C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Drone

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Nightdiver
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust Drone

My guess this subject has been discussed previously, however being a newbie to this site and also being a new owner of a C6 (2007) I'm hoping that someone out there has the answer.....ok so purchased said C6 about 2 months ago....have replaced stock GPS system, replaced stock air filter system with K & N system and, a few days ago replaced stock exhaust system with a new axle back SLP Loudmouths, the car sounds awesome, however yes there is a drone, as it is i can bear this but, i just feel if there is a way of getting a better interior sound then why not...one question would be what does the exterior sound like while the interior is getting this drone, hopefully nothing like the droning noise from inside???? I have read that it is possible to ease the drone by using pipes added at a 90 degree angle, or by adding baffles somehow...not really wanting to go down these roads however...so any help on this would be great...thank you
Old 07-28-2015, 10:31 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,653 Likes on 2,361 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Nightdiver
...I have read that it is possible to ease the drone by using pipes added at a 90 degree angle, or by adding baffles somehow...not really wanting to go down these roads however...so any help on this would be great...thank you
Yup, where the pipes exit the back of the car put on a 90 and run them vertical up the back. Drone gone.
Seriously, IMHO, the car is going to have drone in the 1400-1600 rpm range. You can change gears, change speed, add an H pipe, X pipe, use sound deadener padding, etc., but there is still going to be drone.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:37 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Yup, where the pipes exit the back of the car put on a 90 and run them vertical up the back. Drone gone.
Seriously, IMHO, the car is going to have drone in the 1400-1600 rpm range. You can change gears, change speed, add an H pipe, X pipe, use sound deadener padding, etc., but there is still going to be drone.
All will have some, but Corsa has the least. I don't hear any and I have long tube headers also.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:22 AM
BadgeZ28
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My previous ride had bad drone at certain rpm's. Never again. This time I went with Corsa sports which don't drone.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:58 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

Corsa sports - they seem to be the company to get rid of drone. Look up the reports of most others and DRONE is in almost every one of those others.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:12 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts

As stated above, Corsa is the system that has the least and that's what I put on mine.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:45 PM
HEB
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by jrose7004
As stated above, Corsa is the system that has the least and that's what I put on mine.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:50 PM
BJB714
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the Borla Stinger II on mine - no drone
Old 07-28-2015, 02:01 PM
BillH2121
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with the others recommending Corsa. I had B&B Bullets on my car for over a year and the drone drove me crazy. Put on Corsa Sports and I'm very happy with the exhaust note and absolutely no drone on the hi-way.

As to your question about whether drone is heard outside the car, I would say not - drone is a function of resonance between the exhaust and the car body. Corvettes with the open area behind the seats covered mostly in glass create a great chamber for resonance. You would have to do extensive sound-deadening to eliminate even a portion of the drone. Also, I found "shifting around" the drone doesn't always work, especially with hi-way driving. When you downshift to kick up the rpms to get out of the "drone-zone", the sound of the exhaust is also much louder, so you trade one annoyance for another. I don't mind a loud exhaust around town but traveling for hours with that constant loud noise gets old.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:19 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BillH2121

As to your question about whether drone is heard outside the car, I would say not - drone is a function of resonance between the exhaust and the car body. Corvettes with the open area behind the seats covered mostly in glass create a great chamber for resonance. You would have to do extensive sound-deadening to eliminate even a portion of the drone. Also, I found "shifting around" the drone doesn't always work, especially with hi-way driving. When you downshift to kick up the rpms to get out of the "drone-zone", the sound of the exhaust is also much louder, so you trade one annoyance for another. I don't mind a loud exhaust around town but traveling for hours with that constant loud noise gets old.
- mostly.

Drone isn't caused by the exhaust, but by the reaction between the exhaust output and the interior of the car. From the outside it isn't an issue. But inside, low pitched exhausts create "echoes" which bounce around the inside, feed off each other, and make really unpleasant noise.

I couldn't talk to the passenger in my car when I was at 70, in 6th, with a light load on the engine. I love the look/sound of my SLP's (PowerFlo), but the drone was awful.

Fixing it isn't as bad as some people think. In the coupes, you have a 'plastic' tub which forms the bottom of the cargo hatch, plus rear glass which focuses the sound to the front of the car. Imagine putting your head inside a plastic bucket, and having someone constantly beat on the outside with drumsticks.

You need to deaden the tub so it doesn't vibrate (Dynamat, or similar material). Then add a layer over the dampening material to block any sounds from the outside (exhaust, road noise, etc) from entering into the rear hatch (Cascade Audio 4.5, Ensolite, or other closed cell foam barriers).

Takes a few hours, $100, and some nicked fingers (aluminum backing on Dynamat). The drone with my SLP's is 90% gone. I hear the exhaust, but not the sympathetic vibrations causing drone.

