C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 10:22 AM
StrykerZ06
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C6 Grand Sport

I have a goal to reduce heat and sound deadening for my 2010 GS. I see Dynamat and Fat Mat as options. Fat Mat has good reviews and is less expensive. Anyone know of a product that has both qualities for heat and sound?
Thanks!
Old 08-23-2015, 12:25 PM
GSDriver
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a lot of opinions on both products. From what I understand the products sticky part is the biggest question. Some are made of an asphalt type of product that have been known to melt or smell. Dymamat products are expensive but what I have been told is they are mostly a sound deadening product for loose panels and work better in older cars to make them feel more solid and quieter inside. I think they have an additional product you need to buy that cuts down on sound and heat that is applied over the sticky dymamat product. Check youtube, there are a lot of videos on pros and cons. I have even seen people adding the dymamat under the wheel wells too. I want to do this as well, but cost and all the cross-info is turning me away.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:42 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,981 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

.....yeah I have the same questions about sound deadness for my 10 GS......hope we get some answers from those who have been there and done that......
Old 08-23-2015, 01:48 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

I'm sure any car could stand to be quieter, but I'm just not understanding the need to do this. I've had my car a year now, and just spent 2000 miles on interstates, two lanes, in town, out of town, inside and upside down.... I have no issues with the noise. Quiet as any other car I own and/or have driven.

The only obnoxious sound is with the NPP open around 50 to 60 mph in 5th gear. A simple push of the switch adds the expensive and time consuming sound deadening material in a split second.

I must add that the car did have greater road noise when I had the stock GY tires, but it wasn't bad enough to consider altering anything. The new Hankooks however did prove that those original tires were loud.

Just my opinion....
Old 08-23-2015, 02:18 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Ive heard good things about this stuff: http://www.lizardskin.com/ but seeing how its a roll on/spray on type product, it may not be as easy to work with as Dyna Mat is.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:41 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

I've done this a little bit to my GS and quite a bit on my prior Nissan 370Z. Heat and sound tend to require different materials (some overlap but not that much) to address each issue. The heat insulation usually isn't that heavy but sound insulation is heavy and can easily add 50-60 pounds to a car if you do a comprehensive job.

If you are after a luxury GT type environment you will probably get acceptable results but if you are trying to silence a droning aftermarket exhaust you may be disappointed.

What ar your goals?
Old 08-23-2015, 03:18 PM
StrykerZ06
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
I've done this a little bit to my GS and quite a bit on my prior Nissan 370Z. Heat and sound tend to require different materials (some overlap but not that much) to address each issue. The heat insulation usually isn't that heavy but sound insulation is heavy and can easily add 50-60 pounds to a car if you do a comprehensive job.

If you are after a luxury GT type environment you will probably get acceptable results but if you are trying to silence a droning aftermarket exhaust you may be disappointed.

What ar your goals?
I have a pair of 8" Bose Speakers I am going to install in the front doors, so my approach there is for something like or DynaMat, that will reduce the vibrations from the speakers and send more sound inside the cabin. For the rear deck area, where within inches, the B&B Fusion Bi-Mode exhaust sits, it generates a lot of heat.. that's where I am trying to tame that issue. The Billy Boats when shut down doesn't produce noticeable drone. Thanks for chiming in....
Old 08-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Bob Smulders
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys
Can you help me?
I'm going to buy a Corvette Grand Sport. It seems normal, right? But there is a one thing. I'm going to buy a used Corvette Grand Sport here. Do you think i'm crazy? I've found a low-priced variant and I have no idea what to do. Do you believe in such sites with low prices and do you believe that cheep luxury cars exist?
Old 08-23-2015, 04:51 PM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

A lot less trouble to just dump the run flats...

Mark
Old 08-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,981 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm getting some tire noise now that I am getting some miles on my B-Stones.....about 21,000 worth....I am just looking for some sound suppression no heat issues.....need run flats out here in God's country.......long way from anywhere......
Old 08-23-2015, 05:12 PM
hoodwink33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StrykerZ06
I have a goal to reduce heat and sound deadening for my 2010 GS. I see Dynamat and Fat Mat as options. Fat Mat has good reviews and is less expensive. Anyone know of a product that has both qualities for heat and sound?
Thanks!
I used this product I got off of ebay. I did the install last week and it did help with the drone and a lot cheeper than Dynamat. it is the asphalt base, but I have not noticed a smell.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141177655342?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 08-23-2015, 05:23 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

I have a pair of 8" Bose Speakers I am going to install in the front doors, so my approach there is for something like or DynaMat, that will reduce the vibrations from the speakers and send more sound inside the cabin. For the rear deck area, where within inches, the B&B Fusion Bi-Mode exhaust sits, it generates a lot of heat.. that's where I am trying to tame that issue. The Billy Boats when shut down doesn't produce noticeable drone. Thanks for chiming in....
Heat: Everything helps but Dynamat/Rammat (and other similar products) don't accomplish much for heat reduction but are excellent sound dampeners. Foil face bubble pack type insulation is light, affordable and a decent thermal insulator. Lowes sells it in small rolls. There are specialty insulators available online but I have no experience with them. Late model Corvettes have hot areas and they don't have a great deal of space in which to add insulation so don't expect miracles.

Sound: Dynamat/Rammat. A great deal has been written about how much coverage is best, in my experience more is better. The stuff is thin, not that expensive, it's effective and it's easy to work with. If you use a lot the weight will start to add up. You can supplement it with products like Luxury Liner Pro which is effective but is thick, heavy, expensive and not that easy to work with. Your efforts will reduce the general notice level in th car but not do much to supress exhaust drone.

Got more questions? Just ask 'em.

Last edited by Guard Dad; 08-24-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:55 AM
GL10DR
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks!
I have used a product called Second Skin with good results for heat but I have used their product for sound deadening. As others have stated you will need two different materials to achieve both goals.

there is also a package/kit from http://www.exoticvette.com/insulation%20c6.htm

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Grand Sport

Quick Reply: C6 Grand Sport