C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC intermintent blows warm, Recerc no high speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:20 PM
Magneson
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Other than disconnecting the battery to do something what were they doing in there? Even then the battery can be disconnected without pulling up the carpet.

Bill
Who the heck knows Bill, they had no business in that part of the car. When I saw that, I fired them.

Time to try someone else, dropping the car off Tuesday...
Old 08-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Magneson
Le Mans Master

Car is fixed. Let the mud slinging begin.
Where do i start....After five visits to the Mark Christopher Chevrolet service center the A/C was still not fixed.

The short version..Mechanics should not be trusted to work on any Corvette. Antelope Valley Chevrolet finally fixed my car on the first visit. Here is the list of replaced parts some due to improper service from Mark Christoper Chevrolet.

Car is 2008 Z06

Parts replaced under GMPP (Yes, they will be getting a detailed letter.)

AC compressor
FDO broke Sensor (I told MC Chev to replace sensors)
HVAC controller
Mode Door valve assembly

Battery was replaced by Mark Christopher, I told them that was not going to fix it so I am out 145$ for a battery that did not fix any issue.

I am again very happy with my car but no thanks to Mark Christopher, they try hard, I will give them that but their is a time when they should say it is just too much for them
Posted on yelp today. ^^^^^^

So, bottom line is they hacked the wiring harness and made the fan run on one speed. The AV Chevrolet mechanic had to pull the dash to figure out the hack job.

Replaced a bunch of parts including the head unit and the compressor the actuator the multi mode door.

He said the pressure was too high and was destroying the clutch on the ac pump so he put a new one in...what a guy!

Hack job was used repeatedly.

The AC now works as designed. Like it was new!!! me so happy!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:28 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,029 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Yep, AC line has a high pressure switch to turn it off before it destroys the pump.

So either the car was over heating to cause the AC system to turn of off when the pressure got to high, or the rocket boys over filled the AC system to cause the pressure switch to kick the system off instead.

Instead of just resolving these basic problems of why the system was kicking off (tech II tool would have shown them the over pressure on the switch when checked), they went rogue/off script and started to bypass the safety systems, and how you ended up at the over all mess instead.

The vet is not a complex system, but does take a mechanic trained on the Vet to work and trouble shoot the system instead.

Bluntly, the first question you want to ask any dealer working on your Vet, are they allowed to sell a new ZR1!!!!! GM will not allow a dealer to sell, or even warranty repair a ZR1 if they don't have a mechanic that is trained to work on that model. So if they can sell, warranty work on a ZR1, then not only do they have a mechanic that is not only certified to work on vets to begin with, but has further training to work on the ZR1 model as well.

Note, the ZR1 is not the only special model that requires for a dealer to have "trained" mechanics to work on such models.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:52 PM
Magneson
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dano523
Yep, AC line has a high pressure switch to turn it off before it destroys the pump.

So either the car was over heating to cause the AC system to turn of off when the pressure got to high, or the rocket boys over filled the AC system to cause the pressure switch to kick the system off instead.

Instead of just resolving these basic problems of why the system was kicking off (tech II tool would have shown them the over pressure on the switch when checked), they went rogue/off script and started to bypass the safety systems, and how you ended up at the over all mess instead.

The vet is not a complex system, but does take a mechanic trained on the Vet to work and trouble shoot the system instead.

Bluntly, the first question you want to ask any dealer working on your Vet, are they allowed to sell a new ZR1!!!!! GM will not allow a dealer to sell, or even warranty repair a ZR1 if they don't have a mechanic that is trained to work on that model. So if they can sell, warranty work on a ZR1, then not only do they have a mechanic that is not only certified to work on vets to begin with, but has further training to work on the ZR1 model as well.

Note, the ZR1 is not the only special model that requires for a dealer to have "trained" mechanics to work on such models.
I agree, the Mechanic stated (Antelope Valley) that there was too much pressure in the system, he showed me on the gauges mine was up at 3 k? at idle for the high side and 500 low side...that is what was causing the ac to shut down.

A sensor in the ductwork was bad causing the head unit to be lost.

The AC compressor got destroyed with the high pressure in system.

They hacked in a wire to make the fan run, it had only one speed. He replaced the head unit, pulled the dash board and repaired the hacked wires that Mark Christopher service department hacked to wire the fan to one speed.

The high pressure was why the AC would blow warm.

When Mark Christopher put in a control actuator for the mode valve they broke the mode valve and dash had to be torn down.

Mess mess mess. 24 hours of labor all covered by gmpp plus a rental car for 5 days but my car is fixed.

Oh, new control module to fix the fan speed. recirc now works, all works as designed.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:08 AM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Wow, talk about a hack job. Glad you were able to bring it to another dealer that knows how to fix the problem.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:53 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stefuel
Here is the parts breakdown Part 8 (two of them) are not listed. Part 7 and 9 are the mode and air intake actuators
Yep, Actuator on mine was done this last week, well, one of them.
The right side blew warm and left blew cold and separated at the center vent that way. Cesar at Friendly got it fixed and blowing cold now. Will have to see which actuator it was and let you know.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:58 PM
Magneson
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RICH 28
Wow, talk about a hack job. Glad you were able to bring it to another dealer that knows how to fix the problem.
I'm way happy, after over a year of them trying. I waited too long to go somewhere else. I was actually dropping the car off the 6th time two weeks ago on a Saturday morning when I just got up and walked out on them just knowing they couldn't fix it, guess I just gave them too much leeway.

Originally Posted by vet55
Yep, Actuator on mine was done this last week, well, one of them.
The right side blew warm and left blew cold and separated at the center vent that way. Cesar at Friendly got it fixed and blowing cold now. Will have to see which actuator it was and let you know.
Thanks, be interesting to know. I am pretty sure a C6 vettes have the same ac systems but they are pretty complicated.

Quick Reply: AC intermintent blows warm, Recerc no high speed