C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW shifter installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 01:16 AM
Theburninator
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MGW shifter installed

I know this has been played to death, but here's my story anyway! I've been on the fence for a long time about replacing my factory shifter and finally decided to go for it last week. I ordered the shifter from MGW and had it at my door in less than a week. I received it today and installed it during the afternoon (maybe 2 hours time max).

Wow...just wow! It's almost like driving a different car! The shifting is SO much better now! They should definitely come from the factory like that. I took her out for a nice long drive and enjoyed the heck out of it. The only issue I had was that I missed fifth gear a couple of times and slid back into third, but I assume that's just because I'm not used to the new shifter yet.

Anyway, if you're on the fence about it, I think it's probably one of the best/most effective mods you can do...worth EVERY PENNY!
Old 07-31-2015, 09:01 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks. I'm like you were, still on the fence, but you're not the first to mention missing 5th. I've had issues at the track with 3rd but haven't missed yet this year with my stocker. Still on fence.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:49 AM
VetteNGT500
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, this has beeen beat to death, BUT, get off fence, get one, you won't be sorry, should have been the first mod I did.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:05 PM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

Op you didn't mention whether you installed the lower base unit also.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:14 PM
Ekul61
Burning Brakes

This stuff cracks me up. We said the same thing about the c5. You would think that GM would have picked up on this.. and installed a mgw type shifter.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:57 PM
Theburninator
Instructor

Originally Posted by carl3989
Op you didn't mention whether you installed the lower base unit also.
Yes, I installed the lower unit as well. I'm really impressed that the kit includes sound dampening and heat insulation for the install...all things that really should have come that way from the factory.

I need to get out and drive it some more and figure out what I was doing wrong to miss those fifth gear shifts now!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:18 PM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

One of the best mods I did..
Old 08-01-2015, 10:46 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

USN

Default Mods

Originally Posted by Theburninator
Yes, I installed the lower unit as well. I'm really impressed that the kit includes sound dampening and heat insulation for the install...all things that really should have come that way from the factory.

I need to get out and drive it some more and figure out what I was doing wrong to miss those fifth gear shifts now!
I installed the original MGW shifter a couple of years ago and it improved the shifting of my 2008. Recently, when they came out with a lower unit which will make the shifting effort similar to OEM, I decided to upgrade. Unfortunately the earlier MGW shifters are not compatible to the new lower billet unit. So I had to buy the new shifter also. MGW however gave me a $100 credit for the old shifter which I sent back. I was blown away by the improvement. MGW has created one of the best mods for a C5/6 IMHO. As for the 5th gear acquisition I found it helpful to place my hand on the side of the shifter which puts a little more pressure to acquire that 5th gear. You may also might want to try the Anti-Venom Mod.. I use 1 washer which was just right for me. Others have tried 2 or more which I guess is according to taste.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:48 PM
Theburninator
Instructor

Originally Posted by carl3989
I installed the original MGW shifter a couple of years ago and it improved the shifting of my 2008. Recently, when they came out with a lower unit which will make the shifting effort similar to OEM, I decided to upgrade. Unfortunately the earlier MGW shifters are not compatible to the new lower billet unit. So I had to buy the new shifter also. MGW however gave me a $100 credit for the old shifter which I sent back. I was blown away by the improvement. MGW has created one of the best mods for a C5/6 IMHO. As for the 5th gear acquisition I found it helpful to place my hand on the side of the shifter which puts a little more pressure to acquire that 5th gear. You may also might want to try the Anti-Venom Mod.. I use 1 washer which was just right for me. Others have tried 2 or more which I guess is according to taste.
What exactly does the anti-venom mod do? I've heard it mentioned before, but would love some more details!
Old 08-02-2015, 09:16 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

USN

Default Anti-Venom

What exactly does the anti-venom mod do? I've heard it mentioned before, but would love some more details!
It entails putting one or more washers on the bolt/spring detent bolt on the tranny. This reduces the amount of force the detent bolt applies to the tranny gears, making shifting easier. Draw back: possibility of tranny popping out of gear. However, I never read about any one having this problem consistently. Of course the possibility of this happening would increase proportionally with the amount of washers used. Please do a search on this forum for more specifics.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:04 AM
AWARE02
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default MGW install

Installed my 10th MGW shifter yesterday in a friend's GS. I have personnaly installed 5 in my cars and the rest in friends. You can't beat the quality and ease of installation!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:55 PM
mikes08z06
Instructor

Another MGW convert. The shifter with lower box absolutely works beautifully and is an incredible piece of engineering too. I can't believe there is a better quality, precision shifter out there. Wish all aftermarket vendors delivered on their promise as well as MGW does. Kind of a shame to hide it under the boot.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:30 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Do Try Anti-Venom

I used one washer which provided just enough extra slack to make the shifter perfect.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:59 PM
jacktucky
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just put mine in today. Shifter is awesome. Videos were a huge help.

Very happy customer.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:44 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Shortly, I'll be replacing my current MGW with the latest +box .
Old 08-10-2015, 08:48 AM
Traumamoma
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mgw

I realize I am in the minority here, but having had both, it's Hurst for me. The throws feel noticeably shorter than the MGW and I like the notchy, mechanical feel to it. Regards to all, Peter
Old 08-10-2015, 08:58 AM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 79 Posts

I seem to remember someone posting their dealer wouldn't warranty some transmission issues because changing the shifter was a mod to the drive train there by voiding the 5 yr/100,000 warranty.

Does GM consider this a mod to the drive train?

Get notified of new replies

To MGW shifter installed

Old 08-13-2015, 02:39 PM
mxw128
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I haven't even picked up the "new to me" Grand Sport yet, but I already ordered the MGW shifter..
Old 08-31-2015, 08:24 PM
Theburninator
Instructor

OK, quick question for fellow MGW owners: Is it normal for the shifter to be able to move left and right while it is in gear? Getting into gears isn't an issue, but I've noticed that once I'm in gear, the know will move all the way to the right or left, but the car stays in gear. Just wanting to see if that was normal!
Old 08-31-2015, 08:26 PM
Theburninator
Instructor

By law, they have to prove that the shifter caused the damage, but pursuing that would require a lawyer/etc....but strictly according to the law, the cannot deny the claim unless they can prove the shifter was the problem.

Originally Posted by Revette
I seem to remember someone posting their dealer wouldn't warranty some transmission issues because changing the shifter was a mod to the drive train there by voiding the 5 yr/100,000 warranty.

Does GM consider this a mod to the drive train?

Quick Reply: MGW shifter installed