C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 GS vert question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Gooner
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 GS vert question

Hello I just bought this car and love it! I do though have 2 rectangular clear plastic pieces on the top door that's behind the seats when the top is down. They are on the humps(1 on each) and are maybe 4"x8". It looks like they would peel off. It's like thick tape. Not sure how else to describe them. Did these come from the factory? If anyone knows what they are Can I remove them? I don't have a pic of them but can post one tomorrow if needed. Not sure if they serve a purpose. Thx.

Dave
Old 06-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooner
Hello I just bought this car and love it! I do though have 2 rectangular clear plastic pieces on the top door that's behind the seats when the top is down. They are on the humps(1 on each) and are maybe 4"x8". It looks like they would peel off. It's like thick tape. Not sure how else to describe them. Did these come from the factory? If anyone knows what they are Can I remove them? I don't have a pic of them but can post one tomorrow if needed. Not sure if they serve a purpose. Thx.

Dave
If I understand correctly from what you are describing, sounds to me someone put them there to protect the top of the hump from the top as it goes up and down...
Old 06-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Ettev01
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I belived they are factory and are used to protect the area where the top soft material can rub when the windows are down and top up.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:17 AM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Ettev01
I belived they are factory and are used to protect the area where the top soft material can rub when the windows are down and top up.
My new 2013 white GS vert has the two body color matching strips you describe. They're factory installed.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:37 PM
blaskojo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes my 2013 AW GS vert has them colour matched as well. Dealer said they were factory installed to stop the top from scratching. The strips do tend to get dirty/dusty and require extra cleaning.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:02 PM
scnhra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 GS Vert White with 4LT. The strips are either factory in later production or added to early production. They protect the fabric that touches the humps from marking them. Mine did not have them and made brownish marks on the white paint. Be glad you have them and do not remove them.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:03 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

This is the first I have heard of these band-aids Gooner, you say yours are clear. Others say body color.
If they are body color, this photo of my '12 shows what they are hiding.
Evidently, the convertible tops were installed before the paint was fully cured causing the dye in the fabric hem of the anti glare screen to bleed into the paint. The stain marks are permanent.
When I bought mine new the salesman said "they all have that".
It really doesn't bother me, but I guess there were enough complaints, something cheaper than a repaint had to be done.
If yours are clear, that would indicate a preventative measure rather than a makeshift fix. Remove them? Your call.
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2015, 10:29 PM
Gooner
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm out of town now so can't take a pic but glad I'm not the only one. I'm not totally sure they are clear. My car is white also. I just assumed they were clear. Does the top rub in that area when operated? They just look kind of crappy IMHO. It looks as if they would peel off easily but not sure. Btw - mine is also a 2012 so it must've been somewhere in that year production run.

Last edited by Gooner; 06-30-2015 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 07-01-2015, 10:15 AM
richsteele
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fabric anti-glare panel will rub black lines in the tonneau when the top is down. There's a TSB for the issue so it looks like it was completed on your car.

The TSB (which is for all 2005-2013 convertibles) number is:

"13-08-51-001 - Dark Stains on Tonneau Lid Outlining Convertible"

It includes the "F-Tape" (Part number 23117964) which are the clear strips the dealer will apply after they buff out the lines.

Some dealerships were pro-active and did the TSB to cars on their lot; most just blew it off.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:50 PM
catnaround
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

for the love of mike, i couldn't figure out where those lines came from, you say that they will buff out, guess my 2012 gs didn't get those plastic strips, thought they were factory defect,
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To 2012 GS vert question

Quick Reply: 2012 GS vert question