C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade In Or Sell Outright?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 06:40 AM
carsangelop
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Traded our 98 vert on a new GS a couple of years ago.Did everything by email or phone.This dealer gave me more that I ever thought I would get privately and a great price on the new car
I asked him 3 times are you sure about this deal before I drive the 50 miles to your place. His response was if your car is everything you say it is we are good to go.I knew then we had a deal our 98 had 9k on the clock and in showroom new condition
So in my case yes a trade was the best way to go
Good luck on what ever you decide
Old 07-18-2015, 08:18 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 340 Posts

As for the "trade". The ONLY way you will know what the dealer is actually giving you for your car is to make the deal on the new car and THEN, only then, introduce the "trade" to the deal. If they know that you are "trading" (or think you "might") to start you will NEVER really know what you are actually paying for the new vehicle and getting for the trade. Any seasoned sales professional (or his boss) are experts at getting the best deal for THEM. Their paycheck or job security depends on it...I've been around it for 40 years.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:09 AM
lowes48
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest problem i see is people putting their car in a higher class of value. If your vet has 50 thousand miles on it it has average book value no matter what you think. I see people all the time think there vet should book out at excellent condition this just doesn't happen. If vet has less than 10 thousand miles and zero scratches nicks or ware marks of any kind?
Old 07-18-2015, 01:17 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
As for the "trade". The ONLY way you will know what the dealer is actually giving you for your car is to make the deal on the new car and THEN, only then, introduce the "trade" to the deal. If they know that you are "trading" (or think you "might") to start you will NEVER really know what you are actually paying for the new vehicle and getting for the trade.
That's an excellent point, and it's key to getting the best deal when trading in a car to a dealer. My father absolutely hated lying of any kind, but he knew that as soon as he set foot on a dealer's lot, the dealer would ask if would be trading in his car, so my dad would say something like, "I just want to see what you have," or otherwise brush aside the question. And during the negotiation of price, at no point would he ever mention or admit that he would be trading in, always evading the question. Finally, after a price had been agreed upon, he would say, "Now come out and take a look at my car and tell me what you'll give me for it." That way, he knew exactly the price of the new car and the value of his old car as a trade, and he could decide what he wanted to do.

I've never traded in a car, as I prefer to sell them myself. But as mentioned above, it's a question of which is more important to you, money or time/hassle.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:24 AM
wera32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I trade these days because I'm afraid of getting a bogus cashiers check or some such. Most buyer don't have cash. How can I sell it myself and be protected from this?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:39 AM
CROC 6
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by unixcorn
My first question would be what's the book value for trade in vs private sale. If it's more than the tax would be on the new car cost - trade with enough left over to cover whatever hardships sellers put you through then the decision is a no-brainer. However only you can make the call on what your time is worth.
Dealers want to make money on both ends of the deal, they assume you are a "mullet", and they can beat you down, in order to get the best "gross" out of a deal. If they have the car you want, you have to outlast them and not give in to a pressure situation! For this reason I have only bought and sold my cars through Private Parties, it does take time and due diligence, but it will save you "thousands". In any transaction it comes down to "supply and demand". and the stronger "will" , will come out the winner.....!
Old 07-20-2015, 11:55 AM
vertigogo
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wera32
I trade these days because I'm afraid of getting a bogus cashiers check or some such. Most buyer don't have cash. How can I sell it myself and be protected from this?
Counterfeit cashier's checks are indeed a problem in today's world of high-quality home printers. But you can get around this by just asking the buyer to bring cash. If he balks at that, just go with him to his bank and have the bank issue you a cashier's check directly from his account, while you are sitting there watching. If the buyer's bank isn't close to you, he can wire the money from his bank to yours.

Selling a car yourself saves thousands of dollars (unless it's a very cheap car), so for me it's a no-brainer, but to each his own.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:36 PM
pure zen
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default What to do,,,

[QUOTE=vertigogo;1590089830],,,,,, you can get around this by just asking the buyer to bring cash. If he balks at that, just go with him to his bank and have the bank issue you a cashier's check directly from his account, while you are sitting there watching.

If the buyer's bank isn't close to you, he can wire the money from his bank to yours.

** Selling a car yourself saves thousands of dollars (unless it's a very cheap car), so for me it's a no-brainer, but to each his own.[/QUOTE]

I agree,,,but in Eran X. Jones' case as he describes his posted concerns ..............he should just swallow the bullet and trade.

Of course he might pay some additional dealer "add-ons" like extra tint on glass, VIN# etching, interior protection treatment, exterior paint protectant, full retail for extended warranty ,,,,and my favorite > Dealer Documentation Fee! $299 to $599 for having a $15 per hour employee typing for 15 minutes, to do the invoice paperwork, plates/registration, and taxes.
Doc Fee,,What a rip-off....
Old 07-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Amicon
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wera32
A lot of Vette buyers have cash.....These are toys for many and purchased with cash. Being retired helps sell as I have the time however I sold two Vettes privately. I had each for about eight months. Both to first Lookers. One financed, and I delivered the car 120 miles and went to their CU to get a check. Sold that for $1000 more than dealer offered.

Second 08 was sold last March to the first buyer for cash. I bought it for $33500 had it eight months and put 1600 miles on it. I put new Michelins and did all the fluids, belts and hoses, at Chevy dealer and got my asking price of $36900. I spent the money on the car to sell it and still came out ahead.

It is always worth selling your car privately, but sellers (like dealers) don't want to spend money on the car they are selling and that is a mistake.

Both my cars were BETTER than dealer offerings with the same asking prices because they needed nothing, had recent COMPLETE Servicing records, and had new tires with less than 100 miles on them. 26K and 16K miles. Both were Verts 3LT w NAV AT

You have to spend money to make money. The AT ads cost me $100.

Last edited by Amicon; 07-20-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Trade In Or Sell Outright?