C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rubber cleaning and maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 11:10 PM
FirstTimer Pops
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rubber cleaning and maintenance

So, what do folks use to clean the rubber seals around windows, the removable top, the rear hatch, etc? I'm sure the summer sun deteriorates them quickly without proper care. Thanks for the advice...

Pops
Old 06-11-2015, 01:38 AM
kevmcrae
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstTimer Pops
So, what do folks use to clean the rubber seals around windows, the removable top, the rear hatch, etc? I'm sure the summer sun deteriorates them quickly without proper care. Thanks for the advice...

Pops
I just watched a video the other day on this. In it they used a Chevrolet product just called weatherstrip treatment. They said the key when using it is to apply it with the applicator, but then rub it in to the rubber with your fingers to get better absorption. I just bought an 07 C6 today so will be visiting our local Chevy dealer soon.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:01 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I seem to be one of the very few lucky people who got an owner's manual when I bought my car. It says:
Coated Moldings
These moldings are around the hatch opening in the rear area.
• When lightly soiled, wipe with a sponge or soft lint-free cloth dampened with water.
• When heavily soiled, use warm soapy water.

Weatherstrips
Silicone grease on weatherstrips will make them last longer, seal better, and not stick or squeak. Apply silicone grease with a clean cloth. During very cold, damp weather frequent application may be required. See Recommended Fluids and Lubricants on page 443.

Weatherstrip Lubricant (GM Part No. U.S. 3634770, in Canada 10953518) or Dielectric Silicone Grease (GM Part No. U.S. 12345579, in Canada 992887).
BTW, Dielectric Silicone Grease is NOT silicone spray lubricant and it is available at electronics stores like Radio Shack at much less cost than what GM charges.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 AM
NoRuls
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

The GM weatherstrip lube is around $60 per ounce. Crazy expensive! Lots of us here including myself use 303 Aerospace.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:29 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,437 Likes on 863 Posts

Procedure for caring for new rubber. This also works great for rejuvenating older, sun-damaged rubber. It made the seals on my 2000 FRC look darn near new. As long as the seal is not actually cracked or disintegrating, the below steps will bring it back to life.

1) wash the seals/rubber with car wash soap & water to remove top layer of dirt.
2) Clean the rubber & seals with Simple Green (other products may work, but this stuff is cheap and versatile). Clean it gently with a light-colored cloth till the black crap quits coming off! At this point the rubber should look awesome.
3) Wash again with straight water to remove all Simple Green (it'll damage the rubber if left on there too long)
4) treat with dielectric silicone grease (3oz tube is $5 on Amazon) or Aerospace 303.

Tips:
-I usually stick with the 303 as it has a very good reputation for protecting against UV.
-Repeat above process every 4-8 weeks for a car stored outside.
-You *should* be able to skip step 2 (cleaning with Simple Green) on subsequent car cleanings. Step 2 is the 'nuclear option' for dirty tired old seals; or seals in good condition but contaminated with years of 'care care product residue'
-Above process works great on most plastic interiors: steering wheels, panels, dash, etc. Do not use dielectric grease, stick to the 303. My 15yr old Vette interior looks 18mo old with this process.

good luck!
Old 06-12-2015, 09:46 PM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had really good luck using GummiPflege http://tinyurl.com/pxypnos

It is a silicone-based product that comes in a non-aerosol applicator. I like it better than silicone grease because grease doesn't seem to soak into the rubber easily. It requires lots of wiping to keep it from smearing on windows, etc. YMMV, of course.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:33 AM
Smitsd
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I use the Gummi Pfedge on my 05 Vert. Works great and easy application. Doesn't run all over everything.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:43 PM
Kbonsig
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wurth rubber care works great on mine.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:08 PM
cpetruzzi
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which 303 do you guys use? There are cleaners, protectors, etc.
Thanks,
Carmen
Old 06-15-2015, 05:28 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,437 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by cpetruzzi
Which 303 do you guys use? There are cleaners, protectors, etc.
Thanks,
Carmen
this stuff
Amazon.com: 303 (30313-CSR) Aerospace Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 Fl. oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: 303 (30313-CSR) Aerospace Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 Fl. oz.: Automotive
Old 06-15-2015, 07:01 PM
cpetruzzi
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To rubber cleaning and maintenance

Quick Reply: rubber cleaning and maintenance