C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone daily drive or own another car other than the 'Vette? Hows the reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:19 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

DD is a 2013 Dodge Charger R/T "Daytona Edition"............Daytona Blue Pearl #1976/3000. My better half drives a 2012 Jeep Liberty "Jet Edition".

The Vette is an ongoing project that never gets any road time. LOL!

Last edited by Speedforhire; 06-29-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:53 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Several cars in the fold. I commute in a 2009 Altima hybrid which now has 108,xxx miles on it. Reliable except for the two wheel bearings and the TMPS system failing five times. Now the light just stays on. Not fixing it yet again. Still, way more fun to drive than any other hybrid, light years better dynamics than a Prius. Never sold my 95 Probe GT and still is almost showroom condition. Also have a 02 Buick Century with a heavily modded suspension - 120K on it and only the infamous Dex death gasket failure. And last, my station car, a 92 Mercury Sable that is reliable as sunrise.

As you can see, we keep our cars far longer than most, so I tend to laugh at the "reliability experts" that dump their cars in 9 years. My instinct is that the C7 is going to be less reliable than I am used to, but still have not had any problems to date. Just a gut feeling.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 477 Likes on 309 Posts

Actually my 08 is my DD as I am retired but it still gets the miles put on 10k in 8 months only replaced a TPMS and routine things, For the family car we have 08 Suburban LTZ, basically trouble free considering it has 169k miles, replaced the right front hub bearing at 150k, 1 TPMS sensor quit and a sensor at the gas tank is not working, but its still drives great and the engine is strong don't need to add oil between changes at 5k miles,
Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 PM
PHIL MEMPHIS
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Wife has 2013 Beetle Fender Edition. We love this car and drive it all the time.
We also have 2011 Lincoln MKX and it is great as well.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:10 AM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 177 Posts

2008 Nissan Titan
96,XXX miles

Issues:
4x4 diff output shaft seal leaked - replaced under warranty
Radiator plastic reservoir cracked and leaked coolant @ 45,XXX miles - changed to all aluminum CSF radiator
Backup sensors pretty much quit working - haven't bothered to look into it
Serpentine belt squeaked - changed belt

Other then that, no other issues. Not to bad with having to endure Las Vegas summers to ND's winters parked outside and towing a bass boat with regularity.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:03 AM
Munchen100
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently own a 2007 BMW 335i which is a joy to drive, BUT has had it's maintenance issues. I was going to trade it in on a a BMW four series until I drove one. They really have dumbed them down AND the dealership low balled me on the trade even though the car is in mint condition with only 72K.

So, I'm keeping the BMW for trips to the grocery, Wal Mart, etc. and getting a new Corvette for fun and it's stunning looks.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:22 AM
GNasty1560
Navigator

Default Of course-had to buy another car

I thought I could use my 06 as daily driver...no way in hell.
Less than a week I noticed harmonic dampner wobble. The Dealership did not warranty that charged me $1k. They did warranty a leaky rear axle. Later on the driver door handle did not work-I fixed that myself then the ac would leak into passengerside floor board from drain line clogging.
I could go on and on however the oil pump failed and towed the car into my moms driveway. I live in a condo where they dont allow cars to sit or be worked on so I had to get another car.
Long story short I bought a used miata that died a week later like a 2001 or so. Fun to drive but leaked oil and left me stranded at work so I had to get a yellow cab...$100 trip back to my place.
I got fed up and got a 2015 corolla w 3 miles on it with the miata as a trade-in. I lost over $1k on that deal (1 week)
The corolla is THE BEST CAR IVE EVER OWNED.
The vette sat at my moms for 6 months or so while I got the weekends to work on it.
Today I pushed the button-damn thing started right up. Sounds good w Melling hi vol/pressure pump and NASCAR suction tube.
Moral of this story--One MUST have another car if you own a C6.
Im putting the vette up for sale asap
It is a fun fast pos. I'll never buy GM again
later brothaz

Last edited by GNasty1560; 06-30-2015 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:39 AM
let er eat
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I dd a 2007 impala ss...5.3 v8 with the c5z06 heads factory...it's a fun little car. I used to dd a 2004 silvy duramax...252k miles and it was only interested in oil and fuel.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:26 AM
Dtronic
Intermediate

Had a 2012 Prius for over 1 year 15k miles. No problems, except slow.

