C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5785 mile road trip in our C6 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 12:19 PM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default 5785 mile road trip in our C6 convertible

We recently took a 5785 mile road trip in our 2010 Vette convertible. We went from St. Louis to Minneapolis to visit my wife’s brother, then up to Grand Forks ND to pick up Hwy 2 which goes across ND, Montana, Idaho, and Washington.
In western ND we ran through the shale oil fields around Williston, and were amazed at the number of oil wells in the area. Then through Montana, which like ND, is wheat country.

We planned on entering Glacier National Park on the east side and taking the “Going to the Sun Road across the park, but were stopped by a forest fire on the east side. So we drove around the park and entered on the west side and were able to drive about half way in, then had to turn around and back out. Great views.

We crossed the Cascade Range, to Seattle where we visited our daughter’s family. When we left we took the back roads down to Mt. Rainier National Park.

From there we went to Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument. This was via Forest road NF25, a super twisty, narrow, barely two lane road, with so many frost heaves, and dips that the front spoiler hit the ground about 100 times. The speed limit was 35 or 40 which is too fast for the road conditions.
Around Mt. St. Helens, all the trees are blown down for 10-20 miles around. The only trees still standing are those that have grown up since the eruption in 1980. When Mt. St. Helens blew, it filled the adjacent valley.

Next stop was Crater Lake NP in Oregon. It was very smoky due to forest fires, so the pictures were not very good, but it’s a beautiful place.

We finally got on I-5 in Medford OR, which we took down to Manteca CA, where we visited friends. Up until this point we were not on interstates, just two lane roads in general, and of course we had the top down except early in the morning when it was too cool for my wife.

When we left CA, we crossed the Sierra Nevada Range on 108, then headed north to catch Hwy 50 east of Tahoe. Hwy 50 is wonderful, long straight stretches then some twisties as you cross a small mountain range then repeat over and over.

We went to Bonneville Salt Flats, but didn’t drive on the salt because it was wet, and I was concerned I might get stuck in the vette. It was so smoky there we could hardly see the mountains just a couple miles away.

We headed across Utah and Colorado on Hwy 40 to Rocky Mountain National Park. Then from there a couple days back to St. Louis.

5785 miles, 222.9 gallons, for an average of 26 mpg. This was our 4th trip to Seattle and CA, each one by a different route out and back, all of them with the top down and most all of it on two lane roads, the best way to see America. See the USA in your Chevrolet.

The next morning after we got home, I took the car to the DIY car wash about 2 miles from my house to get the bulk of the road grime off. As I pulled up to the vacuum, the clutch peadal stuck to the floor. The master cylinder died. I am so glad it didn't happen a couple days prior, when we were at 12000 feet in Rocky Mountain NP.

I called AAA, had it towed to my dealer, and it was fixed for free under my extended warranty that I purchased from Ken Fichtner here on the Forum. All's well that ends well.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:40 PM
CHUXDRM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a great trip. Lots of varied scenery. Nice job with pictures and descriptions. Corvette road trips are so fun. Just a year ago, we took a trip west, out through Colorado, Utah, Nevada, into CA, down the Coast Hwy, came back through AZ, Colorado, then home, 5900 miles, smilin' miles!

Thanks again for the post.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Arctic6
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome trip! What a way to see the country ��
Old 09-05-2015, 01:15 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks for sharing your trip with us, specially the pictures were great to look at, and glad you had safe trip.
Sorry to hear of the break down, you got luck to breakdown at home.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:45 PM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
Thanks for sharing your trip with us, specially the pictures were great to look at, and glad you had safe trip.
Sorry to hear of the break down, you got luck to breakdown at home.
Yes I was lucky. The manual says to change the clutch fluid every two years, it had been more than two years since I did the ranger method. I'll do it more often in the future.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:39 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

My late wife and I did a 5,250 mile trip in 2009 in our convertible (see photo below). We went from the S.F. Bay Area to Las Vegas NV and then on to Birmingham AL by way of Holbrook AZ, Santa Rosa NM and Shreveport LA. We spent a week at the Mustang Club of America's 45th Anniversary celebration at Barber Motorsport Park in Birmingham AL and then headed home via St. Charles MO, Omaha NB, Denver CO and Wendover UT at the Salt Flats. This was in mid April and we were caught in two snow storms (one minor one outbound just west of Flagstaff AZ and one real deal snow storm between Battle Mountain NV and Reno NV coming home) and a rock and gravel storm east of Rawlins WY generated by down bursts that cost my paint job, windshield, stainless trim, etc. I wish I had beautiful photos of the trip like the ones you took, but I was too busy driving and battling the weather. Great memories though. Your wife is a real sport. Mine wouldn't tolerate the top down.
Name:  0621001139_0001.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  90.3 KB
BTW, some great photos of some of the major volcanic features of the Pacific Northwest. I went through Basic Training at Ft. Lewis WA and actually didn't see Rainier for the first two weeks I was there. The weather in that part of Washington was pretty bad that year and I remember walking out of the barracks one morning and there was this huge mountain that hadn't been there before. Majestic sight.

