C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded seats increase or decrease value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:52 AM
kerflumper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded seats increase or decrease value?

I have a 2011 base 3LT. I put in 100% leather seat skins with the 2012 foam. A super improvement over the stock seats. I'm considering selling and I'm wondering if the seats add or reduce value. Forgetting the purist angle, is it reasonable to ask (and expect) a bit more with the updated seats? If so, how much of the $2,000 cost can I expect to reclaim? I didn't put them in with the intention of increasing value, but I don't want to sell short.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:59 AM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 902 Likes on 585 Posts

Pure guess, I'd say $300 to $500.

Try to put yourself on the other side of the deal. You're looking at a car and the owner informs you that he installed $2k worth of seating upgrades. What would you be willing to pay?
Old 06-25-2015, 09:07 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say, neither decrease or increase. You could use the 'upgrade' as a selling point that might help it sell quicker. But I'd bet no one would even know you upgraded the seats unless you told them.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:08 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by designerRob
I'd say, neither decrease or increase. You could use the 'upgrade' as a selling point that might help it sell quicker. But I'd bet no one would even know you upgraded the seats unless you told them.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:40 AM
DADNKID
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give you $500 for them and then you wont have to worry about it. lol
Old 06-25-2015, 11:53 AM
LS3Knight
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kerflumper
I have a 2011 base 3LT. I put in 100% leather seat skins with the 2012 foam. A super improvement over the stock seats. I'm considering selling and I'm wondering if the seats add or reduce value. Forgetting the purist angle, is it reasonable to ask (and expect) a bit more with the updated seats? If so, how much of the $2,000 cost can I expect to reclaim? I didn't put them in with the intention of increasing value, but I don't want to sell short.
Depends. If you are trading it in at a dealer, you probably will lose out on any mods you do. If you sell privately, you will have a chance at recovering some of the cost, but you will need the right buyer. Best bet would probably be to offer a price with and without the seat upgrade, and then sell seats separately if someone buys the car without it.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:40 PM
fevest
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

basically any change will decrease value, except to someone interested in the change. It is only original once.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:10 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It may be an upgrade to you, but finding another person who agrees with your opinion will be difficult. The OEM seats were only perfect for a reasonable percentage of original buyers. The rest either spent $$ to make them personal or settled for what existed.

When selling, until you get a strong feel about the potential buyer's desires, you might choose to say nothing about the seats.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:12 PM
EVRGRN
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 201 Posts

Are these the Leatherseats.com upgrades? You also didn't mention the leather and stitching color. If you stayed conservative with the colors and didn't personalize, there's no way it would decrease the value as they are a very nice upgrade over stock. The more information you provide to the potential buyer (material improvements, cost etc.), the better your chances of recouping some of the cost.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:11 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by designerRob
I specifically zeroed in on the Vette I ended up with because of all the extras. It was a better value in my mind than a stock Corvette because I would have wanted to add the items down the road anyway.

Buyers are all over the board when it comes to what they want.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:48 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rusty1
I specifically zeroed in on the Vette I ended up with because of all the extras. It was a better value in my mind than a stock Corvette because I would have wanted to add the items down the road anyway.

Buyers are all over the board when it comes to what they want.
Rusty, I don't think that is what the folks are saying. What they mean, I believe, is that you will not get the $$ back that you spent on modifications when it comes time to sell...not even close. You bought a car that had all the mods you wanted, as do many of us. But I will bet you a cup of coffee that you did not pay the seller for the cost of the mods above the market price of the car....not even close. If someone spends $10,000 modifying a Corvette, drives it a couple years, then wants to sell it, they might be lucky to get $1,000 more than they would have gotten with no mods. In fact, they might have to hang onto the car a long time to find a buyer who wants those particular mods.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:17 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 150 Posts

I can't say on a Corvette, but I have experience with upgraded interiors. I bought a 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV sedan. When I bought the car they couldn't find an SL with navigation, with the factory leather, so I settled for the fabric seating. Later I saw an SV that had been retrofitted with a Katzkin leather interior at the dealership. I asked them and they finally agreed to put the same interior in my car for $1,200. The car is Super Black with the beige leather interior. You can't tell it from the factory leather. I'm trying to sell the car now and nobody gives a rats butt about the upgraded interior, so I'll just guess "no impact" unless you chose yellow leather with purple stitching. BTW, my recollection of showing my 69 427 Coupe in C3 stock class tells me that you might have spoiled the car for showing as a stock Corvette at some future date. NCRS tolerates no deviations from bone stock.

Last edited by RagTop69; 06-25-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:45 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Rusty, I don't think that is what the folks are saying. What they mean, I believe, is that you will not get the $$ back that you spent on modifications when it comes time to sell...not even close. You bought a car that had all the mods you wanted, as do many of us. But I will bet you a cup of coffee that you did not pay the seller for the cost of the mods above the market price of the car....not even close. If someone spends $10,000 modifying a Corvette, drives it a couple years, then wants to sell it, they might be lucky to get $1,000 more than they would have gotten with no mods. In fact, they might have to hang onto the car a long time to find a buyer who wants those particular mods.

Yes I gathered that and agreed. I guess my example was not very clear. You are correct with my purchase. I probably paid about 1500.00 more than one that was stock but after researching all the extras on the car, I figured the seller spent a minimum of 10k on the changes. It was those extras on the car that sealed the deal for me. Well that and the super low miles!
Old 06-26-2015, 12:33 AM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

IMO, no loss / no gain.
It is not a selling point, whatsoever. No one will pay more or less for this mod. Again, IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To Upgraded seats increase or decrease value?

Quick Reply: Upgraded seats increase or decrease value?