C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorta fought a ticket and won-Revenue Enhancement

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 11:46 AM
DEciiBel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sorta fought a ticket and won-Revenue Enhancement

I totaled my '08. I actually do not know if I did anything wrong. The results indicated I did but it happened so fast and the immediacy left me with only very vague impressions.

While awaiting all the emergency crew to wrap up their mission, the FHP walked over and gave me a ticket for not displaying due care. He arrived after the first cop who also did not witness anything.

I asked why he wrote it and his reply, "It's policy."

I did not curse him out as I figured he was the messenger.
(BTW, I have the temperament to do so.)

The ticket was for $166 and would have given me 3 points. With the accident and a ticket I feared for my rates. This was justifiable, I thought, so I decided to fight it. That it was baseless and therefore unjustified added impetus.

On the morning of my 'Court Appearance' (it was a Hearing Officer which is just a cheap appointment for an attorney) all of the 'important people' and their representatives were seen first. You know, because lawyers matter. Shortly thereafter I was called to the lectern (after the hearing officer mispronounced my name).

Before I even reached the lectern, the FHP (Mr Refuse) literally trotted toward the bench and was said, " There were no witnesses, your honor." The HO Stiffen then said, "This ticket is dismissed."

I SAID NOTHING.

So why am I posting, right? Because there was no harm done to me and why am I whining.

I am doing this because this was nothing other than a bling grab for the money-REVENUE ENHANCEMENT. If you choose not to fight it because, you know the cop gave it to you and yo must be guilty fo something, the cop gets his quota, the state and county get my money and the Insurance Industry profits.

It's BS of the most fascist kind (I know worse exists.) and is in place here in Florida. Bad enforcement policies only lead to degradation of society and disrespect for it's institutions.

I urge anyone who suspects that he is an economic target of the law to research and if it seems verified, go to the mats! Parade that innocence about and back those buttheads up. Resist the machine.

Last edited by DEciiBel; 08-10-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: completion
Old 08-10-2015, 01:09 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,139 Likes on 709 Posts

Years ago, I got a running red light ticket on my bike. I thought the duration from yellow to red was too quick. I sat at the intersection one night and timed the light a dozen times. I made a chart to show that going the speed limit on that street would not allow a stop in time with that short of a yellow. Reaction time, feet per second, stopping distance...that kind of data. DA was impressed with my effort and dropped the charge.

More recently I sat on jury for trucker who got ticket for unsafe backing. He stood to lose his CDL with a conviction so he fought. Our jury of 6 found him not guilty in 5 minutes.

So it helps to stand your ground sometimes.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:49 PM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

I live just outside a 1/2 square mile village that uses the police force strictly for revenue generation. Everyone avoids the village as much as possible but I often have to take my chances. I've gotten several B.S tickets. If your front bumper overhangs the painted line when you make a full stop, you'll get a ticket even if you still can't see oncoming traffic from there. My wife got a ticket for going through a yellow light. The LEO acknowledged that it was yellow but said, "you were pushing it".

They always say they're giving you a break and write you up for a non-moving violation. My last one said it was for stopping in a No Standing zone - there aren't any No Standing zones in the entire village! Here's the catch, they have to share moving violation fines 50/50 with the state but the village can keep all the non-moving fines.

These parking fines can be up to $150 but there are no points on your license. If you choose to fight it, you'll win but the LEO is sure to remember you so the next one (there will be another one real soon) will carry points. So what can you do? Just give them their blood money and move on.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:31 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

interesting..... i had just about 10 minutes ago, added a post to a person that asked why i (or others) have a dash camera.

well, personally lots of reasons, driving and recording awesome scenery is one, my main reason... however, there have been cases where a dash camera has proven to the court you are innocent (or at least to yourself or spouse).

no, i dont want to get into case law of what is admissible to a judge/jury.. lol
Old 08-10-2015, 02:31 PM
10thumper
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I went up in the mountains with the gf on Sunday. I wasn't speeding at all just enjoying the weather and a calm drive after dinner. Once to the top some eager LEO decides to tailgate me all the way down just waiting for me to bust the 20mph curves. I get he needs to do his job but riding my *** (couldn't even see his headlights) to push me to speed is annoying as hell. I even pulled over to let him pass in case there was an emergency and he slowed and stayed behind me.

