C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I Remove X-pipe w/ Cats Installed On Emissions Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:59 PM
CHUXDRM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can I Remove X-pipe w/ Cats Installed On Emissions Recall

I posted this in C6 Tech, didn't get many responses, though I'd try here for more opinions or more consensus.

Just had the emissions recall performed on my C6, where they replace the catalytic converters, replace the x-pipe with one that has (2) little cats on the front end, and retune engine.

My C6 is an '08, when I installed NPP mufflers, all I could find was '09 or newer NPP cans, so I had to also replace my '08 x-pipe with the newer style.

Now to do the recall, the dealer is required to put it to original, so I had to take them my original '08 x-pipe (which they have to evidently turn back to GM, or scrap), and my original cans, which they installed on the new x-pipe.

Now I'm way too quiet again! If I want reinstall my later style x-pipe and NPP mufflers, can I remove the new x-pipe with the cats on it without effecting engine retune or throwing up a service code?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:49 PM
fevest
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure why you took it in if you didn't want it changed.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:14 PM
CHUXDRM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted the records to show that the recall was performed on the car, and to get the recall done, the dealer had to put it back to original. Fortunately, I had kept the original parts. In fact I had to turn the original x-pipe over to the dealer, evidently so he could prove to GM he did the recall. Then he had to install the original mufflers back on, because they're what fits the new x-pipe with the cats on it, because it's for an '08. And he gave me back the NPP mufflers and newer style ('09 and up) x-pipe.

Now I'm wondering if I can put them back on the car, which would mean removing the new x-pipe with cats that was installed for the recall.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:48 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Like I said in the other thread. Do it. The cats on the xpipe aren't monitored in any way.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SEVINN
Like I said in the other thread. Do it. The cats on the xpipe aren't monitored in any way.
Agreed all 2012 and 2013 Corvettes came standard with the crappy X pipe with two unmonitored cats on them. I promptly took it off and installed a billy boat X pipe....

Last edited by Cor430vette; 10-29-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I Remove X-pipe w/ Cats Installed On Emissions Recall

Quick Reply: Can I Remove X-pipe w/ Cats Installed On Emissions Recall