Traded it for my 2013 corvette. My only car.

Had a Lexus 2002 430 SC and 2005 430 LS, just routine maintenance.

2007 BMW 328i. Expensive maintenance and warranty repairs. Radio led was going out when I traded it. 1K to replace.

2013 Scion FRS. Had for 1.5 years. Free maintenence, nothng else.

Toyota or Lexus are great for minimal driving $$$. Even Lexus dealership costs are very low.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Luke's Papa
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have older cars. Wife drives a 98 BMW 528i with 130,000 milesand we have an 07 Denali with just over 100,000. Both are fairly bullet proof. I haven't done anything to the Denali outside of oil and brakes, same for 528. I have a 2005 Vette with 77,000 miles that i wouldn't hesitate to drive daily in spring, summer, and a liittle in fall as we get snow. BMW gives a lot of bang for the buck and even a 5 year old one is cheap money.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:20 AM
sullie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited, 5-speed manual transmission, turbo, leather, sunroof, etc. I bought it new in February 2006. I wanted a fast wagon with a manual transmission and this pretty much fit the bill. I wanted not too big but not too small. . . juuuust riiiight.

So far I've put 120k miles on it. I've replaced a couple of bulbs in it, I upgraded the oem stereo with an updated oem stereo from a newer Subaru Legacy GT so I could get an aux port and play mp3's. The oem shifter was long and rubbery so I replaced it with the short throw shifter from the Subaru WRX STi. The only unscheduled thing I've had it in for was a torn accessory belt that happened at around 85k miles. The rest of the belts and hoses are still original as is the turbo, motor, etc. Oh and I replaced the clutch because the throw out bearing started seizing at around 100k miles and while the mechanic was in there I had him replace the clutch plate, just because. He said it didn't have that much wear and that the new one would probably be good for another 200k pretty easily.

On the negative side, it drinks premium only (b/c of the turbo) and only gets around 24 mpg in the Summer, in the Winter it's closer to 22 mpg. The automatic climate control is seemingly always blasting air either hot or cold so I'm constantly fiddling with it. On my wife's Honda Accord, for example, it seems to automatically adjust perfectly. The back seat is tight on leg room. The paint the hood chips easily. It eats tires as I'm on my 4th set. . .aggressive driving may have something to do with that too.

On the plus side, it is pretty quick w/250hp, I love the gigantic sunroof, leather has held up really well and I can slide under it and do an oil change in 20 minutes, very easy to work on that way. Also, it can haul a TON of crap in the cargo area, it's amazing actually how much junk I've hauled to and from the house. Overall it's held up very well and I really have enjoyed owning it.

The downside of it is Subaru doesn't make a fun Outback anymore, they don't make a hatchback WRX any more, they don't make a fun Forrester any more and come to think of it, if I were ever replace it, it would have to be with either a WRX or STi which is good and bad. Both fun cars but both lack the cargo capacity of a wagon which is a bummer.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 244 Posts

My wife and I daily drive a pair of Kia Soul's. Talk about a contrast when compared with the Vette! However, we love them. Lot's of interior room for such a small package, and so easy to get in and out of and maneuver in traffic. Comfortable too. Power is a bit anemic but adequate for routine driving. Just don't expect to set any speed records. Have had no mx issues with either one.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:20 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Wife daily drives a 2013 Chevy Volt. We bought it in March with 26k on it and have right around 32k on it now. Can't say enough good things about it, without a doubt the best car we have owned. Our best was 10 weeks and 2453 miles on a single tank of gas, wife drives 27 miles round trip for work so that's done on all electric and we have a 240v charging station in the garage for quick top offs. Oil changes every 2 years and brake pads last over 80k miles due to regen.

We are thinking about picking up a second Volt as a 3rd vehicle.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SK360; 07-01-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:30 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 284 Posts

I currently have a 2013 Honda Accord Coupe, V6, manual. It's an excellent car. Faster than you'd think it would be, and handles great. It's only got 18,000 miles on it, so, too soon to mention reliability. Although, the shifter rattles, and the clutch pedal makes a clicking noise. Of course, the dealer tells me that those are normal (BS!). One of the reasons I bought the car was for Honda's legendary manual transmissions....which turn out not to be so legendary.

