C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waxing the Corvette(or any car)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:00 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Me Tarzan !!.....I don't need no stinking directions on how to wax a car !!!!!......lOLOLOL
Old 11-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Never have and never will.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:02 AM
R50THC5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero_6
Takes me 1hr30 to wax.
or a full wash/wax detail, then 6 pack of beer and lots of micro fiber towels.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:07 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 744 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by jshot00
Will not need any paint corrections as this car was garaged by the original owner since purchase 8 years ago!! I am not sure it has ever been waxed!!
That may not be entirely true. The act of washing a car is the most common means of introducing swirls,and RIDS to the paint. It all starts with properly washing the vehicle.
First if you have a high intensity halogen or a LED/HID flashlight look over the paint-you will be surprised. The car as it comes from the dealer alone will more cases than not have defects due to their efforts upon delivery.
Most people believe the "2 Bucket " method to be the best way to reduce introducing defects. I have another belief-which for me has served me well.
Polishing is the only way to minimize/remove these defects. There are many products out that and there is not one "wonder product that does all. Over the years I have spent more than I dare say on products, and my current collection would be enough to stock the forum. Different paints will react differently with same product-so it's really a matter of what works best for you and your time-technique- desire and funds. Autogeek was mentioned and that's a real good starting point. Research first.
N o matter what you use-from the best of the coatings ( Opti-Gloss,C Quartz) to sealants to wax's and hybrid wax's- these are meant to protect first and will subtly enhance what you have- not " make it shine". That real shine comes from polishing.
The following users liked this post:
jshot00 (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 11:57 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by jshot00
I learned from the washing thread, but now a little input on how you guys wax your car?
http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Old 11-11-2015, 12:32 PM
mlsins
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I usually apply the wax ... then let is dry for awhile ... then wipe it off

Old 11-11-2015, 01:17 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 821 Likes on 390 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

These type of threads usually get beat to death and many times drift off topic. The original question was "input on how you guys wax your car?"

Now does he really mean how do you correct the paint if it has swirls and scratches or does he mean what he asks, how do we wax our cars?

I use a good carnauba paste wax that i apply to one panel and then to a different panel in a location away from the first. As soon as I have applied the wax to the second panel I return to the first panel and with a super soft microfiber towel I remove the wax. I then apply a coat to a third panel and then return to the second panel for removing the wax. I do procedure until the car is complete. I do this because the wax I use needs to be removed before it dries completely.

That is how I wax my car.

I did post earlier about paint correction and a full detail that is finished with the application of the wax, but that is a totally different subject.

Last edited by BWF07; 11-11-2015 at 01:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jshot00 (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 01:58 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Go to autogeek dot com,watch the how to videos. Everything you ever wanted to know about waxing,sealing,polishing,detailing,clay bar and more.
What he said...read about cleaning and prep.
Personally, I like multiple light coats of Zaino, but to each his own.
At the end of the day, like painting a room, it's all in the prep.

Last edited by BSE1956; 11-11-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:11 PM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
These type of threads usually get beat to death and many times drift off topic. The original question was "input on how you guys wax your car?"

Now does he really mean how do you correct the paint if it has swirls and scratches or does he mean what he asks, how do we wax our cars?

I use a good carnauba paste wax that i apply to one panel and then to a different panel in a location away from the first. As soon as I have applied the wax to the second panel I return to the first panel and with a super soft microfiber towel I remove the wax. I then apply a coat to a third panel and then return to the second panel for removing the wax. I do procedure until the car is complete. I do this because the wax I use needs to be removed before it dries completely.

That is how I wax my car.

I did post earlier about paint correction and a full detail that is finished with the application of the wax, but that is a totally different subject.
Finally some usefull info
Old 11-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 893 Likes on 378 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

I've been waxed twice, and it hurts.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:03 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
If all you want to do is wash the car then wax it that is easy. Wash, dry, apply wax let it haze over and remove. Done car is washed and waxed.

If you want to car to be show ready there is a lot more involved after the wash and dry. Step one is to clay bar the complete car. A corvette can be done in less then an hour in most instances. After that you need to do what ever paint correction that is need to remove the swirls, and minor scratches, then polish then paint finish this is what makes it shine. Follow that with a good quality paint sealer, and finish it off with a good paste wax. Al this will take a few days if you do it right and I recommend a good random orbital buffer. Don't try and use a high speed circular buffer unless you have a lot of experience with them. You will end up doing more harm then good with one.

A lot of work for show ready!!

Old 11-11-2015, 08:03 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I usually apply the wax ... then let is dry for awhile ... then wipe it off
Very technical process. I may try it!
Old 11-11-2015, 08:22 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Had paint correction done and Flightshield applied. No more waxing to maintain the shine. No more oxidation and pretty difficult to scratch with good washing techniques.

Quick Reply: Waxing the Corvette(or any car)