II Vehicles: Car Electronics

Last edited by Skanlez; 11-18-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:47 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Subbed.

I think that is all you need but I am looking to do something similer or the same unit.

Only thing I don't like about that unit itself is you have to put music on the internal 13GB memory and not the USB or SD slots. (a review states on USB it just starts autoplay from the begining on USB?)

SD must be dedicaded to the Nav by the description.

I do want something like that unit, I don't have unlimited data, so streaming music from pandora or the like is not an option for me.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Skanlez
Racer

Originally Posted by Grimlock13
Subbed.

I think that is all you need but I am looking to do something similer or the same unit.

Only thing I don't like about that unit itself is you have to put music on the internal 13GB memory and not the USB or SD slots. (a review states on USB it just starts autoplay from the begining on USB?)

SD must be dedicaded to the Nav by the description.

I do want something like that unit, I don't have unlimited data, so streaming music from pandora or the like is not an option for me.
Thanks for your response. I haven't ordered anything yet and wanted to make sure I have everything I need for the installation. A local shop will be doing it for me and only charging me like $200 to do it.

I have an Android Double Din by Parrot on my G35 and the SD card slot is dedicated to the Nav as well. Luckily for me, I still have unlimited Data from Verizon Wireless so I use my hotspot for Spotify, Pandora, and Waze.

Are there Android Units out there that uses the USB differently?
Old 11-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Metra mounting kit and Antenna look correct. I'm not sure about the harness. I dont have onstar, but I do have Blose, so used a different one. I got mine from Double D Mods, and he is not showing that harness as one he sells for the vette. His kit is most guaranteed to be the right one.

There are many android units out there. If you want to spend time researching them, head over to XDA-Developers android auto forums.

As for playing music from the USB, it depends on the music player app you have (if its a true Android system). Some apps rescan the whole USB library when it restarts, some players do not. GoneMAD player is reported to not rescan every time, but I haven't tried it yet.
The following users liked this post:
Skanlez (11-18-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 04:43 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Only other item I question in that list is the SWC board you picked, that seems like one that people use when they Adapt a tablet to be used as a "carputer" instead of a radio Head unit.

Though it may work just fine for the aplication.

As for your question on the USB, not sure on that either. Still doing research on which unit I want. I have all winter to pick one. I just noticed that in the reviews on that one, which i don't really like that, but if they all do it then I guess either live with it or get a "real" dedicated car stereo unit.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:48 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Why not call Double D? I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:00 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,508 Likes on 3,592 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Why not call Double D? I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.
Dennis at Double D is forum expert when it comes to radio installations.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:58 AM
Skanlez
Racer

Thanks everyone for their replies. I'll hit up Double D if I have questions. I'll be ordering my unit next week probably.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:21 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Skanlez
Thanks everyone for their replies. I'll hit up Double D if I have questions. I'll be ordering my unit next week probably.
also - Dennis used to carry the Parrot model (well he could get it) and he usually bundles everything including prewiring the harness. The bundle isn't free, but he knows these cars better than anybody. When I upgraded to a Kenwood this past spring, he set me up and the price was at least as good as Amazon, and the prewired harness made it REALLY easy.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,029 Likes on 2,183 Posts

The only thing I can not find is the output per speaker channel at the iso cable, so may end up having to run amps for output sound to the speakers instead.

Other than that, would make sure that the unit comes rooted or at least able to be rooted,

And would have a Satellite dvb-s2 Receiver installed now if you are having someone else install the radio. You can always just one of the usb ports to add in a dvb-t+dab receiver later.

As for the two usb ports on the back of the radio if you are not tying one up with either a sat receiver or 4g modem, have one extended to the center console grove box areas, and have the other one installed at at the cigar lighter plug area under the ash tray cover. Hence there is the mini usb jack on the face plate next to the sd card port, but with standard usb ports in other areas, you don't have USB wires hanging off the face for the deck instead.

Also, might want to see if there is a driver so you can run a usb elm-327, since if you have to run a blue tooth elm327 for say "Torque" app, then you end up with a lot more lag out of the blue tooth elm instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 11-19-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:13 PM
firestormxtreme
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mate i just installed a doube din android into mine the other day, im from the UK and made a post on the UK corvette forum if you wanted to look but ill post a summary of it

This is the link for the headunit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1818609750...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the link for the harness http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3907170018...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The harness kit is pretty good as it comes with the chime module that you will need once the stock unit has been taken out

Also youll need one of these

As the harness does not come with an iso connection and it just makes installation that much easier and neater
Old 11-19-2015, 10:44 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am interested to know how this unit works with the Bose system and the XM receiver.

