C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Recall #14717

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 12:39 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
With the new clutch master cylinder, it is black. so you cannot tell if your fluid is dirty or not.
When I did mine earlier this year, I kept my old clear reservoir and put it on the new assembly. Gave them back the old one with the black reservoir for the warranty return.

Did the same with a customer's car a couple of months ago when his actually failed during a test drive after other work.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Myers (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Great idea. Wish I had thought of that.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:34 PM
Bad00SS
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My dealer just told me they will fix this at no charge if i bring it in this week. I havent had any issues but maybe I should just do it. What kind of fluid are you guys using in the clutch system?

Last edited by Bad00SS; 11-08-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:10 PM
myfirstcorvette
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Use Dot 4

Originally Posted by Bad00SS
My dealer just told me they will fix this at no charge if i bring it in this week. I havent had any issues but maybe I should just do it. What kind of fluid are you guys using in the clutch system?
I'd get the new master cylinder and it will say DOT 4 on the cap..
Old 11-08-2016, 11:32 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad00SS
Any DOT 4 fluid. You can get the Prestone stuff at Wal-Mart. Just make sure its DOT 4. If you track your car, ATE Typ 200 would work great.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:37 PM
myfirstcorvette
Intermediate

Also the fluid absorbs moisture and isn't expensive so I recommend discarding and left overs.. Just my opinion..
Old 11-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,849 Likes on 1,805 Posts

Originally Posted by GA$$MAN
I had mine replaced a few weeks ago and the service manager asked if I've had issues with the clutch and I said yes even though I haven't. Replaced just like that.
I'm thinking I might need a new master cylinder over the winter....
Old 11-11-2016, 10:35 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1s gear grind

My pedal has never been stuck down, but my problem is when waiting at a light, I need to keep the clutch pedal in for about 5 seconds before the input shaft (?) stops and I can engage 1st gear without grinding. I can however just put it straight into 2nd and start off with a little clutch slip. Could this master cylinder issue be causing my problem?
Old 11-11-2016, 11:45 PM
myfirstcorvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thatonedude1
My pedal has never been stuck down, but my problem is when waiting at a light, I need to keep the clutch pedal in for about 5 seconds before the input shaft (?) stops and I can engage 1st gear without grinding. I can however just put it straight into 2nd and start off with a little clutch slip. Could this master cylinder issue be causing my problem?
sounds like you need to flush the system.. I use a syringe.. I'd bet that it's almost black from clutch dust..
Old 11-12-2016, 07:21 PM
yellowmnm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by myfirstcorvette
sounds like you need to flush the system.. I use a syringe.. I'd bet that it's almost black from clutch dust..
If you meet their time limits that the they said about 10 years or I think it was 120,000 miles.
By all means take it to your favorite Chevy dealer or one near by.
I think they will fix it for free!
What do you have to lose $ nothing, But what do you have to gain$$$ Just do it!!

Last edited by yellowmnm; 11-12-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:23 PM
yellowmnm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thatonedude1
If you meet their time limits that the they said about 10 years or I think it was 120,000 miles.
By all means take it to your favorite Chevy dealer or one near by.
I think they will fix it for free!
What do you have to lose $ nothing, But what do you have to gain$$$ Just do it!!
Old 02-02-2017, 06:57 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

So what is the part number on the latest best GM clutch master?
Old 02-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Macki1287
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneSch

afaik
Old 02-21-2017, 01:56 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneSch
Depends, there are 2 parts numbers associated with this program. What you need will be based on your VIN when the GM parts dept. goes to order it.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:27 PM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Well my pedal on my 2011 GS with about 14,000 miles stuck to the floor after shifting to 3rd gear. Luckly I was able to drive it to a friends garage but he doesn't work on Corvettes. Had it towed to the local Chevy dealer and will see what happens. He said that they were really busy an it might be a week before he could look at it. But after reading all the 20 pages of this, mine seems to fall under the #14717 recall. Will know soon enough.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:21 PM
yellowmnm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default recall

Originally Posted by Richard F
Well my pedal on my 2011 GS with about 14,000 miles stuck to the floor after shifting to 3rd gear. Luckly I was able to drive it to a friends garage but he doesn't work on Corvettes. Had it towed to the local Chevy dealer and will see what happens. He said that they were really busy an it might be a week before he could look at it. But after reading all the 20 pages of this, mine seems to fall under the #14717 recall. Will know soon enough.
Yes this is exactly what mine did and they fixed it at no cost.
And they will put the updated redesigned part in and you will no longer have any problems, works great!
Tim
The following users liked this post:
Richard F (03-12-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 10:36 PM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

The dealership called me back today and verified that it was the clutch master cylinder. They are going to order the part and should be able to put it in tomorrow if it shows up. They are going to cover most of the tow bill, but since I bypassed the closest Chevy Dealership, to get to them because they handle more Corvettes, they will only pay to the closest dealer....guess we will see tomorrow...

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Recall #14717

Old 03-17-2017, 05:10 PM
Proff
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chevrolet (D/FW) refused to do recall

09 Base 6MT 63,000 miles
Pedal would stick to the floor but I could pull it up with the edge of my shoe. Scheduled the service visit for the recall. Advisor says tech was able to duplicate. But on phone with GM, the advisor is told not to repair it under the recall until the pedal stays on the floor and the car is towed in. Thanks but no thanks, GM; I'm not waiting til I break down. I have a long daily commute, and I'm pace car for Track Night in Am. and SCCA road races. A terminal breakdown would not be cool for how I use the car. I'll foot the $275 bill at reputable D/FW-area Corvette repair shop. And good luck to everyone waiting for the car to need a tow.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:27 PM
yellowmnm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Clutch

Originally Posted by Proff
09 Base 6MT 63,000 miles
Pedal would stick to the floor but I could pull it up with the edge of my shoe. Scheduled the service visit for the recall. Advisor says tech was able to duplicate. But on phone with GM, the advisor is told not to repair it under the recall until the pedal stays on the floor and the car is towed in. Thanks but no thanks, GM; I'm not waiting til I break down. I have a long daily commute, and I'm pace car for Track Night in Am. and SCCA road races. A terminal breakdown would not be cool for how I use the car. I'll foot the $275 bill at reputable D/FW-area Corvette repair shop. And good luck to everyone waiting for the car to need a tow.
Thats bull ****! That is a complete failure. They all can come back up but you still have to lift it between every shift right? I'd go to different chevy dealership. But if you have it done somewhere, this may sound stupid make sure that you get the new designed part. Be my luck and they would have the old one in stock and give it to me. Just sayin lol
Cheers!
Old 03-17-2017, 06:36 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowmnm
Thats bull ****! That is a complete failure. They all can come back up but you still have to lift it between every shift right? I'd go to different chevy dealership. But if you have it done somewhere, this may sound stupid make sure that you get the new designed part. Be my luck and they would have the old one in stock and give it to me. Just sayin lol
Cheers!
I was told by the tech that did mine that it was from the ZR1 that they changed it to

Clif

Quick Reply: Clutch Recall #14717