C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I doing my car a disservice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:17 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

my C6 is my DD as well. So, it does spend a lot of it's time cruising along at or just above (usually at 5-6 above) the speed limit. There are times though, that it gets to have a little fun. Nothing wrong with a little high rpm entrance or exit ramp.. or dropping down from 6 to 4 to pass some idiot... ~sigh..

I really would not worry about what others say on how you use the car YOU own. Unless they pay for the maintenance or the car note, it's really none of their f'n business
Old 09-21-2015, 08:57 AM
leo lossett
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just drive it and enjoy it the way you want and no worries
Old 09-21-2015, 02:51 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

While most seem to agree that it doesn't hurt anything to drive the speed limit all the time....does anyone think there would be any benefits to taking her out and kissing that red-line from time to time ??
Old 09-21-2015, 04:19 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
While most seem to agree that it doesn't hurt anything to drive the speed limit all the time....does anyone think there would be any benefits to taking her out and kissing that red-line from time to time ??
None at all. Good grief, folks, these aren't 600 cc bike engines or model airplane engines. They're slow turning American pushrod V-8's which could power pickup trucks or even, with a bit of tuning, farm tractors quite successfully.

GM engineers know that 10% will be run hard but most of them will be bought by graybeards who will cruise around at 1.5k rpms most of the time. They know that if this behavior would result in drive train issues, they'd be canned so they won't.

We need to appreciate how great these engines are. They can do track days and also run every day at 8% power with neither duty causing them any distress.

You wanna appreciate how great these engines are? Well, get in your C6 and now take off from a traffic light. Shift normally from 1 to 4. No issue.

Now get in a similar year Porsche such as a 997. Do the same and see how wonderfully the car reacts. That's engineering and we own the good examples of it.

*#*&&*# it people - forget this nonsense. We win and the proof of it are 100k mile Vettes which never have seen the red line or even half of it.
The following users liked this post:
mhatton222 (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 05:29 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
None at all. Good grief, folks, these aren't 600 cc bike engines or model airplane engines. They're slow turning American pushrod V-8's which could power pickup trucks or even, with a bit of tuning, farm tractors quite successfully.

GM engineers know that 10% will be run hard but most of them will be bought by graybeards who will cruise around at 1.5k rpms most of the time. They know that if this behavior would result in drive train issues, they'd be canned so they won't.

We need to appreciate how great these engines are. They can do track days and also run every day at 8% power with neither duty causing them any distress.

You wanna appreciate how great these engines are? Well, get in your C6 and now take off from a traffic light. Shift normally from 1 to 4. No issue.

Now get in a similar year Porsche such as a 997. Do the same and see how wonderfully the car reacts. That's engineering and we own the good examples of it.

*#*&&*# it people - forget this nonsense. We win and the proof of it are 100k mile Vettes which never have seen the red line or even half of it.
Agreed....but you kinda got off track with my question. I was just wanted to throw that out there to see if there may be any benefits....like when you are behind someone that has to downshift and really romp on the throttle and all you see is a big cloud of soot or whatever you want to call it come out of the pipes. Seems to me like cleaning out all that crap may be good for ol bessie huh ??
Old 09-21-2015, 05:36 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Agreed....but you kinda got off track with my question. I was just wanted to throw that out there to see if there may be any benefits....like when you are behind someone that has to downshift and really romp on the throttle and all you see is a big cloud of soot or whatever you want to call it come out of the pipes. Seems to me like cleaning out all that crap may be good for ol bessie huh ??
Not sure. My guess is that it achieves a stasis. A certain amount of soot is in the exhaust based on driving habits. If you never exceed 2k rpm you have x soot. From x, driving in that manner never adds or removes any soot.

Stomp it to redline once and you blow out the soot due to higher exhaust speed. Then when you return to your 2k driving the soot builds up to x again and stays there until you drive at 1k where it builds or 3k where it reduces.

No static amount of the stuff is harmful, tho.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:32 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,651 Likes on 2,359 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Not sure. My guess is that it achieves a stasis. A certain amount of soot is in the exhaust based on driving habits. If you never exceed 2k rpm you have x soot. From x, driving in that manner never adds or removes any soot. So...the engines have soot limiters?
Stomp it to redline once and you blow out the soot due to higher exhaust speed. Then when you return to your 2k driving the soot builds up to x again and stays there until you drive at 1k where it builds or 3k where it reduces.
No static amount of the stuff is harmful, tho. Hmmm...
Interesting observation.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:05 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

OP, no worries. A friend of mine bought 2 brand new Z06 's in 2010. Both cars have less than 500 miles on them!!
Old 09-21-2015, 07:23 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
OP, no worries. A friend of mine bought 2 brand new Z06 's in 2010. Both cars have less than 500 miles on them!!
One for him, and one for his wife?

