C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Grand Sport Issues to know about?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

LS3 engine has it all power, reliability, and the ability to fix it yourself!

I was reading Automotive Technology (mechanics text book) and it talks about OHC, multi cam, 4 valve engines, direct injection, variable valve timing etc...they talk about more efficient, lower weight, less friction etc how these things makes the engine more effective and the ability to produce more power.

Really?
I start thinking about the S65 engine in the M3 that I owned and how it had most of these things.....revved to 8400 with around a 12 to 1 compression ratio and yet it produces less horsepower, less torque, engine itself costs 2x to 3x what the LS3 does, and has more maintenance issues and tons of problems. In fact one reason I sold it was the amount of engines that were exploding due to connecting rod bearing clearance issues...

Then I came across this comment from DOUG FEHAN ...CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER .....

"You know, as a testament to that, I sit on the committee that formlates the rules for global GT racing. Every manufacturer is represented—it’s the BMW guy, it’s the ferrari guy, it’s the Jaguar guy, it’s the Porsche guy, it’s the Aston Martin guy. These are very exotic vehicles, super-high price tags, very exotic powerplants, multi-cam, multi-valve, super-high revving, very expensive. You know what their singing song is? “Your small block V8 engine...we can’t compete with that.” I said, “Guys...guys, if our engine is as great as you say it is, why don’t you have it in your car? Why are you building these big, complicated, massive, chain-driven, multi-valve engines?” They don’t have an answer! When you look at cost, performance, efficiency, power, torque, maintenance,warranty...a 5-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty. Hello? They can’t do that. You don’t get that with the others. You get it all with Corvette. That’s a testament to the longevity, the design robustness, durability of our small block V8s. Single cam. Two valves—it gets it done."

Grand sport for the win!

Last edited by Cor430vette; 11-10-2015 at 11:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cor430vette:
--Z06-- (11-11-2015), Not So Fast (11-11-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 11:30 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk541
I actually went and checked it out this afternoon. That is exactly what it was and it looked hideous. I told the dealer that would need to be addressed if we were to make a deal. He told me no problem. So we are in negotiations now.
What happened to it having to be completely stock? Seems foolish to change the thing that makes a rare car rare (assuming it is factory built that way). On the other hand it will make that combination even more rare.

Whatever color the headlights.... You will like that car. They are great to drive!

Matt
Old 11-11-2015, 01:27 AM
hillwilliam
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

only problem I have seen is being able to see over my cheeks from grinning so much when I drive it. its rare I have a car for a year, I will keep this one a while. 11gs, manual, 3lt, under 3k miles, silver
Old 11-11-2015, 07:52 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 452 Likes on 276 Posts

We bought our 13 GS M6 convertible new two years ago and we have 25,000 trouble free miles on it. Got rid of the GY's at 16,000 miles. Love the Bridgestone Potenza's. The oil gets changed every 3,000 miles and I just changed out the clutch fluid using the ranger method and it is now clear instead of dark brown. The only issue I ever have is the splitter dragging the ground on my driveway and the road in sharp dips. The only other problem is that I can't get my a** out of the seat.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 69 L46 4 Speed; 11-11-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:08 AM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

Originally Posted by quickcat
What happened to it having to be completely stock? Seems foolish to change the thing that makes a rare car rare (assuming it is factory built that way). On the other hand it will make that combination even more rare.

Whatever color the headlights.... You will like that car. They are great to drive!

Matt
The silver headlights might make it rare, but it also makes it looks awful.

From the photos it looks ok, but in person it looks just like they were finishing off this car and they got to the step where they install the lights and they ran out of red ones so they just grabbed a pair from a silver car sitting nearby. The blade silver color matches nothing else on the vehicle and it does not compliment the appearance in any way. And even though I am requesting them to change out a factory installed item, it is only to be with another factory original part done by a GM bodyshop. In my book, that is still stock.

2011 Grand Sport with Blade Silver Headlights

Last edited by jdk541; 11-16-2015 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Added Photo
Old 11-11-2015, 01:22 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

One problem I have is with my 2013 GS - M6 -- is nothing goes wrong with it so you never get to meet anyone in the service field. Wish you to have the same problem,
Old 11-11-2015, 01:46 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I'm not a wrench nut but from what I've experienced and read about the LS3, it seems that it is the epitome of Chevy engines, solid, reliable and hauls the mail quite well. If you care to mod it like some here have the results are spectacular.
Take a look at the section on best 1/4 mi. times at the front of the forums
NSF

After owning a C6Z LS7 my 13 GS is heaven.

The Z was one problem after the other, engine, CV boots, Tranny, Clutch and others. The GS, I drive and sleep well at night.

As mentioned above, all is correct.

Good luck, 2k
Old 11-12-2015, 10:04 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Only recurring theme with the C6--all models, all years--is the seats. Lots of threads on here about fixing some of the problems like rocking and the disintegrating bottom cushion. Aside from that, you might experience minor quality issues--as you would with most used cars--that need addressing, but major ticket items like powertrain/drivetrain/suspension, etc are pretty much bulletproof.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:59 AM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I actually went and checked it out this afternoon. That is exactly what it was and it looked hideous. I told the dealer that would need to be addressed if we were to make a deal. He told me no problem. So we are in negotiations now.
LOL! Well, I guess that's why it is such a rare combination.
It will be around $2K to swap them out. You could do it yourself. There are threads on here about how to remove the lenses and replace the light buckets with carbon fiber ones. You could just as easily have them painted the body color or black or cyber grey which were the other two option codes.

