C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 or Grand Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:19 PM
vettetown
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Z06 or Grand Sport?

I am looking to buy a an 06-08 Z06 or perhaps a newer 2010-2011 Grand Sport. My budget is right at $35k but can pay a little more for the right car so with that budget I know its hard to find right now so thats why I am at the years I am at. I am looking for something < 40k miles.

Now my question is I love the Z06 but read way too many stories about the issues in the 06-08 years. My thoughts are what happens if I get the Grand Sport where I could take the top off (coupe) and I would have all the styling of the Z06 wider fenders, brakes, mn6 dry sump...etc but would be lacking about 70hp.

Scared to get the earlier Z06 based upon my budget and have head issues (dont want to go over my budget and then have to spend a couple grand fixing heads as a precaution) and wondering if I could ease my concern and be able to take the top off with the Grand Sport.

Anyone have any suggestions who may have owned both? Thanks for any feedback.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

The heads issue is blown out of proportion. Do you want the top off? If yes, then GS. If no or you don't care, Z06 all the way.

Buy a Z with the heads done already?

Are GSs selling for $35k yet?

I had a 3LT Z51 car last time. I went Z06 this time. Loving it.

Last edited by Never-Enough; 08-26-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:31 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

I'd not be afraid of those years. You hang here when the subject of gas tank gaskets or harmonic balancers pops up and you'll be convinced we can't drive these things but only are able to pay dealer's thousands of dollars to keep fixing them.

I'm in the minority here thinking the base coupe looks too wide so I am not thrilled with the GS although I do think they look aggressively sharp from the side. They do have some meaningful performance improvements although they don't seem to make the car any faster. Maybe they do.

Me? I'd be Z all the way. I got a base coupe over the Z only due to limits on how much I wished to spend. Now that I have the LS3, I'm also unsure if I had the Z if I'd use it much - that is use the extra power over the base machine. It's not like I"m pedal to the metal around the old nabe and I'm wishing for more.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

Everybody's got an opinion on this one and it goes like this:

I've got a GS and love it! Those Z06's are ticking time bombs!
I've got a Z06 and it's awesome! Way better than a GS!

The number of Z06's that die (typically they run great right up until they go crunch) is probably small but it does happen and if it does happen to you it will cost you about $15k to fix it. As a happy GS owner I'd only get a Z06 if it had a long term power train warranty (that means NO mods) or if the heads had been done by someone who knows what they are doing. If you are looking for a big power boost I suggest you get an M6 GS coupe (that gets you the dry sump motor) and add forced induction. If you're that kind of person that is never happy with a stock motor I think you'll be safer with the GS plus FI. If its gotta be a Z06 just do it with your eyes wide open and don't cut corners on the warranty/head upgrade. JMO.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:57 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Cars at that budget number are going to have high mileage and a high mileage ZO6 has a good chance of being driven pretty hard. I'd try and find a GS.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:25 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm on my second Z06 with no issues and the wife has a GS.
They drive a lot different. 69 more hp is absolutely amazing.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:48 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vettetown
I am looking to buy a an 06-08 Z06 or perhaps a newer 2010-2011 Grand Sport. My budget is right at $35k but can pay a little more for the right car so with that budget I know its hard to find right now so thats why I am at the years I am at. I am looking for something < 40k miles.

Now my question is I love the Z06 but read way too many stories about the issues in the 06-08 years. My thoughts are what happens if I get the Grand Sport where I could take the top off (coupe) and I would have all the styling of the Z06 wider fenders, brakes, mn6 dry sump...etc but would be lacking about 70hp.

Scared to get the earlier Z06 based upon my budget and have head issues (dont want to go over my budget and then have to spend a couple grand fixing heads as a precaution) and wondering if I could ease my concern and be able to take the top off with the Grand Sport.

This is another one of those threads that only you can answer for yourself.

If a removable roof panel is essential, you need the Grand Sport.
If the extra kick you'll get from another 69hp is critical, you need to get the Z06.
If you want the styling, look, brakes, etc., of a Z06, and don't care about the extra hp, get the GS.
If odometer mileage is critical, obviously the later model GS will afford you more opportunity to obtain a much lower mileage car.
Bottom line,...your money, your call.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Cars at that budget number are going to have high mileage and a high mileage ZO6 has a good chance of being driven pretty hard. I'd try and find a GS.
$3k more than $35k gets you a low mileage Z06.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:01 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
Everybody's got an opinion on this one and it goes like this:

I've got a GS and love it! Those Z06's are ticking time bombs!
I've got a Z06 and it's awesome! Way better than a GS!

The number of Z06's that die (typically they run great right up until they go crunch) is probably small but it does happen and if it does happen to you it will cost you about $15k to fix it. As a happy GS owner I'd only get a Z06 if it had a long term power train warranty (that means NO mods) or if the heads had been done by someone who knows what they are doing. If you are looking for a big power boost I suggest you get an M6 GS coupe (that gets you the dry sump motor) and add forced induction. If you're that kind of person that is never happy with a stock motor I think you'll be safer with the GS plus FI. If its gotta be a Z06 just do it with your eyes wide open and don't cut corners on the warranty/head upgrade. JMO.

I had a 2007 Z and currently own a 13 GS.

We drive our Corvettes. The Z was totally unreliable. Clutch, tranny, heads and others. Most was fixed under warranty, but more problems would appear.

