C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15 mustang owner thinking of C6

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
Actually I bought the Yamaha Royal Star back in 97. What a piece of $hit! Getting up to 75 mph it would vibrate a little. Then I bought THE real man's bike, the Road King.
It's like there are Corvettes, and then all the "other" cars.

And there are Harleys, and then all the "other" bikes.

A long time ago HD ran a full-page ad in the various Harley periodicals showing a junk heap of motorcycles all piled on top of each other. You could see a "Yamaha" gas tank, a "Honda" seat, etc.

The caption said:

"Can you find a Harley in here?

"Of course you can't."

Haha! Point made.

HD, DOB: 1903, still running strong and still in a class by itself

Corvette DOB: 1953, still running strong and still in a class by itself
Old 09-25-2015, 05:53 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That was my trade off. A corvette instead of a Harley. I figured buying a brand new vette back in 013 was by far better than any motorcycle.
I traded for a new 05, then a 06 vert and my current 07 coupe.
My son now has a bike.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:58 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you will love the C-6, and as others suggested look at the 2008 or later. Just my suggestions without a lot of reasons.

As others said, drive one and see if it is really the kind of car you want. If you find that you prefer the features of the GT, stick with it. They are impressive cars. When I see a GT, I have no inclination to take it on. I don't street race, but even if I did, I wouldn't mess with a specific car that I know little about.

I bought my 2009 C6 new in the spring of 2010. It was a left over. I love it. I cannot imagine driving anything on the streets that would give me more pleasure. To the extent that I push it, the handling is great, the acceleration is enough to do anything I care to do, and the braking is better than anything else I've driven.

The interior sucks, and the 2009 is supposed to be better than some of the earlier ones. Watch out for bad door hinges on the early C6s. The seats are OK in my 2009, but almost everything else leaves me wondering why GM didn't spend another $250 and charge us another $500 to put in a better interior. A stereo would be nice with a continuous volume control instead of a stepped function volume. The volume is always too low or too high. Can't set it between the steps.

The material of the dashboard and door panels scuff with every touch of anything. It can be rubbed out to some extent with a microfiber towel, but it still looks terrible after a minor brush with a fingernail. That same material gets a chalky substance that comes out of the material itself. Again, that can be wiped off, but what a pathetic thing to put in a car that cost $45,000 or more when new. The carpet, well that is cheap too. The carpet in the back may be fully installed, or it may need a little extra work at home.

The interior quality did not stop me from buying the car for all the reasons I wanted a Corvette. I guess if it really bothered me, I could spend a few thousand and get some custom work done on the door panels, carpet and the stereo.

If I was going to make the move from a GT to a Corvette, I might wait until Spring to do that. Use the GT through the winter and enjoy a nice car instead of some beater that may require work through the winter. That way, the bike can be kept a while and perhaps sometime next summer it can be traded for a daily driver for the following winter. The bike may bring more next spring than it will now, unless you have someone already lined up to buy it.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:03 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

That was my trade off. A corvette instead of a Harley. I figured buying a brand new vette back in 013 was by far better than any motorcycle.

If I had to choose, I would opt for the Vette but the wife prefers the Harley so we settled and bought both.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:17 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister
Yes, you are a wimp.

hi David !
Old 09-25-2015, 06:24 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by thegame

hi David !
Hey Chris, howya been? Long time no see.
Hope everything is well with you, and yours.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:25 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hameister
Hey Chris, howya been? Long time no see.
Hope everything is well with you, and yours.
Yea buddy can't complain! Daughter is 1 now and running all over the house lol Hope you guys have been good as well
Old 09-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by thegame
Yea buddy can't complain! Daughter is 1 now and running all over the house lol Hope you guys have been good as well
Yes we're well, thanks for asking. She's a year old already, wow, time flies!

Stop off at the "Hammy's Grand Sport Bar & Grill" thread that was started by TorchSport.

Who ever is around will buy you a drink! Nice place to hang out.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:31 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Bruze

A long time ago HD ran a full-page ad in the various Harley periodicals showing a junk heap of motorcycles all piled on top of each other. You could see a "Yamaha" gas tank, a "Honda" seat, etc.