As far as other concerns the GS is great once you swap out the factory GY tires for Michelin or Bridgestone or equivalent. I went with Michelin PSS's. Great tires.

Best of luck with your journey.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:03 AM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

recently purchased a slightly used 2012 GS ( cyber grey ) 13k miles , auto 3LT -- the only complaint I had was the stock brakes threw a ton of dust and squeaks ( after market brakes corrected this issue )
Old 11-13-2015, 06:55 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

The silver headlights might make it rare, but it also makes it looks awful.

From the photos it looks ok, but in person it looks just like they were finishing off this car and they got to the step where they install the lights and they ran out of red ones so they just grabbed a pair from a silver car sitting nearby. The blade silver color matches nothing else on the vehicle and it does not compliment the appearance in any way. And even though I am requesting them to change out a factory installed item, it is only to be with another factory original part done by a GM bodyshop. In my book, that is still stock.
Jim, I haven't read through the tread so forgive me if my comments are repetitious.

The headlamp buckets to which you refer are always installed as the same color as the body on the assembly line.
That car was either special ordered with Blade Silver headlamp buckets, or the car was originally Blade Silver, and repainted without the headlamps replaced to match because they are so expensive.
There is no way that car left the factory with that combination as a normal "stock" order.

As for the sales guy telling you, "no problem", and promising to swap them out,....you should get that in writing, because the salesman probably has no clue how much they cost, and probably will try to back out, unless they are making a huge profit on that car.

I ordered my car with a Blade Silver body, and it would have come with Blade Silver headlamps, but I paid $531.00 to have Black installed.

Good luck to you, what ever you do.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:27 AM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

28k on my purchased new '12 GS 'vert. No problems that are GS specific.
Only maintenance expenses, tires and oil changes.
The dealer graciously replaced a cracked windshield n/c.
Windshield seems excessively prone to chips.
The new one already looks like the night sky in certain light.
Might want to take a close look at that.
The seat does a tiny rocking thing occasionally on takeoff.
Rear valance tends to collect gravel.
I plan on keeping it 'till one of us expires.
On the headlight bucket color thing, the designers made them body color for a reason and I'll leave it at that.
Regarding the LS3, I do get some of the piston slap noise? when the car is cold for 5 minutes or so.

Last edited by Joe B.; 11-13-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

The primary malady effecting the Grand Sport Corvette is that GS owners seem to develop some pretty big heads regarding their car choice.

Except for the headlights it sounds like a nice car. Good Luck!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:36 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

So I did pull the trigger and purchased the car yesterday. It was a trade in at the local BMW dealership here in the Phoenix area. They did agree and put it in writing that they would paint the buckets to match the rest of the vehicle. They are also replacing the windshield due to a small crack and I also asked them to replace the door sill decal on the driver's side which was starting to peel at one corner. Other than that the car is in great shape. 2011 with just over 20K miles on the clock. It was a one owner vehicle and it has been in Arizona it's entire life.

The dealer I purchased it from also owns a Chevrolet dealership so I am sure they have it over at their body-shop now getting those buckets replaced.

Hameister - Your off-setting buckets look great. If the ones on my car were that color, I would have left them alone. The blade silver just didn't match the Torch Red in my opinion.

Hopefully I will get to pick her up this weekend. I will post a few photos when she is sitting in my driveway.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,511 Likes on 1,016 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Best of luck congrats and enjoy!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:50 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
The primary malady effecting the Grand Sport Corvette is that GS owners seem to develop some pretty big heads regarding their car choice.

Except for the headlights it sounds like a nice car. Good Luck!
I think most heads are about the same size aren't they?
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

So I did pull the trigger and purchased the car yesterday. It was a trade in at the local BMW dealership here in the Phoenix area. They did agree and put it in writing that they would paint the buckets to match the rest of the vehicle. They are also replacing the windshield due to a small crack and I also asked them to replace the door sill decal on the driver's side which was starting to peel at one corner. Other than that the car is in great shape. 2011 with just over 20K miles on the clock. It was a one owner vehicle and it has been in Arizona it's entire life.

The dealer I purchased it from also owns a Chevrolet dealership so I am sure they have it over at their body-shop now getting those buckets replaced.

Hameister - Your off-setting buckets look great. If the ones on my car were that color, I would have left them alone. The blade silver just didn't match the Torch Red in my opinion.

Hopefully I will get to pick her up this weekend. I will post a few photos when she is sitting in my driveway.
Well alrighty then,...Must say I am surprised they are painting those buckets.
It would be easy if the lenses were removable but they are not.
The process is so extensive and time consuming, I'm surprised they agreed.
Anyway, enjoy the hell outta your new ride!

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
I think most heads are about the same size aren't they?

Get notified of new replies

To Any Grand Sport Issues to know about?

Old 11-13-2015, 02:11 PM
BROCKYJACK
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

My 2011 GS A6/3LT Torch Red has 36k and not one problem except a failed hvac head fixed under warranty. I love it. Fixing to put ceramic pads on it as I am tired of excessive brake dust. Love a red vette.
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Grand Sport Jim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Great toys

2011 3LT Crystal Red Metallic...35,000 miles.....nothing but tires and oil....and a little premium fuel
They're especially cool in the snow
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2015, 05:02 PM
jmarch313
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NONE, NONE, NONE

My 2010 Torch Red, Grand Sport Coupe, with Dry Sump has only had the Battery replaced, other than that there has only been routine maintenance!

I love this Vette!

Quick Reply: Any Grand Sport Issues to know about?