C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many people use run flat

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Once the TMPS told me that it was the driver rear tire, then once I was at the hotel, I sprayed soapy water over the tire threads and saw where the bubbles came from.
I move the car so the area of the tire with the screw was easily accessible.
I pumped up the pressure to 40 psi, then removed the screw with the side cutter pliers. I then reamed out the hole with the tool provided with the kit, then inserted the plug into the hole using the supplied tool and tire plug.
Since the plug is super sticky with glue, once you get it in the tire, you twist the tool and pull it out which leaves the plug in the tire. Simply cut the part of the plug that sticks out close to the tire with the side cutters, check that it is no longer leaking with the soapy water, then reduce the air pressure in the tire to normal pressure.

Here is a similar plug kit to mine

Those kits having changed. That is the kit I carried in my dodge van in the late 70's and I did use it and it worked.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 11-02-2015 at 08:53 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-02-2015, 09:06 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

On my 03 C5 I kept the GY runflats until I replaced them with Micheline runlets.
My 13 C6 still has the original GY runflats with 20K and good amount of tread left.

I will not have a vette without runflats. Now I have only had 1 flat tire in 12 years and 70K plus miles on 2 vetted. The flat I had was because of construction in our subdivision, we where the first house in this section.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:25 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

[QUOTE=LV2TOUR;1590820621]Once the TMPS told me that it was the driver rear tire, then once I was at the hotel, I sprayed soapy water over the tire threads and saw where the bubbles came from.
I move the car so the area of the tire with the screw was easily accessible.
I pumped up the pressure to 40 psi, then removed the screw with the side cutter pliers. I then reamed out the hole with the tool provided with the kit, then inserted the plug into the hole using the supplied tool and tire plug.
Since the plug is super sticky with glue, once you get it in the tire, you twist the tool and pull it out which leaves the plug in the tire. Simply cut the part of the plug that sticks out close to the tire with the side cutters, check that it is no longer leaking with the soapy water, then reduce the air pressure in the tire to normal pressure.

Here is a similar plug kit to mine

Thanks for the info and pics!! I'll be getting the kit!!

Old 11-03-2015, 06:28 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by LSD 2005
I've had a couple of blowouts (and flat tires) with my Run Flats and each incident was able to drive to a tire center for repair or replacement.
Blowouts? Really? Nails and screws and such are always going to be a hazard , but I thought that with today's tire tech, "blowouts" were a thing of the past!

Old 11-03-2015, 06:42 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm almost 53 years old,I been driving since I was 16. I have had 3 flat tires in that time and none in the last 25 years. I bought Hankook Ventus evo2 non runflat and I love em'!!! Ride quality goes way up!!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Maybe, maybe not! But it sounds flattering, anyway, thanks!

The ow stands for Old Woman. Started out as a joke, but every year that goes by makes it more true.
Ha! Who would have guessed that was the meaning? Oh well, nuttin' we can do about it except hang around with older people. That's what I do, FWIW. It doesn't slow down Father Time though.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:51 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Maybe, maybe not! But it sounds flattering, anyway, thanks!

The ow stands for Old Woman. Started out as a joke, but every year that goes by makes it more true.
Well then, if I may be so bold....how old is the person in question here....over 30....over 40....over 50.....over 60...OK, i'll stop there.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I just carry this little kit in my cubby in the back. It's an air compressor and inserts slime while airing up.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Safety-Saf...ingMethod=p13n

Even though I drive a lot, I really don't get flats at all. I remember getting one when I was 17 or so (I'm 44 now) but who knows how old and crappy those tires were.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well then, if I may be so bold....how old is the person in question here....over 30....over 40....over 50.....over 60...OK, i'll stop there.
I believe Mrs. Ow is over 50, but less than 60. But if she gets mad, remember YOU asked!

I'm just the messenger.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:35 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bruze
I believe Mrs. Ow is over 50, but less than 60. But if she gets mad, remember YOU asked!