The caption said:

"Of course you can't."

Haha! Point made.

Amen to that brother.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:33 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,694 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Yea, how about those 1970s AMF Harleys? They were great, weren't they? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
Yea, how about those 1970s AMF Harleys? They were great, weren't they? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Yes, there was a lot of hype about quality or whatever, as I recall.

FWIW: I had a '79 Sportster, and it was fine.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:56 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

That's a whole nother story.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:43 PM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 131 Posts

Since the age of 16 I have had 1 72 Challenger, 1 78 Firebird, 2 79 Trans Am's 1 78 Trans Am, 1 80 Z28, 1 89 Mustang GT, 1 95 Cobra Mustang, 1 94 Corvette, and yes now FINALLY I have 1 08 C6 Corvette Z51....

All of them were great cars at the time I had them, for the time I had them!! I just kept working my way up...if those cars had never been built I would not have had the fun that I have had over the years. I like all sports cars, if you would not have had the competition, the Corvette would not be what it is today..Drive Them, they are a blast!!!
The following users liked this post:
Tropicana (09-25-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 05:27 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Same can be said about the 75 to 87 Corvettes.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:43 AM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by moto111
So I have had 4 mustangs now. I currently have a 15 gt. While I love the car every time I see a C6 I lust over it the Jetstream blue is an amazing color and looks awesome. My hesitation is that the C6 interior is kind of crappy compared to my 15. I was thinking of a 08 and newer I live in Chicago but would trade my bike in as well to buy some sort of beater for winter. Thoughts? My friend said but a twin turbo on the stang and call it a day lol
Check out ThatDudeInBlue's C6 review. He own's a Stang so it provides a good perspective.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:20 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by airforcex
Check out ThatDudeInBlue's C6 review. He own's a Stang so it provides a good perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_SrFaXQe1s
I like this kid, he's cool
Old 09-26-2015, 09:07 AM
moto111
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still here lol

If I got a vette would be a 08 probably I don't know if I would be happy with a ls2 as I know the engine is weak compared to the ls3 as far as boost am I right?

Vette to me wins hands down appearence wise il give it that and that's why I love it .

Mustang is just a more complete package as far as total picture . Is that saying it's better then a vette no they are different cars . But with the irs, interior and tech its come along way and from my understanding the c7 stepped up the tech game and interior.

Mustang will be kept for winter and it look in spring. Here's my issue for 6k i can push 700 to tires and do some suspension then I have a 9-10 second car I can drive in winter .

But that jet stream blue omg lol **** it il paint my gt jk

Get notified of new replies

To 15 mustang owner thinking of C6

Old 09-26-2015, 10:19 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

The caption said:

"Of course you can't."

Haha! Point made.

SPOT on BRUZE !!!!
Old 09-26-2015, 10:26 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by moto111
I'm still here lol

If I got a vette would be a 08 probably I don't know if I would be happy with a ls2 as I know the engine is weak compared to the ls3 as far as boost am I right?

Vette to me wins hands down appearence wise il give it that and that's why I love it .

Mustang is just a more complete package as far as total picture . Is that saying it's better then a vette no they are different cars . But with the irs, interior and tech its come along way and from my understanding the c7 stepped up the tech game and interior.

Mustang will be kept for winter and it look in spring. Here's my issue for 6k i can push 700 to tires and do some suspension then I have a 9-10 second car I can drive in winter .

But that jet stream blue omg lol **** it il paint my gt jk
They are different cars, but theres nothing wrong with saying the mustang is a better car if that's how you feel and it suits your needs/wants better.

Like someone pointed out, many are bias here but that's to be expected being your location.

Mustangs are a dime a dozen and so are vettes if you want to be real. I agree with your friend for your wants, TT your mustang or get it blown and call it a day. And for those that think the vette is the most attention getting Merican sports car, drive a viper for a day or two and Im sure your tone will change real fast.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:28 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Sorry friend, the vette no doubt still running strong, but far from being in a class by itself.

Quick Reply: 15 mustang owner thinking of C6