C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Lic Plate!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Eventually, I am planning on getting a show mount that will detach. I will mount the base, and keep the plate on the second part of the assembly in one of the rear cubbies. I doubt a LEO will still give a ticket if you can attach it for him, right there (as long as you aren't being an ***).

But I am not too worried about it...
I did not have a front plate on my Trans Am for ~ 13 years in Houston/Dallas/Austin. Never got pulled over just for no plate. I did drive it aggressively in high school and for some years after, so it would usually get a mention when I picked up my yearly speeding tax, errr, ticket.

I have not run a front plate on the Vette in the past 5 years in Houston/Dallas/Austin. I was daily driving it in Houston, and the only time it has been mentioned was when I was stopped for speeding by a Texas State Trooper near Sherman. He must have been having a good day (or was just a fellow enthusiast), because he gave me warnings for the three tickets I was looking at. Then told me to get a mount that attaches under/behind the bumper (like Top Flight and a few others offer) so I wouldn't need to drill into the front.

Of course these are just anecdotes, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Firewater Burns; 11-14-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:23 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Torchsport
5 years now with no warnings for having my plate on my dashboard.

I think that looks worse than having it mounted in the front

this is my set up:

Old 11-14-2015, 03:40 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Having lived most of my adult life in the Bay Area in the People's Republic of California, I had operated most of my cars without a front plate. Never had a mumbling word from any of the many police officers that had stopped me for "other concerns". Then several of the cities in the area installed those intersection cameras to juice up the revenue from "red light runners" and they all began to enforce the front plate law. I even got pulled over in my 00 Camaro Z28 expressly for that violation. That was usually the probable cause for pulling over a kid at 2am just to see what he was up to, or an added "cherry on top" citing when stopped for something far more heinous. I am now living in Placer County, north east of Sacramento, and haven't had a single problem with the Corvette not having a front plate. I'll probably regret that I said that.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:48 PM
02_NHRA_TA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The Top Flight bracket looks great but it wouldn't work with my Vararam cai. I had my Trans Am for 8 years, have had my C300 for 5 years and the C6 for 3 months and haven't been cited for it. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:48 PM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

When I purchased my 2005 6 years ago it was already drilled into the front bumper!!!
Old 11-14-2015, 07:58 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

I recently installed a front plate on my car. Got pulled over by a local cop, but got a warning as he saw I purchased the car two weeks prior. I opted for a double sticky tape one so I can unscrew it later if I want to. Took off the double sided white tape before I installed it. Made sure I used the grey colored 3M double stick tape to mount the bracket as the white stuf dries out and could fall off of the car. Bought a cheap thin black licence plate frame from O'Reilly to complete the job and it looks o.k. I don't like that it slows down the air flow to the radiator, but so far the cooling is fine.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:09 PM
_05C6_
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts

I agree the plate on the dash looks ridiculous. I'm running without a front plate now. Hopefully that trend will last.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:21 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by CrvtBB
Unfortunately MD also requires a front plate and the State Troopers don't take kindly to non-compliance. I've found the Top Flight bracket is a good alternative to the factory bracket.
Yep, I don't know why the MD state troopers have such an issue. The county cops don't seem to care.

I have this one. I like it, but it sits only about 5 inches above the ground on the base; it flips and sits in the middle of the the "mouth" on my Z06.
http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...lack-anodized/
Old 11-14-2015, 09:42 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I think that looks worse than having it mounted in the front...
Originally Posted by _05C6_
I agree the plate on the dash looks ridiculous.
Meh. Doesn't bother me...
Old 11-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Bazinga
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree the plate on the dash looks ridiculous. I'm running without a front plate now. Hopefully that trend will last.
I also live in Katy and was talking to a Katy officer that works an extra job at the bank I use. I asked about the plate being on the dash and his answer was "state law requires it to be on the front bumper".
If I'm not mistaken, my 2012 GS does not have a bumper just a bumper cover. The reason DPS and all other agencies give a s**t about this law is it gives them probable cause for a traffic stop and nothing more.
The following users liked this post:
67miata (05-27-2020)
Old 11-14-2015, 10:58 PM
corvettecolin
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

We have to have them here in New Zealand. I got one printed and stuck it to the front myself.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
B747VET (11-10-2020)
Old 11-14-2015, 11:26 PM
dariodelconte
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jshot00
If the State of Texas thinks I am going to drill into the front facia of my car for the front Lic Plate, they are crazy! How may run without even though the state requires it??

ny
Old 11-14-2015, 11:30 PM
scottaolsen
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

You can't really see the front plate while you're driving the car. In fact, I can't see the front plate when the car's parked in the garage.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:29 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

No front plate for me on any of my Vettes except for the ones that had a built in holder. I'm in Texas also.
Never had a problem, but I understand DPS around Austin is cracking down on this.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I refuse to mount a front plate on my 'vette.

Oh,...wait,...Florida doesn't require one.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:08 AM
oce09g
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time we drove our vette we got pulled over for no front place and got a ticket. Talked with the prosecutor and got it dismissed since I had installed the front plate. Missouri. The license place holder provided by GM fell off the car after about 2 weeks being on. Solution. Bent the plate on the bottom all the way across leaving all the numbers and letters visible. Drilled a small hole in the middle of the plate. Removed a small screw holding the splitter up and shoved the bent part of the license place in just above the splitter. Replaced the screw. Been there for 4 years now and hasn't moved.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:40 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Bazinga
I also live in Katy and was talking to a Katy officer that works an extra job at the bank I use. I asked about the plate being on the dash and his answer was "state law requires it to be on the front bumper".
If I'm not mistaken, my 2012 GS does not have a bumper just a bumper cover. The reason DPS and all other agencies give a s**t about this law is it gives them probable cause for a traffic stop and nothing more.
The new revised law went into affect Sept.1st of last year.(Plate Must Be Up front) putting it on the dash might get you pulled over, there is no excuse for not knowing the law.as they say.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Lic Plate!

Old 11-15-2015, 12:49 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Only the Rednecks put it on the dash.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:21 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by oce09g
The first time we drove our vette we got pulled over for no front place and got a ticket. Talked with the prosecutor and got it dismissed since I had installed the front plate. Missouri. The license place holder provided by GM fell off the car after about 2 weeks being on. Solution. Bent the plate on the bottom all the way across leaving all the numbers and letters visible. Drilled a small hole in the middle of the plate. Removed a small screw holding the splitter up and shoved the bent part of the license place in just above the splitter. Replaced the screw. Been there for 4 years now and hasn't moved.
That is where mine is also, except it is on an aluminum bracket that spans the middle 3 bolts between the bumper cover and the stock GS (Z06) splitter.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:31 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

When I purchased my C6 PO had already mounted the factory front plate holder. Rather than take it off and either repair the front or purchase a new one, I just run with the plate. I drive it daily, and figure it's just one less "thing" that I can be pulled over for.

I have also heard the locals are cracking down on no front plate in the Austin area. I know someone that was pulled over for it and got a warning recently. I find the locals to be car friendly to vettes in general, though.

Quick Reply: Front Lic Plate!