C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your opinions would be helpful...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:33 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Bite me!
Took the words right out of my "mouth."
'
Old 09-26-2015, 05:28 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Pinstripes don't lend themselves to curvy cars very well. They'd probably look decent on the C6 rear, but not much elsewhere, since they want to accent sharper natural lines.

Here's something I played with a few weeks ago using red ducktape. One style on the left and another on the right. The wide version was way in your face and the narrow was kinda OK, but I'm now back to naked chrome.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:53 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by wayback
Slacker!!!!!!
If your gonna do it, go all in.

Geez, they really screwed up that Camaro!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I don't care for it. It doesn't flow with anything. Going the full length of car would help possibly or curving up and around halo to the other side and back to front.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

I feel you Hammy, your like me I think. I sit and ponder what can I do to improve my GS, that doesn't look like Leroy the shade tree guy did it on a Saturday afternoon after throwing down some brewskis.
Fact is your car looks clean as is, the changes you've done, buckets, black wheels are all it needs, makes the silver POP. I like it the way it is !!
NSF
Old 09-26-2015, 07:07 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

I need a wider angle on the car to make a good decision. From 3 angles, your pictures are too close and I need to see the car directly from the side ( the entire car), also the entire car from a front/side angle and rear/side angle. I will then show it to my wife who is an interior designer and has a great eye for things and how they mesh.blend. Like her, I also have interior design training (she is much better than I am..)_ but they teach you on how things work together/blend etc. My first impression is that it looks too busy, and unnecessary. Less, in most cases, is more...its a stripe that is not typically found on the Corvette and so since it is uncommon it will immediately be met with resistance due to its out of place look. So a pin stripe or stripe in general must be very subtle...black on silver however is not subtle. I typically hate all stripes of any kind....however the stripes on my Centennial Edition I liked due to how subtle the satin black was against the carbon flash metallic....

Plus honestly your car is the best looking silver car I have ever seen, so its hard to mess with perfection...

Last edited by Cor430vette; 09-26-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:13 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Pinstripes don't lend themselves to curvy cars very well. They'd probably look decent on the C6 rear, but not much elsewhere, since they want to accent sharper natural lines.

Here's something I played with a few weeks ago using red ducktape. One style on the left and another on the right. The wide version was way in your face and the narrow was kinda OK, but I'm now back to naked chrome.
Glad you came to your senses Tom.
Those red stripes really cheapen the wheels.
Like with my pin stripes, perhaps less is more.

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I don't care for it. It doesn't flow with anything. Going the full length of car would help possibly or curving up and around halo to the other side and back to front.
I tried that. In fact I tried pin stripe almost everywhere you can imagine on my car, and didn't like any of it.
It kept interfering with the natural flow of the lines of the car.
The only place it kinda looked ok, is what you see in the photos I posted.
As you can see nearly everyone doesn't like it there either.

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I feel you Hammy, your like me I think. I sit and ponder what can I do to improve my GS, that doesn't look like Leroy the shade tree guy did it on a Saturday afternoon after throwing down some brewskis.
Fact is your car looks clean as is, the changes you've done, buckets, black wheels are all it needs, makes the silver POP. I like it the way it is !!
NSF
Thanks Bob.

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
I need a wider angle on the car to make a good decision. From 3 angles, your pictures are too close and I need to see the car directly from the side ( the entire car), also the entire car from a front/side angle and rear/side angle. I will then show it to my wife who is an interior designer and has a great eye for things and how they mesh.blend. Like her, I also have interior design training (she is much better than I am..)_ but they teach you on how things work together/blend etc. My first impression is that it looks too busy, and unnecessary. Less, in most cases, is more...its a stripe that is not typically found on the Corvette and so since it is uncommon it will immediately be met with resistance due to its out of place look. So a pin stripe or stripe in general must be very subtle...black on silver however is not subtle. I typically hate all stripes of any kind....however the stripes on my Centennial Edition I liked due to how subtle the satin black was against the carbon flash metallic....

Plus honestly your car is the best looking silver car I have ever seen, so its hard to mess with perfection...
Thanks for the compliments Ed.
I have not yet removed the pin stripe,...still thinking about it.
So, if it's not raining again tomorrow morning, I'll take the 3 photos you asked for, and post them here.
You're correct, the close up photos make the pin stripes look more intrusive, (busy) than they really are.
Check back here tomorrow morning.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:08 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

It would look much better if they were black.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:37 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister

Thanks for the compliments Ed.
I have not yet removed the pin stripe,...still thinking about it.
So, if it's not raining again tomorrow morning, I'll take the 3 photos you asked for, and post them here.
You're correct, the close up photos make the pin stripes look more intrusive, (busy) than they really are.
Check back here tomorrow morning.

