C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Explain your User Name

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:54 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I am computer programmer. Unix is an operating system that was developed in the town I was born in and by a guy who went to high school with my step dad.

I have worked with Unix plenty but I didn't realize I had a connection to the guy who created it until after he passed away a couple of years ago. It's also part of my email address and makes me feel corny when I have to spell it out for folks on the phone.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:17 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

When I got my first Corvette, my daughter said I was an old woman, now. So I jokingly took it on as a moniker on a few other sites, but got tired of being oldwomanc6, so I shortened it to owc6.

I'm not really old, but am becoming moreso everyday that goes by.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:03 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
When I got my first Corvette, my daughter said I was an old woman, now. So I jokingly took it on as a moniker on a few other sites, but got tired of being oldwomanc6, so I shortened it to owc6.

I'm not really old, but am becoming moreso everyday that goes by.
And how is the young Mrs. Ow doing tonight?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, for what it's worth, my father had this nic-name he was given because he'd stop at his favorite watering hole for a beer after church on Sunday mornings and his friends told him it was like the "Reverend" was holding vesper services at the bar. Needless to say that this eventually evolved into my father earning the name the Reverend. Over time, my father, after asking me for several years why I drove a Corvette, got rid of his Lincoln MK V and purchased his first Vette, a '79 with '78 airdam and rear spoiler and, eventually, people referred to it as Rev's Vette. Eventually he owned an '80 L82 Corvette that I had custom painted two-tone for him that he really enjoyed and I had a custom silk-screened hat done for him with that car on it entitled "Revette". That's where my name comes from.

Here's my father's L82. The dark red was the factory color and I had Chrysler garnet red and orange pinstripes added to it. One year, vandals broke into the building his car was stored for the winter and totally trashed the car, smashing the glass tops and destroying the dash in an attempt to rip the Alpine stereo out of it. While the Corvette was in the bodyshop being repaired, my father sold the car. It seemed the vandals destroyed more than his car.
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2015, 09:11 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
And how is the young Mrs. Ow doing tonight?
Outstanding!

And You, and yours?
Old 11-17-2015, 09:30 PM
Fastone27
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Revette
Well, for what it's worth, my father had this nic-name he was given because he'd stop at his favorite watering hole for a beer after church on Sunday mornings and his friends told him it was like the "Reverend" was holding vesper services at the bar. Needless to say that this eventually evolved into my father earning the name the Reverend. Over time, my father, after asking me for several years why I drove a Corvette, got rid of his Lincoln MK V and purchased his first Vette, a '79 with '78 airdam and rear spoiler and, eventually, people referred to it as Rev's Vette. Eventually he owned an '80 L82 Corvette that I had custom painted two-tone for him that he really enjoyed and I had a custom silk-screened hat done for him with that car on it entitled "Revette". That's where my name comes from.

Here's my father's L82. The dark red was the factory color and I had Chrysler garnet red and orange pinstripes added to it. One year, vandals broke into the building his car was stored for the winter and totally trashed the car, smashing the glass tops and destroying the dash in an attempt to rip the Alpine stereo out of it. While the Corvette was in the bodyshop being repaired, my father sold the car. It seemed the vandals destroyed more than his car.
What a story/ Great and Sad at the same time.... Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Outstanding!

And You, and yours?
Fine thanks!
Old 11-18-2015, 07:52 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Good info, but you haven't explained your name...

Mine was given to me by a Chevy salesman who was surprised by my technical questions; but he did know most of the answers.
We bought a new Z28 Camaro and then two new Corvettes (2001 & 2006) from him, too bad he's retired now. Always gave us a good deal without hassles.
Yeah, I get tired of 'splainin' its dual meaning. OK, the first part, "AO" is for the car: Atomic Orange. Luv the color, but it's an either or thing: either you do, or you don't.

And the "roads" part is for the English style of describing a "convertible" or soft-top car: a "roadster." Note: those fellows over there also call a convertible a "drop head" but that's usually reserved for a four seater, two door! Four seats!