At the end of the drive we stopped at Starbucks to get him off our tail and unwind. He pulls into the parking lot and follows us inside and stands at the counter staring at us. So, I politely walk over and introduce myself to see if there is something he wishes to discuss. He said "no, I'm just observing" so I politely asked him for his business card so I could make an inquiry with his department. He wasn't too pleased but did provide the information.

So, yeah some of these guys are jerks but most of them do help us out a lot. We hate getting tickets but if you bust the speed limit, well that's kind of your fault. I'm sure this guy was having a bad day but I still plan to write an email to his department as I felt his driving behind me was unsafe.

The states need to make $ somehow...
Old 08-10-2015, 02:42 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There are lots of cities and towns that use their police force for nothing but revenue generation.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:26 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

We have had 2 municipalities in central Ohio have their Police force disbanded after enough hell was raised and it was obvious the Police where their to Solely generate capitol.
Keep complaining if you have a Village or City that abuses their power.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:48 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

the police motto "to protect and serve" is long gone. it's all about the $$...
Old 08-10-2015, 06:10 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Lots of states have laws against quotas
Old 08-10-2015, 08:11 PM
dev1360
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sorta fought a ticket and won-Revenue Enhancement

While I understand your frustration, I can speak first hand that your feelings are not the case.

Yes, there are municipalities that use the police for "revenue", that is generally only in very small towns with little income otherwise.

Sounds like FHP has a policy of issuing a citation to an at-fault driver. When it was presented, it was dropped. What interest would a state trooper have in issuing a citation for revenue? He gets paid the same either way, and departments rarely see any of the money. There is MORE of an incentive for the State's Attorney to pursue the charge for the monetary value than the cop on the street.

Being an LEO, I can confidently say that most cops at the street level have no interest in "revenue generation", and quotas are a big myth.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:49 PM
Allan
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
We have had 2 municipalities in central Ohio have their Police force disbanded after enough hell was raised and it was obvious the Police where their to Solely generate capitol.
Keep complaining if you have a Village or City that abuses their power.
New Rome & Brice.

New Rome no longer exists.
I think Brice still exists, writing "civil fines."

You forgot the Ohio Highway Patrol and the standard "no license plate light."

Last edited by Allan; 08-10-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:58 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Three years ago I had my C5 totaled because a girl was crossing a four-lane highway in an Explorer and pulled right out in front of me. I had maybe 40 feet to stop, and that's impossible if you're going about 55. This was in a small town, just a wide spot in the road. She didn't get a ticket because she knew the policeman that worked the accident ... he was the police chief, and as far as I know, their only officer.

The revenue enhancement function of police is one of the major reasons people are losing respect for law enforcement.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:01 AM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 894 Likes on 378 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

Single car accidents usually result in a citation similar to "failure to maintain control." You say you don't know how it happened. That seems extremely odd to me. As "policy" dictating a citation be issued in all accident cases, that is true in many jurisdictions. The simple fact is something caused the accident. Absence of any other indication of cause, is prima facia evidence that the driver did not maintain control of the vehicle, or did not "display due care." Be careful of your disdain for the LEO, because of "policy" he/she must follow. LE agencies are regularly directed by city, county, or state government on what actions are to be taken. Remember your encounter was caused by "your" actions, and nobody else.

Answer these questions; Who put you in that situation? Are you looking in a mirror? You wouldn't have been in the situation if you would have displayed "due care." What have you learned from this grasshopper?