I'm just the messenger.
Well BRUZE....you got more B@#@LS than me....I always start low when guessing a females age...lOL. Don't think we've heard back, so maybe between my asking and your guess we may have insulted someone eh ? Oh well....won't be my first time.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well BRUZE....you got more B@#@LS than me....I always start low when guessing a females age...lOL. Don't think we've heard back, so maybe between my asking and your guess we may have insulted someone eh ? Oh well....won't be my first time.
I think I recall correctly (unless dementia is taking over ) her mentioning her approximate age elsewhere on the forum.

I would NOT have just taken a wild guess at something like that.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:44 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I think I recall correctly (unless dementia is taking over ) her mentioning her approximate age elsewhere on the forum.

I would NOT have just taken a wild guess at something like that.
Not insulted at all . I don't have a problem with people knowing my age. I'm closer to 60 than 50 .

Just don't ask my weight.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:29 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,804 Likes on 3,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Gering
Were you using the Goodyear's that came with the Vet, or some other brand. The Goodyear's are trash IMO.
original F1's.. i do not drive my vette enough to justify putting up with that CRAP ride and noise to go RF again. i couldn't be happier with the Contis i put on.. so quiet, handle great and even smoothed out the ride.. amazing difference.

I've had my car 2 years and put a whopping 3,800 miles on it lol

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 11-03-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:29 PM
kynan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of rims with new goodyear runflats sitting in my garage. Running a set of rims off craigslist now with toyo proxes non runflats. 3 years no issues and the ride is superior with non run flats. My wife runs a bmw 128i vert. She had runflats and a blow out 20 miles on the highway away from home. The tire barely made it home, smoking, wobbling, sidewall spent and I babied it all the way there. I put Michelin pilot sports non runflats on it and it's a totally different and better car. Doesn't bounce all over the damn road. Runflats suck. If you are afraid of a flat, maybe you shouldn't be driving a vet.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:37 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by kynan
I have a set of rims with new goodyear runflats sitting in my garage. Running a set of rims off craigslist now with toyo proxes non runflats. 3 years no issues and the ride is superior with non run flats. My wife runs a bmw 128i vert. She had runflats and a blow out 20 miles on the highway away from home. The tire barely made it home, smoking, wobbling, sidewall spent and I babied it all the way there. I put Michelin pilot sports non runflats on it and it's a totally different and better car. Doesn't bounce all over the damn road. Runflats suck. If you are afraid of a flat, maybe you shouldn't be driving a vet.
Corvettes come with runflats.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:50 PM
BLK08C6
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run flats are great. I had one flat with my Goodyear tires and was able to drive to a tire shop for a proper plug patch. I bought a new set of Michelin run flats and they ride great and are not noisy. Run flats only for me, I'm not putting that green crap in my tires.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Not insulted at all . I don't have a problem with people knowing my age. I'm closer to 60 than 50 .
Attachment 48333511

Just don't ask my weight.
Okay, my work is done here.

Windy, you want to take over?

Get notified of new replies

To how many people use run flat

Old 11-03-2015, 10:58 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Gosh, do I have to post this picture every time a RF vs non RF thread comes up?

This blowout would probably have shredded the tire, and created a dangerous situation on a non RF tire.

HOWEVER, it did not. No indication other than the giant bang and the TPMS saying it was flat, no handling issues on the blowout.

This tire was able to be driven w/o an intact bead for 30 miles. Probably could have been driven many more miles, if necessary.

I'm tired. tomorrow I will tell you about another sidewall blowout on a rainy sunday morning.
Man that is crazy. I had a run in with a 4X4 with my run flat tire - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-of-wood.html
Old 11-03-2015, 11:01 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonygxp
original F1's.. i do not drive my vette enough to justify putting up with that CRAP ride and noise to go RF again. i couldn't be happier with the Contis i put on.. so quiet, handle great and even smoothed out the ride.. amazing difference.

I've had my car 2 years and put a whopping 3,800 miles on it lol
Old 11-04-2015, 09:52 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Okay, my work is done here.

Windy, you want to take over?
Yes I will....Its nice to have someone if the forum with a sense of humor....

Quick Reply: how many people use run flat