C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing a Vette from Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 01:02 AM
sdspeed
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Importing a Vette from Canada?

Has anyone purchased a car in Canada and brought it into the lower 48? I'm in SoCal and found a beautiful 2006 ZO6. Excellent deal etc.
From what i've read it sounds like a nightmare to attempt to bring it into the states. Please someone tell me I'm wrong!

thanks!

Last edited by sdspeed; 06-23-2015 at 03:28 AM. Reason: year correction
Old 06-23-2015, 01:58 AM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by sdspeed
Has anyone purchased a car in Canada and brought it into the lower 48? I'm in SoCal and found a beautiful 2005 ZO6. Excellent deal etc.
From what i've read it sounds like a nightmare to attempt to bring it into the states. Please someone tell me I'm wrong!

thanks!
I don't know about this great deal but the Z06 didn't come out till 2006!
2005 production numbers - http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/.../2005prod.html
Old 06-23-2015, 02:07 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,029 Likes on 2,183 Posts

2005 vet, the top option car was the Z51 option package with 2SB interior option. On top of that for added options, would be the Nav radio, and even a 6 disc player in the back hatch.

I would suggest that you have the seller take a photo of the sticker in on the back of the glove box lid and send it to you, and start checking options. If nothing else, this will prove proof of life, or if you are being scammed or no; since as stated, the C6 Z06 cars where not produced until 2006.

Also, since the car is being imported back in the states. with a end point of CA, have him take a photo of the Emission compliment sticker on the car as well.

Being that you are in CA, the car needs to have the YF5 CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS sticker, or you will have your work cut out to get it CA compliments instead to get plates on it.

Best guess, the car will have just a FE9 FEDERAL EMISSIONS sticker on it instead.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1569446937

Bluntly with you living in CA, what you need to find is are YF5 CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS cars to begin with, then you can start to weed through the list in regarding options packages after that.

Last edited by Dano523; 06-23-2015 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:23 AM
Augie 79
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I live in Palmdae CA and just bought a C6 from Kentucky last month. You shouldn't have any trouble other than standing in line at the DMV. It's actually easier if you buy from a private party, then you can do it all at a AAA. For some reason if you buy from a dealer you have to go to the DMV. That's the boat I was in. It took me two visits and over 5 hours of waiting. You can make an appointment and save a little time.
As long as the car has over 7,500 miles and is un-moded you won't have any trouble getting tags.
augie
Old 06-23-2015, 09:47 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
2005 vet, the top option car was the Z51 option package with 2SB interior option. On top of that for added options, would be the Nav radio, and even a 6 disc player in the back hatch.

I would suggest that you have the seller take a photo of the sticker in on the back of the glove box lid and send it to you, and start checking options. If nothing else, this will prove proof of life, or if you are being scammed or no; since as stated, the C6 Z06 cars where not produced until 2006.

Also, since the car is being imported back in the states. with a end point of CA, have him take a photo of the Emission compliment sticker on the car as well.

Being that you are in CA, the car needs to have the YF5 CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS sticker, or you will have your work cut out to get it CA compliments instead to get plates on it.

Best guess, the car will have just a FE9 FEDERAL EMISSIONS sticker on it instead.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1569446937

Bluntly with you living in CA, what you need to find is are YF5 CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS cars to begin with, then you can start to weed through the list in regarding options packages after that.
If the car has more than 7500 miles on it, YF5 is irrelevant. Just has to pass CA smog test.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:43 PM
sdspeed
Racer

Originally Posted by Augie 79
I live in Palmdae CA and just bought a C6 from Kentucky last month. You shouldn't have any trouble other than standing in line at the DMV. It's actually easier if you buy from a private party, then you can do it all at a AAA. For some reason if you buy from a dealer you have to go to the DMV. That's the boat I was in. It took me two visits and over 5 hours of waiting. You can make an appointment and save a little time.
As long as the car has over 7,500 miles and is un-moded you won't have any trouble getting tags.
augie
I bought my last one in Tennesee without any problems but it was a 2001 and GM was still building 48 state cars so the CA. Emissions sticker had to be there and it was The current Z06 I'm looking at is with a private party in Vancover Canada. It has just over 18k miles on it and is a 2006. I thought that by 2006 all of them were emision compliant for all 50 states. I read on variuos sites concerning buying in Canada and bringing it back there are Custon fees which seem to be 2.2% of the purchase price plus paperwork and border inspection. The one thing I've seen mentioned more than once is a formal letter has to be provided to Customs by the "Exporter" (me) referencing the car by Make,Model and VIN directly from Chevrolet saying it was built to meet ALL USA standards. Who on eaarth would you contact at GM and how long would it take to get that type of letter?
I wouldn't keep pursuing this but this isn't the first one that was both an exceptional car but also for an exceptional price!
Old 06-23-2015, 04:34 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The DMV in California is great, the people are friendly and helpful....
Old 06-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Thauglor
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From reading trouble on old range rovers being imported into the country, there was something of a law that states cars had to be 25 years old to be imported into the country. Look into that and see if it applies to Canada.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:47 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,330 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Since the NAFTA free trade agreement between Canada and the USA, either country can import a used vehicle into each other's country.
I imported a 2006 back in 2009 from the US into Canada, and I'm pretty sure the same holds true the other way as well.
You have to get the paperwork(title, VIN#, proof of sale) 72 hours to the Canadian border at which your crossing at, prior to crossing the car over to the US side.
It's simple really. I faxed a copy of the necessary documents, and produced the actual documents on the US side, prior to crossing over to the Canadian border. I had to pay the federal tax at the Canadian border, and fill out a few import forms, and I was good to go.

