C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer wants $1680.00 labor to change out fuel senders

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:15 PM
scottaolsen
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Dealer wants $1680.00 labor to change out fuel senders

$1680.00 labor to change out fuel senders sound right?

Also, if I pull the trigger, thinking about replacing the fuel pumps as well, but that adds another $1000+ in parts.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:40 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I was at a car show this Saturday an a 07 owner said about the same price. Dealer was going to charge him 11 hours of labor per sender but he negotiated down since they have to do similar tasks for both senders. Maybe check with a Corvette repair place. Also there was a dealer in Lewes, DE that offered real good prices for parts.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:00 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Sounds high to me. The pump and sender may be a unit. I would shop around for sure.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:16 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,324 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Have you tried running a bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate through your system see if it unsticks the senders?
It may be worth a try if you haven't yet.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:23 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Have you tried running a bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate through your system see if it unsticks the senders?
I was going to post the same thing...... I would try several fill ups.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:45 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I bought a low mileage Vette, the engine would starve in 4th gear on the race track, Texas World Speedway, I added a bottle of Techron and a bottle of Sea Foam to the gas tank when I refilled for about 4 times. After that the fuel system cleaned up and I was able to hit 145 on the track where before my car would start missing around 120. This was a sugestion from a mechanic that has done work on my cars.

This is a lot cheaper than dropping a tank. This was before I went from stock to cammed.

Last edited by Suds; 07-21-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:06 PM
scottaolsen
Instructor

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR

Yes, I have tried Techron. Several times.

Problem started when I'd hit half a tank, then the Check Fuel System message for awhile, and as the tank emptied it would go away. Problem moved to the first tank and would get Empty after I filled up.

Dealer at first wanted to charge 10 hours for each tank until I explained why should I have to pay to drop the rear end twice.

Actually I could live with a screwy fuel gauge since it eventually starts working. It's the dinging and the message in the HUD that will drive you nuts.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:16 PM
gmtech1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I would change the pump also.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:26 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not suggesting that this is a DIY project (because it isn't), but if you are mechanically inclined......

Old 07-21-2015, 11:34 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by scottaolsen
Yes, I have tried Techron. Several times.

Problem started when I'd hit half a tank, then the Check Fuel System message for awhile, and as the tank emptied it would go away. Problem moved to the first tank and would get Empty after I filled up.

Dealer at first wanted to charge 10 hours for each tank until I explained why should I have to pay to drop the rear end twice.

Actually I could live with a screwy fuel gauge since it eventually starts working. It's the dinging and the message in the HUD that will drive you nuts.
This is "progress."
Old 07-22-2015, 01:47 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

There was a guy on here within the last 10 months that changed his fuel pump by cutting away a small portion of the hatch floor. He made up a sheet metal replacement for the floor when he was done. Kinda gutsy, but got the job done for next to nothing.

Someone else dropped the passenger tank without dropping the cradle, but don't remember who or how long ago. It might have been posted in the tech forum.

If I had that problem, I'd consider buying a left side tank from a salvage yard and swapping it myself.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:50 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Suds
I bought a low mileage Vette, the engine would starve in 4th gear on the race track, Texas World Speedway, I added a bottle of Techron and a bottle of Sea Foam to the gas tank when I refilled for about 4 times. After that the fuel system cleaned up and I was able to hit 145 on the track where before my car would start missing around 120. This was a sugestion from a mechanic that has done work on my cars.

This is a lot cheaper than dropping a tank. This was before I went from stock to cammed.
Nice info,thanks. That combination must really clean the carbon build up on the underside of the valves,allowing more air/fuel flow which equals more power!! especially in older engines.

Last edited by Don-Vette; 07-22-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:22 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

OP you have several choices in San D. besides the dealer and most will charge less for labor, a big part of your cost. I'd check out the other places that specialize, or work on Corvettes.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:38 AM
scottaolsen
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
OP you have several choices in San D. besides the dealer and most will charge less for labor, a big part of your cost. I'd check out the other places that specialize, or work on Corvettes.
The Corvette Shop and a trusted shop I've used before told me they'd rather not do it.

Suggestions are welcome, though.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:28 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Might call and ask Rick's RB Auto Center, or Excelsior Motorsports. Also ask John, "SUB VETTE" if he has any suggestions.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:57 AM
QUE
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Morning,

I had my right tank's fuel pump and sensor assembly changed last August in my C6-2005Vette, because the diagnostic revealed that this was the cause of my gas gauge being inoperable. The cost was $1,150(unit part and 11 labor hours)

The gas gauge worked for a weak. Last Octorber I changed out my battery then the my gas gauge worked for 5 days. It is still nonfunctional.
I've tried the Chevron treatments to no avail. It still doesn't work.
I've paid for loose wiring checks and came up with nothing.

Last month I took my car in for the low beam light recall. After the recall replacement, my gas gauge worked for 4 days. I'm now having the gas gauge cluster wire's and unit check.

I'm responding to your discussion board because I wasn't sure if you were having the same problems.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:31 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It cost my warranty company $1900 to change out my fuel tank sending unit due to a crack that leaked out gas fumes. That was at the dealership.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer wants $1680.00 labor to change out fuel senders

Old 07-22-2015, 01:16 PM
mmscott12
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on the code that is being set, there may be a possible fix for an 'erratic fuel gauge'. I just had my 05 in for this same issue. It would have a message to 'service fuel system', and set the check engine light immediately after I would fill the gas tank. After about 25 or so miles (about a gallon of gas), the CEL would go out & the gas gauge would start working properly. The code that was being thrown in my case was P2068. I called the dealer where I purchased it from a couple months ago & the service manager let me know there is a TSB for reprogramming the ECM for this issue, but only for that particular code, and I believe P0463 was the other one it covered. They quoted me $70.00 for the re-flash. On the way to the dealer yesterday I put in a bottle of the Techron, had them re-flash and then this morning when I re-topped off the tank, no code!

May be worth a few minutes to check which code you have being thrown & a call to the dealer. If you don't have a scanner, most auto part stores are willing to read the codes for you at no cost.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:14 PM
TXredc3
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmscott12
Depending on the code that is being set, there may be a possible fix for an 'erratic fuel gauge'. I just had my 05 in for this same issue. It would have a message to 'service fuel system', and set the check engine light immediately after I would fill the gas tank. After about 25 or so miles (about a gallon of gas), the CEL would go out & the gas gauge would start working properly. The code that was being thrown in my case was P2068. I called the dealer where I purchased it from a couple months ago & the service manager let me know there is a TSB for reprogramming the ECM for this issue, but only for that particular code, and I believe P0463 was the other one it covered. They quoted me $70.00 for the re-flash. On the way to the dealer yesterday I put in a bottle of the Techron, had them re-flash and then this morning when I re-topped off the tank, no code!

May be worth a few minutes to check which code you have being thrown & a call to the dealer. If you don't have a scanner, most auto part stores are willing to read the codes for you at no cost.
I think the re-flash only works for 05's.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:16 PM
ULOSECLOWN
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel sending unit should be recalled!

I have read many complaints regarding FSU on various forums.
I just had the problem with eratic fuel gauge, serevice fuel sytem warning. Ran two bottles of techron through 2 full tanks and now engine light has gone out but does occasionally comes back on .
Dealer wants $1586 to replace.
I have a 2009 corvette 39K mi. I exclusively use Chevron 91 octane gas.
FSU SHOULD BE RECALLED. I REPORTED ON NHTSA SITE.

Quick Reply: Dealer wants $1680.00 labor to change out fuel senders