(tips: the dampening material doesn't need to cover the entire rear tub - people typically recommend 25 - 50% coverage. It is designed to absorb vibrations in the material, so you just need enough to change the characteristics of the material. But the sound barrier needs to be 100% coverage - imagine a wall of windows. If you close 75% of the windows, you don't block much sound from coming in - gotta close them all to have much effect)

Last edited by WAwatchnut; 07-28-2015 at 02:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
I Fly Low (10-26-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by BJB714
The best sounding and best made exhaust on the market"""
Old 07-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by BJB714
My Borla's are very quiet at cruising speed.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:29 PM
Nightdiver
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
- mostly.

Drone isn't caused by the exhaust, but by the reaction between the exhaust output and the interior of the car. From the outside it isn't an issue. But inside, low pitched exhausts create "echoes" which bounce around the inside, feed off each other, and make really unpleasant noise.

I couldn't talk to the passenger in my car when I was at 70, in 6th, with a light load on the engine. I love the look/sound of my SLP's (PowerFlo), but the drone was awful.

Fixing it isn't as bad as some people think. In the coupes, you have a 'plastic' tub which forms the bottom of the cargo hatch, plus rear glass which focuses the sound to the front of the car. Imagine putting your head inside a plastic bucket, and having someone constantly beat on the outside with drumsticks.

You need to deaden the tub so it doesn't vibrate (Dynamat, or similar material). Then add a layer over the dampening material to block any sounds from the outside (exhaust, road noise, etc) from entering into the rear hatch (Cascade Audio 4.5, Ensolite, or other closed cell foam barriers).

Takes a few hours, $100, and some nicked fingers (aluminum backing on Dynamat). The drone with my SLP's is 90% gone. I hear the exhaust, but not the sympathetic vibrations causing drone.

(tips: the dampening material doesn't need to cover the entire rear tub - people typically recommend 25 - 50% coverage. It is designed to absorb vibrations in the material, so you just need enough to change the characteristics of the material. But the sound barrier needs to be 100% coverage - imagine a wall of windows. If you close 75% of the windows, you don't block much sound from coming in - gotta close them all to have much effect)
Thank you....I really do not want to change these SLP's and, putting 90's on the end of them is just not going to happen...(thank you to the guy who helped me with that but no way) Tell you if I can get rid of 50 percent I would be happy with that but certainly looking forward to loosing the 90 Percent...I will post my results when I have time to work on the Vette again...awesome answers..thank you all that replied...
Old 07-28-2015, 05:37 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts

You can get a precut kit for the insulation for a vert or coupe. I put one in my coupe back in 08. Also added some Dynomat. Helps with road noise and heat from the headers/cats.

You can find pretty good instructions here also.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:54 PM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

What about the new Borla ATAK? Thinking of installing the atak or the Corsa Extreme. I just don't know. Maybe i'll wait for Carlisle at the end of August.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:50 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,653 Likes on 2,361 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BillH2121
...drone is a function of resonance between the exhaust and the car body.
- mostly.
Drone isn't caused by the exhaust, but by the reaction between the exhaust output and the interior of the car.
Um, actually, kinda sorta...exhaust drone is the result of sound frequency alignment between the engine and exhaust. When the frequencies are aligned, the result is a pressure wave between the engine and exhaust. Listen the a high powered boat go by and, at certain rpm's, there is a noticeable drone.
IMHO most all cars with dual exhaust have drone. The louder the exhaust, the louder the drone. But, it is all subjective. As WAwatchnut said "I couldn't talk to the passenger in my car when I was at 70, in 6th, with a light load on the engine. I love the look/sound of my SLP's (PowerFlo), but the drone was awful." I had SLP Powerflos on my '05 and yes, there was a mild (to me) drone at 1400-1600 but, overall, the exhaust was too quite (again, my opinion).
Corsa Sports seem to get the best no/low drone rating. Add those and some sound deadener and it may be what you are looking for.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:57 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by PAUL02
What about the new Borla ATAK? Thinking of installing the atak or the Corsa Extreme. I just don't know. Maybe i'll wait for Carlisle at the end of August.
I have the ATAK 3" system with stock Z06 manifolds, awesome sound, no drone.

DJ

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Drone

Old 07-28-2015, 10:27 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Exhaust Drone

When my header/cam (NPP no fuse) car starts to emit a drone, I turn the darn radio off.

Really, at a cruise it's just fine. It's a frigging muscle car.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:29 AM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by petsur
When my header/cam (NPP no fuse) car starts to emit a drone, I turn the darn radio off.

Really, at a cruise it's just fine. It's a frigging muscle car.
Some drone I would say is acceptable, but my B&B bullets, and GHLs droned so bad at such a large RPM range, I took them right off.

The drone in my NPP or my modded Z06 Bi-modes didn't drone much at all with no fuse.

DJ
Old 07-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

- mostly.

Nice! Downside is that stuff is Heavy. Someone interested in max performance will not be happy with the added weight.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Drone