Both for him, using one as a spare?

Needed to launder $180,000?

Just plain crazy?
Old 09-21-2015, 07:29 PM
usdmpwr07
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you run it to the redline, your breaking speed limits easy. I can barely floor it for more than a second or two without breaking the speed limit.

It is fun running it hard, but I find myself rarely needing all power unless I hit it on the freeway. Try going out there if you do need to.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:31 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Hameister
Just plain crazy?

Old 09-21-2015, 07:41 PM
65 Drivr
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Drive it any way you like.

To the OP,
I am like your friends in that I like to twist my motor up usually at least once during a drive.
Like you, I have friends who probably do not exceed 3K RPM's in their Corvettes.
I would not tell any of my friends how they should drive their Corvette. It's not my business.
It's your car. If you enjoy taking it nice and easy in cruiser mode more power to you.
Look at it this way, the faster you turn the engine, the more stress that is put on it (and the rest of the drive train) so how can it be more damaging to run it at lower RPM's?
Ask your "friends" that...
Old 09-21-2015, 08:29 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister

Just plain crazy?
He thinks they will increase in value and leave them to his grandchildren. He should have just bought $150,000 in gold!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:32 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Love you Grandpa!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:41 PM
scotzz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=usdmpwr07;1590541797]If you run it to the redline, your breaking speed limits easy. I can barely floor it for more than a second or two without breaking the speed limit.

Very true with the automatic. Speaking of which I have an '05 with the A4. Is it OK to shift down to first and manually shift up in order to give the engine a little workout?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:02 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I'm doing myself a disservice by not driving it enough...
Old 09-22-2015, 10:38 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Not sure. My guess is that it achieves a stasis. A certain amount of soot is in the exhaust based on driving habits. If you never exceed 2k rpm you have x soot. From x, driving in that manner never adds or removes any soot.

No static amount of the stuff is harmful, tho.
All points well taken. But logic dictates that your gonna blow out a lot more "X"...(Soot..LOL)...if you rev her up to 6,500 on the tach and not just 3,000. I only bring this up because i've had many cars in the past that when I would take them out for a good "Blow-out"...esp a good long highway run that they seemed to run smoother and a little better all round after the "X" had been blown out....LOL. Now I know things have changed....better flowing engines....cleaner fuels...etc...etc. But just something to think about.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I doing my car a disservice?

Old 09-22-2015, 10:57 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
He thinks they will increase in value and leave them to his grandchildren. He should have just bought $150,000 in gold!
Nah, the vette's have been a better investment...so far.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:00 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

All points well taken. But logic dictates that your gonna blow out a lot more "X"...(Soot..LOL)...if you rev her up to 6,500 on the tach and not just 3,000. I only bring this up because i've had many cars in the past that when I would take them out for a good "Blow-out"...esp a good long highway run that they seemed to run smoother and a little better all round after the "X" had been blown out....LOL. Now I know things have changed....better flowing engines....cleaner fuels...etc...etc. But just something to think about.
Sure, if you go 3,500 you blow out some but full red line more. The question is if the soot stasis at the 2k rpm level is harmful. I doubt it is.

Engines are so enormously much better today than before as are the fuels. The wisdom of our ancestors may have been valid in C2 days but today is likely all superseded and obsolete.

Like over in bike-land where I mostly exist, there is still raging about proper break in procedures. Very likely, as with autos, there is none needed because the new assembly procedures are vastly superior to the crude methods used 20 or 30 or 40 years ago.

If mfgs still recommend this, it's to make the purchase seem more valuable than it would otherwise and in bikes, so the newbie doesn't kill himself right out of the box. After all, in bikes it's a common and inexpensive bike which can break 3.0 secs on 0-60 and almost all of them break 12 secs on the quarter with some breaking 10 seconds.

Performance like this in the hands of a new owner needs at least the 600 miles to get used to.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

There is a certain diagnostic benefit to an occasional full throttle blast. During my airline career, we usually used a reduced thrust (below max) setting for takeoff when conditions made it safe. But every now and then, we'd get an airplane with a maintenance note saying the next takeoff had to be full power, just to be sure it would run that way.

So about once every thousand miles, I find a clear road and do a full throttle 0-xxx blast, letting the A6 shift when it wants to check both engine and tranny.

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.

Quick Reply: Am I doing my car a disservice?