C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems from removing hood liner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 05:35 PM
donwil
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default problems from removing hood liner?

Hey fellas- I know this topic has been hit many times. I have not read one reply that said their hood was damaged because they removed the liner. I like the look a lot without it so 2 questions- 1) what does GM say about removing it if anything and 2) has anyone on the Forum done this and incurred hood damage because of it? I am going to remove it unless I get some negative feedback about doing so. As always thanks for your help and advice. Donwil
Old 08-21-2015, 08:21 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 546 Likes on 378 Posts

it is simple.buy plastic pry tools.use tape on all corners and middle so liner will not crease when you pop the plastic holders.

Last edited by lordofwar; 08-21-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:46 PM
donwil
Drifting

Originally Posted by lordofwar
it is simple.buy plastic pry tools.use tape on all corners and middle so liner will not crease when you pop the plastic holders.

Thx but I know how to get it off. I meant anyone have problems after leaving it off. I probably wasn't clear enough.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:58 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I replaced my hood with a carbon fiber one and painted parts and left exposed carbon in parts. I have no hood liner and have never had an issue with the paint in the last 5 years.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:26 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

This should answer your question.

"An automotive hoodliner is an essential piece of your car’s protective equipment. Attached to the underside of your car’s hood, the hoodliner prevents the extreme heat of the engine and other components in the engine compartment from transferring that heat to the hood, causing warping, paint and finish melting, and other safety issues. The hoodliner also acts as a heat disperser, helping the engine stay cool by drawing the engine’s heat into the hoodliner and dispersing it more effectively. A hoodliner is also an essential element in protecting the driver and passengers in the event of an engine fire, blocking flames and heat from reaching the car’s occupants. Most cars are also designed to allow the hoodliner’s attachments to quickly melt in the event of a fire, allowing the liner to fall onto the flames and help to smother them."

If you want to know where I found it, here it is, https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hoodliner.html
Old 08-22-2015, 07:15 PM
0Airbrush Inc
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I've been running my '08 without a hood liner for 5 years and about 40,000 miles with absolutely no issues. I airbrushed a mural directly on the underside of the hood, and the paint looks as good now as the day I did it......I actually get this question asked a lot. I usually point out that GM sells painted Fuel Rail Covers that hold up, and they are even closer to the heat than the hood is.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:13 AM
donwil
Drifting

Originally Posted by BWF07
This should answer your question.

"An automotive hoodliner is an essential piece of your car’s protective equipment. Attached to the underside of your car’s hood, the hoodliner prevents the extreme heat of the engine and other components in the engine compartment from transferring that heat to the hood, causing warping, paint and finish melting, and other safety issues. The hoodliner also acts as a heat disperser, helping the engine stay cool by drawing the engine’s heat into the hoodliner and dispersing it more effectively. A hoodliner is also an essential element in protecting the driver and passengers in the event of an engine fire, blocking flames and heat from reaching the car’s occupants. Most cars are also designed to allow the hoodliner’s attachments to quickly melt in the event of a fire, allowing the liner to fall onto the flames and help to smother them."

If you want to know where I found it, here it is, https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hoodliner.html
Thx BW- I was surprised to read it helps to disperse heat by absorbing it. I always thought it held it in more. I took mine off today and cleaned the underside of the hood up a bit. Was going to leave it off but it will be going back on tomorrow. Are the aftermarket ones made of the same material?

Get notified of new replies

To problems from removing hood liner?

Quick Reply: problems from removing hood liner?