C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Fluid level

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 04:34 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default A6 Fluid level

Does anyone have information on how to check the fluid level in an 08 C6 with an automatic transmission, Z51 if that matters?
Old 07-04-2015, 05:03 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
Does anyone have information on how to check the fluid level in an 08 C6 with an automatic transmission, Z51 if that matters?
ok but it isn't nice or easy.
first the car must be level, warmed to oerating temp (trans)then you pull the drain plug if fluid comes out youur ok.
it needs to be over full a bit then you drain till it just stops coming out!
the drain is actually a stand pipe at the corrrect depth so when it stops running over it is right.
the nast part is getting under it while it is running. a lift sure helps.
to drain it you have to remove the pan and two of the bolts (rear drivers side) are above the cradle so you need to loosen the trans mounts and jack the trans a bit to get them out and to replace them
Old 07-04-2015, 05:12 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

thanx for the reply I'm just looking to make sure I have enough fluid in it. I'm getting a high pitched whirl type of sound coming from the rear of the car, almost every day but not all the time.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:27 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

How could it be low if there's no evidence of a leak underneath?
Old 07-04-2015, 06:47 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
the amswer is that it probably isn't however the factory fill has been known to be off & leakes do happen into the radiator, so no visable external leaks
Old 07-04-2015, 10:05 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by TerryL
when is the last time you looked under my car?
Old 07-04-2015, 10:23 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,108 Likes on 708 Posts

Excellent!

Old 07-04-2015, 11:01 PM
Bill Soda
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
ok but it isn't nice or easy.
first the car must be level, warmed to oerating temp (trans)then you pull the drain plug if fluid comes out youur ok.
it needs to be over full a bit then you drain till it just stops coming out!
the drain is actually a stand pipe at the corrrect depth so when it stops running over it is right.
the nast part is getting under it while it is running. a lift sure helps.
to drain it you have to remove the pan and two of the bolts (rear drivers side) are above the cradle so you need to loosen the trans mounts and jack the trans a bit to get them out and to replace them
I fully agree with everything you said except "jack the trans". I really don't get it. I dropped the pan and changed the filter without jacking anything. (07-Z51) Remove the difficult to access bolts firsts and install them LAST. All work done in accordance with the maintenance manual procedure. After the easy bolts are torqued, you can pretty well guess on the difficult ones. Not a hard job, just messy. Personally, I overfilled a little so when fluid level was set to the operating temperature, I wouldn't have to go in to add more fluid.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:58 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

You said nothing about any evidence of a leak.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:13 AM
07c6vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Soda
I fully agree with everything you said except "jack the trans". I really don't get it. I dropped the pan and changed the filter without jacking anything. (07-Z51) Remove the difficult to access bolts firsts and install them LAST. All work done in accordance with the maintenance manual procedure. After the easy bolts are torqued, you can pretty well guess on the difficult ones. Not a hard job, just messy. Personally, I overfilled a little so when fluid level was set to the operating temperature, I wouldn't have to go in to add more fluid.
Brian, thanks again for the help in changing the fluid on the auto trans on your twin C6 :-). Mahalo to you.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:03 AM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

if you're getting a whine I would think more rear end then the tranny..
Old 03-03-2016, 01:18 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Be aware that the "warm to operating temperature" is specifically to be between 86 and 122 degrees. Any more or any less will result in an incorrect fill.

I've lost count on how many times I've done this, but my easiest method is to add more than I think it needs initially. Then start the car and run until the temp is close to 100. Shift to each selection R, N, D, S, D, N, R, and back to P, while stopping for 3-5 seconds in each location. By then the temps should be close to 104 (the happy medium) and it's time to pull the plug and drain the excess.

If you have a high stall converter, you need to add between 1 and 1.5 quarts after going through the above procedure.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:11 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Be aware that the "warm to operating temperature" is specifically to be between 86 and 122 degrees. Any more or any less will result in an incorrect fill.

I've lost count on how many times I've done this, but my easiest method is to add more than I think it needs initially. Then start the car and run until the temp is close to 100. Shift to each selection R, N, D, S, D, N, R, and back to P, while stopping for 3-5 seconds in each location. By then the temps should be close to 104 (the happy medium) and it's time to pull the plug and drain the excess.

If you have a high stall converter, you need to add between 1 and 1.5 quarts after going through the above procedure.
I recall seeing a warning somewhere that you should not shut down with the plug removed, or trans fluid will overflow out the hole. In other words, the A6 "hides" fluid while running.

Is there enough contraction when the fluid is cold, to allow your desired slight overfill with the engine shut down?
Or is the warning incorrect?
Old 03-04-2016, 01:36 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I recall seeing a warning somewhere that you should not shut down with the plug removed, or trans fluid will overflow out the hole. In other words, the A6 "hides" fluid while running.

Is there enough contraction when the fluid is cold, to allow your desired slight overfill with the engine shut down?
I've filled and overfilled on a cold trans not running with no issue.
I pulled the fill plug when hot and not running one time many years ago when a shop overfilled by more than 2 quarts and had about a quart overflow on my driveway and still siphoned out 2 quarts.
I've never shut down with the plug out either hot or cold, but with the previous experiences, I assume an overflow would be possible.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:52 AM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Wow! Amazing! Once again the designers at Chevrolet have taken what was a simple issue of checking the ATF level in your tranny and turned it into a major mechanical exercise. My 47 year old Mustang has a dip stick that allows this check to take place and also allows the owner to add as necessary. What a quaint and funny idea, huh?
Old 03-04-2016, 02:25 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
Wow! Amazing! Once again the designers at Chevrolet have taken what was a simple issue of checking the ATF level in your tranny and turned it into a major mechanical exercise. My 47 year old Mustang has a dip stick that allows this check to take place and also allows the owner to add as necessary. What a quaint and funny idea, huh?
If I recall...LOL....a 47 year old rustang would have a dip stick for the tranny under the hood. If GM would have put a tranny dip stick on a C-6 it would have made for one long thing-a-ma-jiggy....

Get notified of new replies

To A6 Fluid level

Old 03-04-2016, 02:30 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
With the trans in the back, a dipstick is difficult to do. Even bringing it up above the trans to the interior somewhere would be difficult with the trans moving sideways on acceleration and deceleration.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:53 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

Yes, it definitely will start pouring out the back if you shut the car down with the plug out.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:40 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Soda
I 100% disagree with this.
There are four pan bolts which are impossible to remove and replace without jacking the transmission out of the cradle.
Not to mention time consuming trying to fish those bolts back into their holes.

You can Go to minute 8 to see what we are discussing here:

Quick Reply: A6 Fluid level