The GS has 20K miles with no/0/zip problems. Fun to drive and I sleep better at night.

The Z is a kick in the butt to drive, as long as you know what you're getting into.

my .02, 2k
Old 08-26-2015, 07:06 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Gs

Personally (biased opinion because I have a Grand Sport) I would/did choose the Manual transmission GS over the Zo6 when I was in the same position to buy either. I think...-since I'm starting this sentence with "I think" it's obviously my opinion, but you should get the GS & build it up gradually. That way it will be some what unique/personal & it's a very durable platform. I am gradually building up my GS & so far it's been a very good for mods. I have been doing some mods to mine & it's just getting better an better as the miles & mods keep adding up.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:34 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Get the GS way too many Zs on the road already..lol
Old 08-26-2015, 07:57 PM
Titan C6Z
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When I was searching and had the opportunity to get a base, GS or Z06 for $25-50k I went with the Z. '08 with 12.5k miles almost 2 years ago. I could've gone '05 LS2 if I wanted, but I went with the Z.

I'm sure I'd still be happy with that, but I got this. I've had no problems in 6k miles. I replaced all fluids and "fixed the heads" as planned immediately after aquiring the car . Enjoyed every minute and mile since. End if story.

Make a decision, make your own story, enjoy and tell it to the world.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:57 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Z06..

Make it black!
Old 08-26-2015, 09:55 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Here's black
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2015, 10:31 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,240 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I was in the same boat but my limit was around 40-43ish. Didn't want to spend more otherwise i would have started to look at GTR's, ZR1's etc.

I didn't care about having an LS7, or having a Z etc, hell i was even looking at LS2 C6's, modified etc.

BUt when it came down to actually buying one seriously, i knew i had to have a widebody. It was my first vette but i know after a couple of months i'd regret getting a base because i wanted the widebody look.

I need it to be as low mileage as possible, i did prefer stock, had to be manual, no convertible and with a warranty.

The Z's i did see, which were the 06-07's within my price range, were approaching 50k+ miles, out of warranty. They looked great, it was bone stock and actually slightly cheaper than my price range limit. But i didn't want a car that would blow up on me a couple months down the road. I came from rotary cars so i know about that feeling.

You can easily get close to making up for that deficit in power by adding long tubes and a tune. Which every corvette should have anyway.

Some people like the hardtop. Some people like targa and some people like convertible. With me, i could care less about the top missing. I wanted a hardtop but i know the GS came with targa top. And i have never taken it off yet and i owned the car 10 months now. ALl summer the top never came off. I might do it one day to experience it.

You could get the heads done right away as soon as you get the car but if you're like any car guy. When you do heads, you'll be like, "might as well do this because i'm there already". Then a shop who's doing the heads would recommend something else and you'll be like yeah that makes sense, gotta get that done now too, makes sense.

Before you know it, you spent 40k on a z06, 3k to get the heads done, then you're spending another 5k doing other stuff. You have a 50k car right there.

My suggestion, and this is the route i went. Get a grand sport coupe, with the manual.

Get a set of long tubes, a tune, and enjoy the car. You DON'T need z06 power. Hell with the bolt ons on the GS you'll be at stock Z hp level. And you'll have a great sound.

Enjoy that for now. Then if you want more power, you can supercharge your GS in which a Z you really can't. I mean you could but it's risky.

The LS3 is better for boost, the LS7 makes a good NA monster.

I bought myself a 2012 grand sport coupe 6spd with 6k on the odometer. And i have warranty. That's the route i took. I actually spend a couple grand more than the used Z's i saw with 50k miles and no warranty.

I didn't want problems. I could care less about repping the Z badge. The GS is still an amazing machine. Reliable, widebody and ready for boost when you are.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:44 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Z06 engine reliability is a concern. The for sale forum usually has a good number of Z06s for sale, usually a higher percentage than non Z06.

If you buy one make sure the heads are done or get them done. Otherwise you could be looking at a $15k bill. A 13 Z06 or 427 is in the $50k range so go from there. For $40k you should be able to find a nice one still under warranty. The fact is that most Corvette owners are afraid to drive their cars so most have low mileage. A 13 GS 4LT such as the anniversary edition are in the mid $40k range. The thing with C6 is that depreciation is very high up to around 3 years old then they start to level off which is good for a buyer because you can move up in years for little cost.

Don't believe the never seen a track or "babied" stories. A couple members on this site got caught lying about their "babied" C6.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:19 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Top off driving is important to me. I'd go GS.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 or Grand Sport?

Old 08-27-2015, 04:29 AM
10thumper
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

If you want to track fairly often get the Z. If you want higher than base performance with occasional track usage get the GS. Likewise, if you need AT, targa top or convertible get the GS. If you're only driving on the street I suggest the GS. Or, if you want to look like a track guy on the street then get the Z. These cars have so much power already you can't use the 69 extra horses legally anyway.

The LS7 head issue is blown out of proportion unless yours fail and then it's a very serious issue. The LS3 is pretty much rock solid.

Best advice, get what you want and make your own decision. You have to live with it.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:03 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Buy what you like,like what you buy. It's your money. I bought a GS because IMO it's the best looking C6 with the retro side gills!!! And I couldn't afford a Z06.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:21 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

There will be many othe posts but what has already been posted pretty much covers the important stuff. Good. Luck!

Quick Reply: Z06 or Grand Sport?