Had my car not pass inspection due to a crappy parking brake. Thought it was an easy fix/adjustment. Ended up changing out two rear cables, and both the side parking brake actuators, and both the parking brakes....compared to that, I bet installing the pin stripes was fun!
Old 09-26-2015, 11:42 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll chime in with a polite "no".
Old 09-27-2015, 11:34 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cor430vette

Ok Ed, I've supplied the three photos, showing only the car, at the 3 angles you requested.

I found it very difficult to clearly photograph the pin stripes.
I must have taken about 30 photos, but they are all plagued by shadows, or reflected sunlight.

One thing is certain.
You were absolutely right when you said that you couldn't judge from the close up photos I took before.
Once outside, when I stepped away just 10' to 15', as one would when walking by, the pin stripes became very subtle, actually hardly noticeable.

As you can see, they just provide a subtle accent to the upper speed line on the door.
I was about to remove them, but now I don't know.
I think I'll leave them on for a week or two, before I make a final decision.

Thanks for your input. In fact, thanks to every one.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:53 AM
wayback
Team Owner

The camera's lens is a harsher critic than our eyes.
A photo will show every slight imperfection in the pin stripes. But our eyes and brain will gloss over the imperfections (most of us anyway).

When I had the black stripes on my car it was very difficult to take a picture that looked great....there was always something wrong with the stripes. In person the stripes looked so much better. Never had a single person who saw it say it looked off. But in my mind I knew it was off as the camera had showed it to me.

Funny how our brains "fill in the gaps" so to speak.

So after all that what I am saying is I bet the stripes look much better in person than in a photo.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wayback
...So after all that what I am saying is I bet the stripes look much better in person than in a photo.
Yes, clearly they do.

In fact once outside walking around the car, I gained a completely different perspective, and decided to leave them on a while.

Here's proof of your point Roger.

Often I'll be walking by some weeds, or fauna of some type, and see a small insect, or something that I cannot clearly define.

I'll snap a photo, and then look at the same thing on a 32" HD monitor at home, and WOW, the camera sees a whole world that I cannot even imagine.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:25 PM
C3-PO
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably no. I saw the beginning pic and had a hunch you had blacked out headlamps. IMHO the thin stripes and thick hashes clash, terribly. I'm not a fan of black cars. but the there is already enough "black" on your car to make it look like a "black car with silver" (Z38R4 should be your plate, unless you are a Raider's fan). ditch the red between the hashes as well, the motif starts to make it look like a checker board. trying for that 70's pinstripe look isn't for the C6. you might as well try for the "log-log paper at an angle" wrap scheme (similar to the old BMW Can-AM car) or the NASCAR look with all the sponsorship stickers (much easier) Valvoline, Goodyear, STP, Monroe Shocks, Tide, Go-Daddy.Com, Monster Energy, General Mills, etc.. Sexy. then pink highlights or any memorial/disease/illness ribbons would not be out of the question. American symbolism would be so passé. think about it.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:25 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,363 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Great shots, Ham. You have a knack.
The following users liked this post:
Hameister (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 12:31 PM
patriotpa
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Nicely done.

It's YOUR car. If you like it, keep it. Don't get concerned with what others think, esp. those who can't tell a Corvette from a Camaro.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:35 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C3-PO
probably no. I saw the beginning pic and had a hunch you had blacked out headlamps. IMHO the thin stripes and thick hashes clash, terribly. I'm not a fan of black cars. but the there is already enough "black" on your car to make it look like a "black car with silver" (Z38R4 should be your plate, unless you are a Raider's fan). ditch the red between the hashes as well, the motif starts to make it look like a checker board. trying for that 70's pinstripe look isn't for the C6. you might as well try for the "log-log paper at an angle" wrap scheme (similar to the old BMW Can-AM car) or the NASCAR look with all the sponsorship stickers (much easier) Valvoline, Goodyear, STP, Monroe Shocks, Tide, Go-Daddy.Com, Monster Energy, General Mills, etc.. Sexy. then pink highlights or any memorial/disease/illness ribbons would not be out of the question. American symbolism would be so passé. think about it.
Wut?

Get notified of new replies

To Your opinions would be helpful...

Old 09-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C3-PO
I have no idea what you said, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by patriotpa
Nicely done.

It's YOUR car. If you like it, keep it. Don't get concerned with what others think, esp. those who can't tell a Corvette from a Camaro.
Absolutely, ....the opinion of others, whether positive, negative, constructive, or just plain stupid, is always either useful, or interesting.
In the final analysis, as you said, I'll make my own decision.
Thanks!
Old 09-27-2015, 12:48 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Hameister
I have no idea what you said, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
The black wheels on a silver car really makes the color pop in my opinion. Yes Hammy, I know we're not talking wheels here, but after looking at your car I just had to add my .02 cents on it.

Last edited by billyboy47; 09-27-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Your opinions would be helpful...