I get a chuckle reading about people who whine about getting tickets. They always call the LEO an *******, etc., etc. In my many years as an LEO I never wrote a speeding ticket for less than 11 over the limit. Regularly got the question "Don't you give breaks?" I would usually reply one of two ways: "Yes I do, up to 10 mph over the limit." or "The last time you were speeding and didn't get stopped, that was your break." I covered many single car accidents where a driver owned more car than he could handle. Some lived to talk about it, but many did not. Consider yourself lucky in more ways than one.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:54 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Globeman
I live just outside a 1/2 square mile village that uses the police force strictly for revenue generation. Everyone avoids the village as much as possible but I often have to take my chances. I've gotten several B.S tickets. If your front bumper overhangs the painted line when you make a full stop, you'll get a ticket even if you still can't see oncoming traffic from there. My wife got a ticket for going through a yellow light. The LEO acknowledged that it was yellow but said, "you were pushing it".

They always say they're giving you a break and write you up for a non-moving violation. My last one said it was for stopping in a No Standing zone - there aren't any No Standing zones in the entire village! Here's the catch, they have to share moving violation fines 50/50 with the state but the village can keep all the non-moving fines.

These parking fines can be up to $150 but there are no points on your license. If you choose to fight it, you'll win but the LEO is sure to remember you so the next one (there will be another one real soon) will carry points. So what can you do? Just give them their blood money and move on.
Pretty much, smaller towns and villages in NY all do this. Last time I had a speeding ticket it was plead guilty pay $150 + 3 points + 10% insurance hike (due to losing discount for "safe driver") OR Show up and fight it plead not-guilty pay $100 + $20 for "driving school" (4 hour class). Which would you choose? Now apparently they dropped to school racket and just made to you pay $125 to them directly to plead down to a parking ticket.

The larger cities do not do this.

I know Buffalo for instance has a no reduction policy but you have to do something really stupid to get a ticket in the city in the first place.

Pretty sure Rochester and Syracuse are the same. No Idea in NYC I refuse to drive there.

Last edited by Grimlock13; 08-11-2015 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I got a ticket and went to court over it, and won. It has been about 15 years ago. I turned off a federal highway onto a city road, and was doing 35 mph. After about 1/2 mile a city cruiser pulled me over, just as I left the city limits. He asked me, "Do you know how fast you were driving?" I said 35. He then asked, "Do you know what the speed limit is?" I said, 35. He said no, it was 25, and asked me to look at the sign, behind us, as you enter their city limits. Sure enough, it said 25. After he left, it kept bothering me, because I had not seen the speed limit sign, so I went and backtracked my route. I drove the entire route that I had taken, and there was no speed limit sign coming from my direction, only in the opposite direction. I went home and got my video camera (before smart phones) and made my wife drive me the entire route, while I took video of the road until we left the city limits, and then turned and showed the sign in the opposite direction. The judge dismissed my case, and asked me to go and tell the police chief, that he did not want any more tickets issued until they had signs posted. They got them up about 30 days later.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,640 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Glad no one was hurt. Now here's my 2 cents. The LEO gave you a ticket, and said it was policy. That means he has his orders, and can't waiver. He gave you a court date. You went to court, got it dropped, and now it's the Cops fault. You had the wreck, correct?

FYI, Drivers license points and Insurance points are two different things in North Carolina, and probably in Florida also. If I understand correctly this was a one vehicle accident. If so you may need to hang on, your Insurance company may have a premium increase headed your way. I hope not, but you may want to prepare yourself.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 08-11-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:14 AM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So let me get this straight.....YOU had an accident and you don't know how or why... YOU tied up a Police Officer for probably some hours investigating your situation....when he could have been doing other things....tied up a tow truck and maybe some rescue people for who knows how long.... and somehow totaled your car ...and now you are pissed at the Cop for doing his job and following procedure..... wow!....with this and some other mentality shown here by the LEO haters, sure makes one wonder.....after all.... who the hell ever hears of taking responsibility for one actions....Whine on sir...whine on....jeeze

Last edited by PatriotZ; 08-12-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:42 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jrose7004
There are lots of cities and towns that use their police force for nothing but revenue generation.
Is that not the essence of today's court systems?

Laws to feed lawyers to feed on the system...

Get notified of new replies

To Sorta fought a ticket and won-Revenue Enhancement

Quick Reply: Sorta fought a ticket and won-Revenue Enhancement