C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If your Vette didin't have an odometer...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:15 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts
Default If your Vette didin't have an odometer...

...would you drive it more? Serious question. I'm getting ready to surpass four digits on my odometer and wondered why I was even caring. It's such a pleasure to drive, I find myself discouraged when I finally find myself getting close to home. I'm going to do everything in my power to overcome any reservations in putting miles on this great piece of machinery. Like many have said here, "Are you saving it for someone else?"

So, who among you would possible drive it all the time if it didn't measure the mileage?

p.s., for the spelling police, sorry I goofed in the title of the thread...
Old 07-31-2015, 06:29 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Have put 80K+ on my '06; I don't worry about the odometer, I bought it to drive and enjoy
Old 07-31-2015, 06:40 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

well, ma and i figure, being of (sorta) sound mind and (not really) sound body , will let the kids fight over the car cause... we are driving it into the ground!!!!!!

of course we take extreme car of it (just came in from waxing it actually) and never drive it in the rain (as if it would melt). when we feel 'funky down' , getting in, pressing the "We Have Ignition" button, turn stereo up LOUD and just head out.... all is better!!!!!!

we took a road trip on Route 66 a couple week ends ago, waved at about 8 other C5 & C6 in the hour we drove it.

would we drive it more if no odo... pffttttttttt doesnt factor in at all
Old 07-31-2015, 06:56 PM
brookemiranda
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If your Vette didin't have an odometer...

Bought an 07 with less than 10,000 miles on it a year and a half ago. I drive it every day and have taken many road trips in it. Have almost 50,000 miles on it and wouldn't have it any other way. That's why I bought it, to drive it.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:58 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

It would be impossible to drive it more . It is my DD. People ask me "aren't you worried about putting TOO much mileage" on your Corvette. NO I am NOT, I will drive it until it will not drive any more ....then I will but another. I buy my cars to drive , after all i bought it for ME. I bought my 1998 Camaro Z28 for me on my Birthday in November 1997 and now have around 321,000 miles on it. I look at it this way if I was to not put TOO many miles on it and I suddenly died, someone else would put on the rest. My suggestion is to drive it till it drops.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:13 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
...would you drive it more? Serious question. I'm getting ready to surpass four digits on my odometer and wondered why I was even caring. It's such a pleasure to drive, I find myself discouraged when I finally find myself getting close to home. I'm going to do everything in my power to overcome any reservations in putting miles on this great piece of machinery. Like many have said here, "Are you saving it for someone else?"

So, who among you would possible drive it all the time if it didn't measure the mileage?

p.s., for the spelling police, sorry I goofed in the title of the thread...
probably would have not affect wish I had a rainometer -- that would tell me more about how much I drive it in Seattle.

This summer has been almost drive it everyday - damn it it has been hot and sunny!!!
Old 07-31-2015, 09:29 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I only have one car and two motorcycles. My 06 has 78K and is still running and looking great! I'm planning on a road trip to the R&R Hall of Fame induction ceremony and museum after a visit to Bowling Green. Then I'll run across 'the top' and into Montana and Glacier NP. I have no worries as I've already covered eight states with it, top up and down! This trip should add 6,000 or so more miles. Accruing mileage is not a worry.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:31 PM
Mikez40
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
It would be impossible to drive it more . It is my DD. People ask me "aren't you worried about putting TOO much mileage" on your Corvette. NO I am NOT, I will drive it until it will not drive any more ....then I will but another. I buy my cars to drive , after all i bought it for ME. I bought my 1998 Camaro Z28 for me on my Birthday in November 1997 and now have around 321,000 miles on it. I look at it this way if I was to not put TOO many miles on it and I suddenly died, someone else would put on the rest. My suggestion is to drive it till it drops.
I am the same way, I put about 900 miles a week on mine. I spend 3 hours a day driving to and from work. But I got to say I enjoy every mile. I am on my 5th vette, and when this one wares out, I'll find another garage queen to tear up.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:36 PM
tealex
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Odometer doesn't make any difference. Bought it to drive and have fun. I take good care of it because it cost $$$$$$ but drive it as often as I want.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:52 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't even watch my odometer. I bought the car to enjoy it, and enjoy it daily I shall.

the odometer is the next owner's concern, not mine.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:59 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

To the original question, probably. But then I don't really fear the miles. Mine turned 10000 miles the other day, and I felt good that I finally got there. Took a photo. I hope to drive the next 10,000 in less time.

I retired early so now can drive it anytime I want. Even a trip to the Post Office is an excuse to get it out. The only reason I didn't drive it to work last year is the commute traffic here is crazy and road trash is everywhere. I'll not expand on the corporate office parking lot issues.

I use a lot of discretion regarding the conditions that I expose it to. It's appearance is important to me, and paint damage sort of messes that up in my opinion.

Enjoy yours the way you want to enjoy it is my suggestion. It depreciates a whole lot just based on age. We retain very little value by not driving the cars.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:04 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by cartop2
To the original question, probably. But then I don't really fear the miles. Mine turned 10000 miles the other day, and I felt good that I finally got there. Took a photo. I hope to drive the next 10,000 in less time.

I retired early so now can drive it anytime I want. Even a trip to the Post Office is an excuse to get it out. The only reason I didn't drive it to work last year is the commute traffic here is crazy and road trash is everywhere. I'll not expand on the corporate office parking lot issues.

I use a lot of discretion regarding the conditions that I expose it to. It's appearance is important to me, and paint damage sort of messes that up in my opinion.

Enjoy yours the way you want to enjoy it is my suggestion. It depreciates a whole lot just based on age. We retain very little value by not driving the cars.
Good response.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:47 PM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
Can't argue this logic! I will drive mine until I can't anymore!
Old 08-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Welker1
Have put 80K+ on my '06; I don't worry about the odometer, I bought it to drive and enjoy
I have 82K plus and never give the mileage a thought. I bought a C5 from a lady who drove it about 100 miles per month. Was like new, but not when I traded it for the C6.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:21 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Oh, lordy, that dilemma came and went much more than a quarter of a million Corvette miles ago.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:25 AM
airspeed
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with all the comments above bought my first vette for my 70th.b Day found a great
garage queen 073lt. vert. 11200 miles,at this age I have no thoughts of keeping low miles
on it. now 73 and drive it every day and love it,get bad vibes from my truck every time I pass by it. turned that garage queen into a street ***** the more I drive it the better it seems to run best car I ever had.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:28 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

it's just a car...

We daily drive both. DashLogic doesn't even let me see the odometer unless I disable it and last I checked 58k miles and climbing.

Get notified of new replies

To If your Vette didin't have an odometer...

Old 08-01-2015, 08:37 AM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only reason i have not been driving vett much lately is i took up golf
Old 08-01-2015, 10:51 AM
GaryPitts
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine's a DD. I only put about 10k a year on it. I don't mind at all. It'll have under 100k when I get my next one.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:00 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,915 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Mileage at this point does not really mean much. It is not and never was a garage queen. It is my choice of a car to drive. Have enjoyed every mile, even the ones stuck in traffic.

Absolutely love to drive this car. Wife and I always take it instead of hers.

Plan to keep this one when I buy the next one.

Quick Reply: If your Vette didin't have an odometer...