Last edited by RagTop69; 09-05-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Great trip with great pictures. We're leaving next week for another Route 66 journey. And like you and your better half, the top will be down unless it's to cool for my Wifey.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Very nice pics and trip. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:05 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Great pics! Thanks for posting them!
Old 09-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Nice trip, beautiful pictures. When I retired last July 31, I took off on a 6K plus road trip from Lake Worth, FL to California to visit a bunch of car events including Monterey Speed Week culminating with the Pebble Beach Concurs ten on to San Fran then Seattle to visit the Boeing Plant. Then the drive back through Denver and Dallas Fort Worth. The first time I put all those locations into one trip. Visited every car and airplane museum I could find.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:23 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Great Pics
It sounds and looks like you had a wonderful trip in one of the best cruising road trip cars around.

We have had a few trips of that length, and they were thoroughly enjoyed.

We only took a few short trips this summer. Golf has been the focus thus far.
We are planning an autumn voyage before we lay up the car for the winter hibernation.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:39 PM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
Nice trip, beautiful pictures. When I retired last July 31, I took off on a 6K plus road trip from Lake Worth, FL to California to visit a bunch of car events including Monterey Speed Week culminating with the Pebble Beach Concurs ten on to San Fran then Seattle to visit the Boeing Plant. Then the drive back through Denver and Dallas Fort Worth. The first time I put all those locations into one trip. Visited every car and airplane museum I could find.
Great trip. I did the Monterey , Vintage races and the Concours D'elegance a few years ago, as well as the car museums in Las Vegas and LA.. a Bucket List item crossed off.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:35 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Fantastic trip and pictures !! You are a lucky man that your wife would travel the distance with you in the Vette, mine would never even consider the ride. Last time I was in that area was almost 50 years ago driving something vastly different - a 1956 Chevy Panel truck camper. NO cell phone camera for pics though.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:10 PM
RedVette NH
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5785 mile road trip in our C6 convertible

Great trip and pics. I bought my victory red 05 vert at the end of May with the express purpose of using it as my touring car. I wondered if I might be nuts, but my first trip from NH to AS and MO in June was great even though it was a bit rushed due to commitments back home.

My next trip is coming up soon with a drive down the coast to catch the NASCAR races at Talledega and Martinsville with a mandatory visit to the National Corvetter Museum and a VIP tour of the factory squeezed in the middle of the races as well as a visit to Nashville and a stop at the Ryman Audditorium for a show of the classic stars from the Grand Ol' Oprey.

I'm also dropping in on friends and family in VA, SC and GA and finish off the trip with a week at Disney World with my Daughter and her husband my two grandsons.

I haven't figured out the total mileage yet but figure it could come close to 4K+ spread over about a month of travelling. I can't wait to get on the road.

When I get done, the vert will be readied for a long a long winter's nap with probably less than 25K on the odometer; ready to start travelling next spring. : )
Old 09-06-2015, 01:39 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Nice pics! I just returned from a 2,200 mile round trip up and down the coast of NorCal, OR and WA in my vert. Top down all but two hours. Great ride! Took it on a multi state trip a couple years back too. Great touring car! Plan on making a trip to Bowling Green and then Cleveland for the R&R Hall of Fame induction ceremony and a museum visit next April. The return trip will be similar to yours, across 'the top' to Glacier NP. The GTTSR will be closed that early but the area is so nice I'm going anyway.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,503 Likes on 819 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Nice trip and beautiful pictures!!!

I would like to visit some of those places one day, I am overdue for a trip out West

I remember when Mt. St. Helen's erupted as a kid, lived on Vancouver Island and we had the fallout cover our driveway!

Old 09-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Wow! Great shots from a great vacation. Thank you for sharing.

Get notified of new replies

To 5785 mile road trip in our C6 convertible

Old 09-06-2015, 02:51 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Dinah Shore was right () and since you stayed off the Interstates, you got to see the best of it. I'm hoping for the US Rt 2 experience next year and your great pics are making me drool.

Yes I agree, about Rt 50 through NV. It looks like you were in almost the same exact spot, since this pic in 2010. So did you get a bit of a gallop going on?

Old 09-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,503 Likes on 819 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Is there any air surveillance there?

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
. So did you get a bit of a gallop going on?

Old 09-06-2015, 03:52 PM
_05C6_
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts

Those pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Quick Reply: 5785 mile road trip in our C6 convertible