Before that, I had a 2004 Mazda 6, V6, manual. The worst car I've ever owned....nothing but nagging problems once it got over 80k miles. And pieces in the interior kept breaking.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:41 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 150 Posts

My 09 Vette is now my DD. When I bought it my DD was a 2000 Camaro Z28 that I bought new. That car had 141K miles on it and had never seen the inside of a Chevrolet dealer's service facility. Regular oil changes with Mobil 1. I did replace a driver's side window motor and had to re-solder the BCM circuit board because the radio and windows became intermittent. Otherwise, 141K miles of good driving experiences and it still looked damn good when the kid I sold it to drove off in it. I worked for a subsidiary of Ford Motor Company for about 12 years way back in the 70s. I had an executive lease car privilege for the last five years I worked there. I got a new car of my choice every year. Aside from my own propensity to hit things with them, I never had warranty problems with those cars either. New car buyers are frequently way too fussy. Refer to the story of the Princess and the pea.

Hey, wait a minute! I'm trying to sell a 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV sedan. This is a great car, but I bought it for my late wife and now I just don't like to drive it because of the memories involved. It's a V6 in Super Black with a Katzkin beige leather interior and navi. I also added a burled wood kit and Nissan Teana (Japanese Altima) LED daytime running lights. Made it perfect for her. Car only has 9,7xx miles on it. I really like the car but I just don't need it, or the memories, anymore.
Name:  100_2960.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  1.32 MB

Last edited by RagTop69; 06-30-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:51 PM
jhawk127
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

DD is split between my Vette and Maxima:

04 Maxima. 175K miles without any issues. Just recently started needing to add some oil between changes (<1 qt/3K mi.). Finally replaced the spark plugs for the first time about a week ago. Otherwise, basically no maintenance (other than oil, tires, brakes & rotors, coolant). Second Maxima I've owned, and think they are a real all around value.

Love my 07 base coupe, but see that there'll be more work involved. Not gonna stop me from daily driving it. 40K miles now. Will add about more 15K per year.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:13 PM
Flying Low
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2013 Grand Sport, every day for two years, seems bullet proof. Still fun after all that time.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone daily drive or own another car other than the 'Vette? Hows the reliability?

Old 06-30-2015, 03:16 PM
EBZ0Sick
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GNasty1560
It is a fun fast pos
My wife says the SAME thing, to both me AND her father, who has a C5 parked in his garage. Her mom's mint Caddy has to park in the driveway

She's right to a certain degree....but the corvette was my dream car growing up, and it has a pull on me internally. All she sees is a maintenance pit that needs to go once the warranty is up. She may be right in that, too-we'll see.

Ragtop69, Sorry to hear of your loss. Just brutal. I hope the car sells quickly, and that you find peace friend.

I find it really, really cool that everyones tastes here span the ENTIRE car landscape when the car that brought us together here (corvette) isnt involved. Very interesting reading everyones "daily driver" choices and what they had to deal with maintenance wise and how much they love or dislike them.

Test drove an IS-F just to see how I liked it, and it was ok. Beautiful car inside and out, but it reminded me alot of the IS I already own. Definitely going a different route this time.

Again, thank you ALL for your valuable input!
Old 06-30-2015, 03:28 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

2014 Ford Fusion. it has that eco-boost and for a 4 cylinder car it goes like a rocket ship. I get 24 mpg and about 35 on the hwy. Its comfortable and fun to drive. The only bad thing is it aint great in cold weather. I think AWD would cure that. I did have the opportunity to drive a 2014 Kia and it had better mileage per gallon was slightly faster but was made like <*&% .

Clif
Old 06-30-2015, 03:53 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

1980 280 SL --- 4 speed manual in-line 6 dual overhead cam engine , redlines at 6500. I have owned it for 30 years and put about 190,000 miles on it .. it has 220,000. All original except for a water pump, 2 shocks, - motor and drive drain have never been touched since it left the factory, same clutch and exhaust.

I have replaced several sets of tires and brake pads, shifter boot, and pedal rubber pads, a couple of batteries,

so yes -- quite a reliable car.. guess that is why I still have it..

also have a 2005 X5 4.4 V8 BMW --- been great -- except for a transmission pan gasket leak. 93,000 miles. still original rear brake pads, did buy new tires a couple of years ago.
Attached Images  

Last edited by C6 Snowboarder; 06-30-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone daily drive or own another car other than the 'Vette? Hows the reliability?