C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little advice please guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 11:39 PM
smiley88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little advice please guys

Just changed brakes all around my 09 ...now all of a sudden my little traction control light is on, the dash is reading from service active handling system and a couple other things that I didn't have time to write down real quick while driving but I cannot push my little traction control button on and off..battery is reading almost 14 volts but I'll have tested tomorrow. .any ideas ? Doesn't seem like brakes are hanging up...
Old 10-11-2015, 11:51 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Did you check all the anti lock brake connectors at the wheel hubs?
It could also be caused by bad wheel speed sensor.
Check out the thread below. There was also an issue with the C6 with telescopic steering wheel stretching the wires, and causing the alarm light for traction/active handling. The dealer added a wire clip to prevent this from happening.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-system.html

Good luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 10-11-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:24 AM
smiley88
Advanced

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Did you check all the anti lock brake connectors at the wheel hubs?
It could also be caused by bad wheel speed sensor.
Check out the thread below. There was also an issue with the C6 with telescopic steering wheel stretching the wires, and causing the alarm light for traction/active handling. The dealer added a wire clip to prevent this from happening.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-system.html

Good luck
I have no codes appearing so it makes it hard what to search for. It's just after my brake and rotor install this started happening. Don't think the telescoping steering wheel would all of a sudden cause the problem during the brake change. I did just replace conectors on battery and i double check those to make sure they are snug....all connectors on wheels assembled were plugged back in good ..this is super frustrating on such an expensive machine all these threads with all these problems people have..
Old 10-12-2015, 07:32 AM
11Black-GS
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I second the fact that its probably a wheel speed sensor. My dash board was lit up like a Christmas tree on my BMW when a speed sensor went. I had 3 of them replaced during the life of the car.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:37 AM
smiley88
Advanced

Default test the sensor

How do I test each sensor just pull one at a time and try it or do all at same time...
Old 10-12-2015, 07:48 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by smiley88
I have no codes appearing so it makes it hard what to search for. ...
If you have a service active handling message on the DIC you WILL have codes set. You have to have a code reader to read them. They do not just appear somewhere. The codes on these machines are pretty good at locating faults to specific components. If you don't have a code reader many auto parts stores will read them for free.

BTW, the reason you see "all these threads with all these problems" is because there are a HUGE number of people here and they seldom post "I didn't have any issues today." People only post when they have a problem. The C6 is the most reliable car I have owned in the past 45 years.

Last edited by FortMorganAl; 10-12-2015 at 07:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Scott67 (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 07:51 AM
smiley88
Advanced

Default message

I did plug a scanner into it and it didn't show any codes on the scanner however I have the message coming on my DIC in the scanner isn't showing any codes
Old 10-12-2015, 08:10 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Then you have 2 problems. The second is with the scanner you used. I would expect to see one or more "C" codes for an issue with active handling. Trying to diagnose these cars without a code is like trying to diagnose a computer software issue without a monitor.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:13 AM
smiley88
Advanced

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Then you have 2 problems. The second is with the scanner you used. I would expect to see one or more "C" codes for an issue with active handling. Trying to diagnose these cars without a code is like trying to diagnose a computer software issue without a monitor.
Ok thank you for your time sir.i did use a expensive big scanner but I'll try another scanner and check...frustrating man especially after just changing brakes...
Old 10-12-2015, 10:32 AM
smiley88
Advanced

Default test sensor

If i pull the sensors how can I test them to see wich ones are good or bad ?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:38 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had been having an issue with the ABS/TCS lights coming on and then the three messages in the DIC. Last one being Service Active Handling.

Because of this I had an off-road excursion. The first thing I did when I put the car up on the rack was to remove each plug and add a dialectic grease to each wheel speed sensor connection.

I have not had the DIC lights come on since then.

Others have mentioned having other issues along with the ABS/TCS that might have been the wiring on the steering column. This was probably the steering wheel position sensor that was causing the abs/tcs to activate and dash lights to come on.

Also, I bought an Actron PC9690 that I could not get to read codes at first. Then After some reading I could get it to read, but not clear the codes. In the end all is well and the codes have been cleared.

Maybe there is something you have missed in your code reader instructions?

Does it read both OBDII & CAN? Some readers don't do CAN. (Controller Area Network)

A friend did the work I speak of above.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:46 AM
smiley88
Advanced

Default refresh

started my car this morning after problems last night still service traction system, service anti lock brakes, service active handling system still coming on DIC..with ABS and little traction control lights on my dash still lit up
Old 10-12-2015, 12:28 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

started my car this morning after problems last night still service traction system, service anti lock brakes, service active handling system still coming on DIC..with ABS and little traction control lights on my dash still lit up
With all those ABS-Traction lights, it might be a good idea to bring to a reputable garage to have the speed sensors checked. They put a Multimeter on the lead of the speed sensor while they turn the hub to make sure it's getting a correct Ohm reading (approx. 1.5 K ohms).
If those are all OK, then they may check the steering wheel position sensor. If that's OK, then the brake system ABS controller Block may be the culprit.
Any garage mechanic can check all those things with his meters and scan tools. He can see if there is a trouble code stored in the ABS controller memory.

Good luck
It just seems strange that you have these issues after a brake job. I'm sure the brakes were bled correctly, so that shouldn't be the problem?

Report back when you get the issues resolved so the next owner can have a good idea of what might be causing similar problems.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:22 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Since this happened right after your brake job, it is likely to be related to it. I would first just visually inspect and then unplug and spray contact cleaner into each sensor plug that was on a wheel that you worked on. While it could be just a coincidence, it's more likely that you bumped, pulled or generally disturbed something to do with a wheel sensor or its' wiring.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:57 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

If i pull the sensors how can I test them to see wich ones are good or bad ?
The wheel sensors are AC voltage pulse generators. The normal values are 850-1350 ohms static resistance and AC pulses greater than 100mV when the wheel is turning.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:08 PM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

In reading all the above posts, I believe we need some codes to continue. It would be easy to visit your local auto parts store and let them try a different reader.

Get notified of new replies

To Little advice please guys

Quick Reply: Little advice please guys