C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Carpet question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 10:56 AM
vettenut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KY Events Coordinator

Default Dash Carpet question

What is the trick to installing this without any damage to the dash?
Old 07-14-2015, 01:17 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

ahhhhhhh.... 8 tracks and **** carpet.... fond memories... something the younger generation will never experience!!!
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2015, 01:54 PM
vettenut
Burning Brakes

KY Events Coordinator

Not exactly what I expected by I do remember 8 tracks and ****.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:59 PM
GASCAR
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
ahhhhhhh.... 8 tracks and **** carpet.... fond memories... something the younger generation will never experience!!!
By the looks of the background you must be in van heaven.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:02 PM
vettenut
Burning Brakes

KY Events Coordinator

WilI get a serious solution to my question?
Old 07-14-2015, 02:11 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by vettenut
Double sided tape or sticky back Velcro.
As far as damage, once it's on, you'd never permanently remove it anyway.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:23 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenut
This isn't really an answer to your question, but it's at least serious.

Why put carpet on the dash? I suppose the purpose is to protect the dash from the sun and keep it looking good, but the carpet is so ugly that it rather defeats the purpose, in my opinion. Like an ugly bra on a car.

To serve the same purpose without the ugliness, just use a good, custom-fit sun screen that folds up when not in use. It has the added benefit of keeping the interior a bit cooler in summer. When the car is parked at home, either put it in a garage or put a cover on it.

Your Corvette is too nice to suffer carpeting on its dash.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:25 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I don't want carpet on my dash but I do wish the reflection in the windshield could be diminished. Any suggestions?
Old 07-15-2015, 02:14 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by TerryL
I don't want carpet on my dash but I do wish the reflection in the windshield could be diminished. Any suggestions?
I tried a few things, but nothing worked as good as the carpet. My eyes are overly sensitive even with sunglasses and I wish I could have found a dashmat that had less reflectivity than the synthetic carpet.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:24 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by vertigogo
This isn't really an answer to your question, but it's at least serious.

Why put carpet on the dash? I suppose the purpose is to protect the dash from the sun and keep it looking good, but the carpet is so ugly that it rather defeats the purpose, in my opinion. Like an ugly bra on a car.

To serve the same purpose without the ugliness, just use a good, custom-fit sun screen that folds up when not in use. It has the added benefit of keeping the interior a bit cooler in summer. When the car is parked at home, either put it in a garage or put a cover on it.

Your Corvette is too nice to suffer carpeting on its dash.
It's not about protecting the dash or interior from sun damage. It's about protecting eyes from reflections.
My Corvette is too nice to not drive due to the reflections of the dash. Ugly is in the eyes of the beholder and I don't want mine to hurt from excessive light.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:12 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
It's not about protecting the dash or interior from sun damage. It's about protecting eyes from reflections.
My Corvette is too nice to not drive due to the reflections of the dash. Ugly is in the eyes of the beholder and I don't want mine to hurt from excessive light.
I see. Have you tried polarized lenses in your sunglasses? That should do the trick. Also, the dash may have been treated with something like Armour All in the past, so a good cleaning with the proper product might reduce the glare somewhat.

If you are determined to put in a cover, you'll have to use some kind of adhesive tape, as far as I know. I've also seen people use relatively small pieces of black felt. You don't need to cover the whole dash, and a small piece (maybe 6" x 18") would solve the glare problem, and since felt is so much lighter than the carpet products, you would need only a tiny amount of double-sided tape to hold it in place, or a couple of small tabs of male Velcro, so that you could remove the felt when you wanted to.

HTH
Old 07-15-2015, 04:30 PM
MGreg
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been a bit hesitant to show this, as it does have a bit of cheesy Elvis vibe to it. I looked at a just using a good sun shade as well, but the summer sun is intense here and I drive the car quite a bit, even though I don't park outside for long periods. I also wanted some glare reduction and started worrying about the greenhouse above the 8 year old dash. It's been installed for a little over a month and I reduced the attachment to 6 small squares of stick on velcro which can easily be removed. It's light and doesn't budge under acceleration or turning. It wasn't that expensive and I'll probably remove it in the fall.
Cheers
M
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2015, 06:30 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

I see. Have you tried polarized lenses in your sunglasses? That should do the trick. Also, the dash may have been treated with something like Armour All in the past, so a good cleaning with the proper product might reduce the glare somewhat.

If you are determined to put in a cover, you'll have to use some kind of adhesive tape, as far as I know. I've also seen people use relatively small pieces of black felt. You don't need to cover the whole dash, and a small piece (maybe 6" x 18") would solve the glare problem, and since felt is so much lighter than the carpet products, you would need only a tiny amount of double-sided tape to hold it in place, or a couple of small tabs of male Velcro, so that you could remove the felt when you wanted to.

HTH
I bought the car new and right after the 5,500 mile drive to get it home, I ordered a carpet dashmat. Polarized sunglasses don't eliminate reflections, only glare. I tried black felt and two other types of mats, but the carpet gave the best results. Since most of my driving is in the Phoenix area, which has the highest percentage of sunshine in the USA, reflections are a big concern to me.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:38 PM
vertigogo
Pro

I bought the car new and right after the 5,500 mile drive to get it home, I ordered a carpet dashmat.
Wait, you drove 5500 miles to get the car home? Is that a typo?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:08 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Wait, you drove 5500 miles to get the car home? Is that a typo?
No typo. I ordered the car through Les Stanford Chevy in Dearborn, MI, but I was unsure where I was going to be when it arrived. So seeing the dealer is only a few miles from the Detroit airport, I opted to fly in and drive it home. It worked out well, since my parents lived in Toledo and son a few miles South and I could visit them both. Then we wandered around OH, IN, KY, TN, MS, AL, GA, SC, FL, LA, TX, NM, for 30 days before getting back to AZ. We've had several road trips with the Vette and 4 have been longer than the first. It's a great road car.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:13 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,190 Likes on 2,680 Posts

No typo. I ordered the car through Les Stanford Chevy in Dearborn, MI, but I was unsure where I was going to be when it arrived. So seeing the dealer is only a few miles from the Detroit airport, I opted to fly in and drive it home. It worked out well, since my parents lived in Toledo and son a few miles South and I could visit them both. Then we wandered around OH, IN, KY, TN, MS, AL, GA, SC, FL, LA, TX, NM, for 30 days before getting back to AZ. We've had several road trips with the Vette and 4 have been longer than the first. It's a great road car.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Carpet question

Quick Reply: Dash Carpet question