C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking coolant...advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 12:06 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Leaking coolant...advice needed

2005 C6 w/ 10k miles.
The car is dripping coolant overnight directly under the passenger side of the radiator. I have jacked the car up and inspected thoroughly. It's hard to pin point where the leak is but my gut tells me it's where the plastic portion of the radiator mates with the aluminum center. Do you guys have a sure fire way to diagnose the leak without assuming it's the radiator and throwing money? I cleaned everything well and inspected again this morning. It's a small leak.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:10 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Check while its running.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:13 PM
ant21b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its either the overflow tank,the radiator or the hoses. You should be able to see which it is with the engine running.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Sounds like a leak in the bottom of radiator. Have system pressure tested.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:08 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

10 4
Thanks
Old 05-17-2015, 03:48 PM
bario
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen on my 05 this winter. Overnight dripping from right beneath the radiator on passenger side. Could not find the exact point of the leak but knew it had to be the rad. Once I pulled the rad out i could see that the passenger side radiator end cap was cracked. Apparently not an uncommon issue with todays radiators that have a metal core with plastic end caps.

I bought a DeWitt's. 100 metal. A work of art actually. Direct, no hassle, drop in replacement. Way, way better quality, imo, than the GM rad. Lifetime warranty. As a bonus my running temps dropped due to the Dewitt's.

Good luck with the repair. It's not hard, basic hand tools.

B

Originally Posted by ALEXAMES
2005 C6 w/ 10k miles.
The car is dripping coolant overnight directly under the passenger side of the radiator. I have jacked the car up and inspected thoroughly. It's hard to pin point where the leak is but my gut tells me it's where the plastic portion of the radiator mates with the aluminum center. Do you guys have a sure fire way to diagnose the leak without assuming it's the radiator and throwing money? I cleaned everything well and inspected again this morning. It's a small leak.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:24 PM
slayer6x6
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd check auto zone and see if you can rent a cooling system pressure tester. That's the best way IMO.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:19 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

The plastic on the radiator has cracked due to age and non use.

Tom
Old 05-17-2015, 05:28 PM
Sunnych
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely water pump is giving up. Leak is usually from the weep hole.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:46 PM
C6Vette710
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a small leak recently on my 06 50k. Ended up being the water pump. I would fill the coolant tank then the next morning there would be a puddle under the car. Do you see coolant left around your motor from it? I purchased the Ac Delco part from amazon also came with the thermostat attached. Around $200 shipped and installed myself it is fairly easy and hasn't leaked a drop since.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:17 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bario
I had the same thing happen on my 05 this winter. Overnight dripping from right beneath the radiator on passenger side. Could not find the exact point of the leak but knew it had to be the rad. Once I pulled the rad out i could see that the passenger side radiator end cap was cracked. Apparently not an uncommon issue with todays radiators that have a metal core with plastic end caps.

I bought a DeWitt's. 100 metal. A work of art actually. Direct, no hassle, drop in replacement. Way, way better quality, imo, than the GM rad. Lifetime warranty. As a bonus my running temps dropped due to the Dewitt's.

B
Thanks all for chiming in...this sounds like exactly what's going on with my car. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:26 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

Just an update. It was the radiator. Had a small crack in the plastic tank on the passenger side. I installed a new OEM unit and she's good as new! Cools perfect with no leaks.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:20 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by bario

B
Some years ago, my son's Acura Integra developed a leak (it actually happened right after we had the timing belt changed in New Orleans at an Acura dealer so I think they punched a hole in it, but no proof). They wanted about $800 to replace the radiator. Instead, we brought it home and took it to a local radiator shop. I'm fairly sure they actually make the radiators in their shop, but anyway they're all copper core, no plastic anywhere. I got it put in for about $180, and it was much better quality than the OEM. I don't understand why carmakers insist on using inferior parts.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking coolant...advice needed

Quick Reply: Leaking coolant...advice needed