I'm sure if you google importing vehicle from Canada into the US, you will get all the required info.
http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-.../#.VYnie01FDcs
BTW, there were 6,272 Z06's produced in 2006. You will save at least 20% just on the $$ exchange. The US dollar is worth $1.20 in Canadian dollars.

Good Luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 06-23-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:03 PM
sdspeed
Racer

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Since the NAFTA free trade agreement between Canada and the USA, either country can import a used vehicle into each other's country.
I imported a 2006 back in 2009 from the US into Canada, and I'm pretty sure the same holds true the other way as well.
You have to get the paperwork(title, VIN#, proof of sale) 72 hours to the Canadian border at which your crossing at, prior to crossing the car over to the US side.
It's simple really. I faxed a copy of the necessary documents, and produced the actual documents on the US side, prior to crossing over to the Canadian border. I had to pay the federal tax at the Canadian border, and fill out a few import forms, and I was good to go.

I'm sure if you google importing vehicle from Canada into the US, you will get all the required info.
http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-.../#.VYnie01FDcs
BTW, there were 6,272 Z06's produced in 2006. You will save at least 20% just on the $$ exchange. The US dollar is worth $1.20 in Canadian dollars.

Good Luck
Thanks for the website, one stop shop that helps a lot. Just still wonder who at Chevrolet I'd write to for a letter considering one specific vehicle. My local dealer pretty much didn't know weather to laugh or cry when i ask who to get such a letter from
Old 06-25-2015, 10:14 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,330 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Thanks for the website, one stop shop that helps a lot. Just still wonder who at Chevrolet I'd write to for a letter considering one specific vehicle. My local dealer pretty much didn't know weather to laugh or cry when i ask who to get such a letter from
I know that I had to get a letter from GM stating that there were no outstanding recalls on the car. It was part of the import laws that I had to abide by.
I got the letter from the US dealer I bought it from, no issues as long as it had a GM Dealer letterhead.
I'm not sure if that is needed to import from Canada to the US, but I'm guessing yes as well.
If it's a private sale, you can get a letter from GM USA, but they will charge you a fee for that. Dealers will not in most cases.
It's simply a GMVIS document showing that there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle.
I'm sure a Dealer, will get you that document based on the VIN #
There are a few vendors on this forum that can also get you the GMVIS, and maybe even send it with a GM letterhead.

Good Luck
Old 06-25-2015, 11:03 PM
sdspeed
Racer

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I know that I had to get a letter from GM stating that there were no outstanding recalls on the car. It was part of the import laws that I had to abide by.
I got the letter from the US dealer I bought it from, no issues as long as it had a GM Dealer letterhead.
I'm not sure if that is needed to import from Canada to the US, but I'm guessing yes as well.
If it's a private sale, you can get a letter from GM USA, but they will charge you a fee for that. Dealers will not in most cases.
It's simply a GMVIS document showing that there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle.
I'm sure a Dealer, will get you that document based on the VIN #
There are a few vendors on this forum that can also get you the GMVIS, and maybe even send it with a GM letterhead.

Good Luck
Thanks again,
Well i lost out onthe ZO6 I was looing at but There's more in Canada worth considering. I did get a phone number to get an official letter from GM via NTHSI website. I have to provide a vin so have to find a car first but the currency difference looks to be in my favor!
Old 06-26-2015, 04:12 PM
sdspeed
Racer

Thanks again,
Well i lost out onthe ZO6 I was looing at but There's more in Canada worth considering. I did get a phone number to get an official letter from GM via NTHSI website. I have to provide a vin so have to find a car first but the currency difference looks to be in my favor!
Well I contacted a canadian export company who supplies all the documents and then once you return them they handle it with Customs. Pick-up the car at the border and have to drive it across as a personal car( which it would be since I'm not a dealer)

Their fee's plus those required for export by the canadian gov. for a $28k ,2006 car came to $670.00. I thought that seemed pretty fair since only $300 went to them for paper work, inspection and under-carriage cleaning delivered to the Customs check point on the border.
So If i see another one I like and the exchange rate stays in my favor, now I'll know what to do
Old 06-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

I think it is pretty straight forward. Compliance Certificate from GM. Recalls done and you should be good to go. C5's have mph to metric switch I assume C6's would as well.

Sorry you lost out on your deal, lots of nice cars for sale these days. Zr1's Z06 and so on.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Importing a Vette from Canada?

Quick Reply: Importing a Vette from Canada?