C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eagle Eye Rapid Flash

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 09:30 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Eagle Eye Rapid Flash

Have a set of Eagle Eye LED tail lights in my '13 Grand Sport for a couple of years and love them.

Was loading on the trailer heading to the track tomorrow and it had a rapid flash on the left turn signal. We checked all lights and signals and everything is working. Anyone seen this before?
Old 10-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Yep. One of your resistor values has changed due to corrosion, loose connection or a combination thereof. Redo the wiring connections and the problem should be resolved.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:54 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Cool, I'll try that tomorrow. Thank you.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:58 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Even if you spot corrosion, that might not solve the problem but it usually does. I've done wiring where I was certain the connections were solid but turned out the splices, even though shrink-tubed, were not reliable. If it worked before but not now, my first guess is connections. Nowadays, I use T-taps successfully. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the very same thing.
Ended up having to replace the load resister of one of the left rear tail lights.
Since doing that, all is well and back to normal.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:14 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

If you have the sequential harness, remove it. I had nothing but problems with them. After my 2nd set started causing issues. I just removed them and the LED tail lights worked fine.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:25 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Slider-01
I had the very same thing.
Ended up having to replace the load resister of one of the left rear tail lights.
Since doing that, all is well and back to normal.
How did you determine it was the load resister? Where did you get the replacement?

Would you recommend dielectric grease on the plugs?
Old 10-09-2015, 11:06 AM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by petsur
How did you determine it was the load resister? Where did you get the replacement?

Old 10-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It was a bit of a process. I took one of the load resistors from one of the right side lights and swapped it with the left side one at a time until I figured which of the left side it was.

I bought the load resistor from JW Motoring.
I know he was running short on them so don't know if he still has any or not m
Yes, I used dielectric Grease and did all the connections.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:20 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Did the connections with no luck. When I pulled the lenses, one of the resisters had become unstuck and was flopping around in there and I suspect that is my problem.

I also bought these lights from JW Motoring a couple years back so I emailed about buying a new resister but multiple emails to JW Motoring go unanswered.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:19 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Did the connections with no luck. When I pulled the lenses, one of the resisters had become unstuck and was flopping around in there and I suspect that is my problem.

I also bought these lights from JW Motoring a couple years back so I emailed about buying a new resister but multiple emails to JW Motoring go unanswered.
I think JWMotoring is out of business. You might have to try elsewhere or just Google 'wiring load resistor' and maybe you can find something that will work.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:18 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I alo had the same problem with this company, never response from them.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:23 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
I think JWMotoring is out of business. You might have to try elsewhere or just Google 'wiring load resistor' and maybe you can find something that will work.
Ok thanks for the reply. Funny but their website is still open and will take money??
Old 11-05-2015, 05:13 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Ok thanks for the reply. Funny but their website is still open and will take money??
Maybe he is still in business - but he is no longer a vendor here and hasn't been on the forum in several months.

I had lots of dealings with Jhonathan and never had a problem, but recently there have been a few forum members who had difficulty getting in touch with him and getting what they ordered.

I even sent him a PM and never heard back from him. I just assumed that he was out of business.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:11 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Turn Signal Load Resistors don't usually fail, however they do get very hot when the brakes are on for a long time.

I don't have first hand experience with the Eagle Eyes LED's, but the pics always show what looks like some kind of encased resistor pack.

You can get load resistors from V-LED's that come with finned aluminum heat sinks and mounting plates that leave an air-gap under the resistor.

Typically 50 watt resistors (6 ohm) are heavy duty enough to dissipate the heat. The OEM circuit with a lamp draws about 35 watts.

I mounted mine in pairs to a piece of sheet phenolic and mounted them on studs inside the rear bumper so I could easily get to them if I needed to.

This pic shows the air-gap provided by the mounting plate.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:57 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
Turn Signal Load Resistors don't usually fail, however they do get very hot when the brakes are on for a long time.

I don't have first hand experience with the Eagle Eyes LED's, but the pics always show what looks like some kind of encased resistor pack.

You can get load resistors from V-LED's that come with finned aluminum heat sinks and mounting plates that leave an air-gap under the resistor.

Typically 50 watt resistors (6 ohm) are heavy duty enough to dissipate the heat. The OEM circuit with a lamp draws about 35 watts.

I mounted mine in pairs to a piece of sheet phenolic and mounted them on studs inside the rear bumper so I could easily get to them if I needed to.

This pic shows the air-gap provided by the mounting plate.

Hey thanks for the tip! I see Corvette Mods sells resisters that look very similar.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:53 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Hey thanks for the tip! I see Corvette Mods sells resisters that look very similar.
JW Motoring never responded but Corvette Mods sells the resistors pictured in **** Jockey's post. I bought 4 of them. Just installed the one, FIXED !!

Thanks Corvette Mods !

Get notified of new replies

To Eagle Eye Rapid Flash

Quick Reply: Eagle Eye Rapid Flash