C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticket magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 02:33 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17
Default ticket magnet?

hi guy's, before the final turn to tighten the bolts i have a quick question. hopefully i'll get someone in law enforcement that could clear things up for me. is this plate bracket illegal due to the fact the state name does not appear on the plate?

i would like to display it but only if it doesn't become a magnet to local police to pull me over to write me up. police in any state i should add. thanks for your input.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:39 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

It is not legal in Texas. I don't know about all states, but I'm thinking it probably isn't legal anywhere.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:39 PM
Blindfingers
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Technically yes, it covers the state name. Probability of being pulled over is questionable and whether or not you're pulled over for something else. I would not call this a ticket magnet as there are many dealerships who's license plate frames are illegal.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:42 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Well I can speak for FL, I got pulled over once for passing a cop on the Turnpike... he just wanted to mess with me, so went through all my violations to waste my time, then let me go. One was the plate frame blocking the name of the state was a violation.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:13 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It's a no-no in AZ, although they usually don't bother the out-of-state visitors.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:47 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
It is not legal in Texas. I don't know about all states, but I'm thinking it probably isn't legal anywhere.
Can't block any part of the state name here in Tx. But your also required to have a front plate. Only one of my 6 Vettes had a front 0late, the 85, as it had a permanent spot for it. Never had a problem on either accounts.

My frame does not cover much, but I guess it is not legal either.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:55 PM
1SickGS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a LEO, if a license plate cover obstructs a single letter, design or anything on the plate at all it is a no-go. I agree with all the above responses. Not that I ever messed with anyone because of it, but state troopers can get pissy about things like that.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:56 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
Can't block any part of the state name here in Tx. But your also required to have a front plate. Only one of my 6 Vettes had a front 0late, the 85, as it had a permanent spot for it. Never had a problem on either accounts.

I actually got pulled over in CA for not having a front license plate on my 2000 Z28 Camaro and the cop wrote me a fix-it ticket. They usually only write you up for that if you've been pulled over for something else and you ran your mouth. They add it to the shopping list. The only time they usually pull people over for that offense alone is if they want to check them out and then they use that as probable cause. My guy was a rookie and it took him 20 minutes to write the ticket. Meantime the FTO was sitting in the patrol car trying to get the donut crumbs off of his uniform shirt.

Last edited by RagTop69; 05-12-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:02 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
hi guy's, before the final turn to tighten the bolts i have a quick question. hopefully i'll get someone in law enforcement that could clear things up for me. is this plate bracket illegal due to the fact the state name does not appear on the plate?

i would like to display it but only if it doesn't become a magnet to local police to pull me over to write me up. police in any state i should add. thanks for your input.
Ah yes. The never ending battle for advertising space. Here in CA, if you have that license plate frame on your car, they'll pull you over, call you a baby killer and spit on you. Old liberal traditions die hard here on the Left Coast.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

even if it was illegal, that's one of those things that a lot of people display as a way to get leniency on their interactions with the police. I can't imagine many cops want to harass a war veteran over something so irrelevant.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:18 PM
Ward Cleaver
Southern Piedmont Area
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille

Even if it was illegal, that's one of those things that a lot of people display as a way to get leniency on their interactions with the police.

I was just getting ready to ask what the purpose is anyway in advertising to the public that a person had done a tour in Vietnam, but your post makes perfect sense.

Regards,
-Ward
Old 05-12-2015, 05:27 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by KalonBarnett
As a LEO, if a license plate cover obstructs a single letter, design or anything on the plate at all it is a no-go. I agree with all the above responses. Not that I ever messed with anyone because of it, but state troopers can get pissy about things like that.
thanks for your response. i believe the NJ troopers would give me a hard time more so than the PA. troopers.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:40 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Entaille
even if it was illegal, that's one of those things that a lot of people display as a way to get leniency on their interactions with the police. I can't imagine many cops want to harass a war veteran over something so irrelevant.
leniency is not what i am looking for. and i wouldn't bet on that anyway with certain police officers. being retired and on s.s. i get comped from the VA. at 100% and am way better off than just s.s. i don't even have to touch my pension plan that i have. so i am proud to be a veteran and thank the VETERANS ADMINISTRATION for all they have done and still do for me. if it were up to the president, the veterans would get squat. it's a great feeling getting free medical and prescriptions. just my way of saying thank you.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:46 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by RagTop69
Ah yes. The never ending battle for advertising space. Here in CA, if you have that license plate frame on your car, they'll pull you over, call you a baby killer and spit on you. Old liberal traditions die hard here on the Left Coast.
geeze, so i should apologize for being a veteran? i think not. california caters to illegals which i find even more offending.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:11 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
It's a no-no in AZ, although they usually don't bother the out-of-state visitors.
Same thing in North Carolina, a no no. But, speaking as a retired LEO, it's quite difficult to keep up with laws of this type from other states so we didn't bother those from out of state concerning these type of violations.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 05-12-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback

I am in Texas for the last 10 years never had a front license plate, ...never pulled over. If I get pulled over some day ....fug it , I'll pay and wont change a thing.
Billy I would display that Veteran frame with pride and if their so LOW that they pull you over even though you served your country...??!! then so be it.....pay it and leave it the way it is....

Last edited by Cor430vette; 05-12-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:26 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
I am in Texas for the last 10 years never had a front license plate, ...never pulled over. If I get pulled over some day ....fug it , I'll pay and wont change a thing.
Billy I would display that Veteran frame with pride and if their so LOW that they pull you over even though you served your country...??!! then so be it.....pay it and leave it the way it is....
Yeah I used to feel that way and went for almost 10 years without one on my '01 and never got stopped. But now since they raised the fine here in Texas to $200 I broke down and put one on the front of my '04 just to not get hassled by the DPS - plus there's 2 small one horse towns I have to drive thru here that gets most of their revenue from traffic stops (for ANYTHING).

Get notified of new replies

To ticket magnet?

Old 05-12-2015, 06:42 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
The one thing I have going for me is my age,68. Had a vette since 01/13 and never been pulled over for speeding or anything else crazy. I figure I'll go as many as 2 tickets, then I'll go back to the old bracket.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
The one thing I have going for me is my age,68. Had a vette since 01/13 and never been pulled over for speeding or anything else crazy. I figure I'll go as many as 2 tickets, then I'll go back to the old bracket.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:30 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

i suspect the license plate frame is illegal in all states, but I also suspect it's such a minor violation that they won't stop you just for that.

That said, I have a university license plate frame. It covers up the top third or so of the state name, and the bottom covers up the part of my tag that says "US Navy". I got stopped for speeding (slightly) in a concerted speed enforcement effort, and he never said a word about my frame, and I know he saw it because he ran the plates before coming up to the car. So basically, around here I don't think they care. The month and year stickers are clearly visible so they know the tag is up to date.

Quick Reply: ticket magnet?