Matt
Old 11-20-2015, 03:00 AM
Skanlez
Racer

Originally Posted by firestormxtreme
Hi mate i just installed a doube din android into mine the other day, im from the UK and made a post on the UK corvette forum if you wanted to look but ill post a summary of it

This is the link for the headunit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1818609750...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the link for the harness http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3907170018...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The harness kit is pretty good as it comes with the chime module that you will need once the stock unit has been taken out

Also youll need one of these

As the harness does not come with an iso connection and it just makes installation that much easier and neater
The last photo you posted, looks like some kind of harness. Do you have a part number for that?
Old 11-20-2015, 05:36 AM
firestormxtreme
Navigator

Originally Posted by Skanlez
The last photo you posted, looks like some kind of harness. Do you have a part number for that?
The picture is of a generic iso cable you will probably be able to get it from your local audio shop or amazon or ebay
Amazon.com: Carav 12-001 Universal Male ISO Car Radio Wire Cable Wiring Harness Stereo Adapter Connector Adaptor Plug Power and Loudspeaker: Electronics Amazon.com: Carav 12-001 Universal Male ISO Car Radio Wire Cable Wiring Harness Stereo Adapter Connector Adaptor Plug Power and Loudspeaker: Electronics
Old 11-20-2015, 05:40 AM
firestormxtreme
Navigator

Originally Posted by quickcat
I am interested to know how this unit works with the Bose system and the XM receiver.

Matt
Hi mate not too sure what the XM receiver is but the harness makes the unit work with the bose amp which is why i ordered it. If the XM Receiver has anything to do with onstar then it should work with that too.

Really happy with the headunit though looks 10x better than stock and works 10x better aswel. I fitted a backup camera and a DVR camera though this unit and it has a OBD app so you can monitor the car on your headunit using an obd adapter
Old 11-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,029 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by quickcat

Matt

The Bose part of the math is fine, since the Bose part is just an amp down line with speakers, and just connected to the radio via the ISO speaker wires out of the deck.

The OEM XM module in the car will not work with any aftermarket radio, Hence the OEM XM module only works with the factory radio since it's back and forth communication between the module and the radio is sent via the GM Lan Bus.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:57 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

I am in the market for a new headunit that has at least a 7+ band EQ and can digitally time your speakers. I was looking at the NEX 4100 from Pioneer. It is a good unit, but if I can have the same for less I might do that. Right now I have a Kennwood DDX719. Pretty old. Also my car is a 2006 so I don't need onstar or steering wheel controls. On top of that do these Android units come with an HD antenna?

Get notified of new replies

To Installing Android Double Din

Old 11-20-2015, 06:37 PM
firestormxtreme
Navigator

Originally Posted by Dano523
The Bose part of the math is fine, since the Bose part is just an amp down line with speakers, and just connected to the radio via the ISO speaker wires out of the deck.

The OEM XM module in the car will not work with any aftermarket radio, Hence the OEM XM module only works with the factory radio since it's back and forth communication between the module and the radio is sent via the GM Lan Bus.
I was under the impression that the bose amp worked off the canbus which is why i purchased the wiring interface harness. I could be wrong but i read that if you just wire it straight without the interface the bose unit stops working as that is what happened with another person i know that installed an after market head unit without the PAC os-2x unit. Not sure how important the xm receiver is anyway as i just download a whole youtube playlist of 500 songs and thats pretty much sorted out my music for the car and it has the added benefit of being a video.
Also most android unit have sd and usb connections so just put a load of mp3's and your good to go
Old 11-21-2015, 01:18 AM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you want to do some tricky wiring redo, you need the expensive harness. From what I remember, the factory plug does not have a standard 12v ignition power (red); only a 12v constant power (yellow). I think the ignition wire that GM uses, to tell the head unit when to turn on and off, is too low voltage for most after-market units.

Also, the Blose system sends low voltage signals from the head unit, to the Blose amp, then the amp powers the 7 speakers. So sending powered outputs that an after market head unit has to the Blose amp, can cause distortion/bad audio quality.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:54 AM
Skanlez
Racer

Originally Posted by Firewater Burns
Unless you want to do some tricky wiring redo, you need the expensive harness. From what I remember, the factory plug does not have a standard 12v ignition power (red); only a 12v constant power (yellow). I think the ignition wire that GM uses, to tell the head unit when to turn on and off, is too low voltage for most after-market units.

Also, the Blose system sends low voltage signals from the head unit, to the Blose amp, then the amp powers the 7 speakers. So sending powered outputs that an after market head unit has to the Blose amp, can cause distortion/bad audio quality.
Thanks for the response. The one I was pointed to cost around $80 (regarding price around ¢100).

Will get everything installed after Thanksgiving. Will post after

Quick Reply: Installing Android Double Din