I also use the word "roads" to mean to me, all roads are meant to be for the Atomic Orange Corvette. Except that one road coming back from the Museum the first time......(gps took me on a continually-narrowing paved, then dirt road that became a trail! I almost had to back out of it before I fell off the hillside!)
Old 11-18-2015, 08:44 AM
ssmike56
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Revette

Wow, great story! It's a real shame that some scumbag trashed the car just to get at the stereo! Desperation!

Originally Posted by AORoads
Yeah, I get tired of 'splainin' its dual meaning. OK, the first part, "AO" is for the car: Atomic Orange. Luv the color, but it's an either or thing: either you do, or you don't.

And the "roads" part is for the English style of describing a "convertible" or soft-top car: a "roadster." Note: those fellows over there also call a convertible a "drop head" but that's usually reserved for a four seater, two door! Four seats!

I also use the word "roads" to mean to me, all roads are meant to be for the Atomic Orange Corvette. Except that one road coming back from the Museum the first time......(gps took me on a continually-narrowing paved, then dirt road that became a trail! I almost had to back out of it before I fell off the hillside!)
I had the same thing happen to me in my work truck while towing a trailer full of equipment. GPS took me down a paved, then gravel, then dirt, then trail road and I had to back out about 1/2 mile until I could maneuver a turn around! Not fun!
Old 11-18-2015, 08:56 AM
cruzr6
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

cruzr6

80% interstate driving
retired army - my call signs ended in "6"
Old 11-18-2015, 12:09 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,055 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by AORoads

The AO part was easy, but the "roads" had me puzzled. Thanks.

EDIT:
I had the same GPS problem when bringing our car home from the dealer in North Carolina. Got into a maze of mixed pavement and gravel that took over an hour to escape.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 11-18-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:16 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by ssmike56

I had the same thing happen to me in my work truck while towing a trailer full of equipment. GPS took me down a paved, then gravel, then dirt, then trail road and I had to back out about 1/2 mile until I could maneuver a turn around! Not fun!
I am glad my backing up consisted of only a dozen yards or so. Anything more and I would've fallen off the road. My backing up skills for some reason are very lacking.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:41 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Gering is my last name.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:00 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastone27
What a story/ Great and Sad at the same time.... Thanks for sharing!
You know, it was really strange. My father had been a "car guy" all his life driving a V16 Cadillac limo to the scrap yard to be cut up for the war effort, driving '41 Cadillac, Oldsmobile and Buick Convertibles, and a slew of later Cadillacs and Lincolns. When his '80 Corvette got trashed it really took the wind out of his sails, he was never quite the same after that.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Rocket-J
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rocket-J

In the 60's I raced dirt bikes. At that time Rocky and Bullwinkle were very popular. With the last name of Rock you would think they would call me Rocky. Nope, never. But I was called Rocket J. after Rocket J. Squirrel one of the most popular Super Hero's of the time.
I am honored to carry the handle of Rocket-J in his memory.

Last edited by Rocket-J; 11-18-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-18-2015, 10:25 PM
79inSD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My user name is a pretty easy one, my first vett was a 79 c3 and I lived in San Diego.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:15 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

CQ DX 20 --- if you know what that means......

Get notified of new replies

To Explain your User Name

Old 11-18-2015, 11:52 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I will make it as short as possible...

First time I went deer hunting, long ago, I aimed at a nice buck that was around 350 yards away. When I fired and brought the rifle down from recoil, I looked through the scope, and he was still standing, right where he had been. I elevated the aim point 6", fired, and he went down. Hiked over to the buck, and found two dead bucks, identical racks, almost lying on top of each other. First one was shot in the heart/lung and went down immediately. Guy behind him took the next round in the spine. Yes, very much against the law. Fortunately, my friend had not filled his tag yet, so I took one, and he took one. Since then, my friend, and a few others, call me buckmeister (2!).
Old 11-19-2015, 03:15 AM
OIF2XVET
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased my first Corvette while I was on R&R leave from my second deployment to Iraq. Plus it's also a play on words for military vet and Corvette (VETTE). So in other words it is:

Operation Iraqi Freedom two times veteran, even though I have been deployed a total of 6 times between Iraq and Afghanistan now.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:21 AM
scraper
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I scrap out substation transformers. My name is scraper.

Quick Reply: Explain your User Name