C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screwed? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:04 PM
JSBVette513
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screwed? Help!

Ill paint the scenario for you guys and IM CERTAIN someone has dealt with this before.

I purchased a Targa top off of a forum member, The top came shattered (polycarbonate one). The shipper called to make a claim. UPS stated that if they pay the claim itll be to the shipper (Stupid). Question number 1- If he decided to keep my original payment and UPS payment... He could? Question number 2- I paid with paypal as goods and services, a) What would paypal do? b) If paypal takes care of the money, would I have to ship the product back? (so the shipper will now have a top, and UPS claim money? I need some help folks. The Shipper has flaked out a couple times in convo now and Hasnt responded to a message at all today.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:09 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I went thru this years ago.The moron who sold me the top kept the money paid. That's what UPS does,they pay the shipper. So you should get your money back from the guy you bought it from.I had to give UPS the top if I remember correctly. Notify paypal that the item was damaged on receipt so you have a backup and take pictures to send them.I got reimbursed by them once when a guy on here tried to rip me off when i bought a HUD projector from him and it was broken and he knew it. They grabbed the money right from his account.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:15 PM
Pittcorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Yep take pictures and report immediately to Paypal so they can do an investigation. They are real good at protecting buyers rights.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:16 PM
JSBVette513
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
I went thru this years ago.The moron who sold me the top kept the money paid. That's what UPS does,they pay the shipper. So you should get your money back from the guy you bought it from.I had to give UPS the top if I remember correctly. Notify paypal that the item was damaged on receipt so you have a backup and take pictures to send them.I got reimbursed by them once when a guy on here tried to rip me off when i bought a HUD projector from him and it was broken and he knew it. They grabbed the money right from his account.
Did you ever get your money back for the top? Then what if he cancels his paypal and goes elsewhere? Then im SOL?
Old 04-24-2015, 11:29 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by JSBVette513
Did you ever get your money back for the top? Then what if he cancels his paypal and goes elsewhere? Then im SOL?
PayPal offers buyer protection so you will be protected. Instead of asking on this forum, contact PayPal and then you can relax. You'll be taken care of.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:44 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
PayPal offers buyer protection so you will be protected. Instead of asking on this forum, contact PayPal and then you can relax. You'll be taken care of.
^This.^
Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 AM
drews60
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shipper paid USPS, UPS or other carrier. As the carriers customer they must file the claim and they will get reimbursed. The recipient is out of the loop and must trust the seller for reimbursement.

PayPal will be your best bet. They will take action. A good reason to use PayPal.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:27 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 568 Likes on 345 Posts

I found out about this issue many years ago when I purchased an antique outboard. Came damaged, filed a claim and never heard a thing. Called UPS and they said the claim was paid TO THE SHIPPER. He being a real stand up kind of guy, kept the money and never returned and e-mail or call. From then on I always arranged the UPS pickup, bought insurance on my end for the purchase and had the shipping charged to MY ACCOUNT. By doing this YOU become the "shipper" and control everything. No dealing with a second or third party to be made whole. FWIW.

Last edited by jimmie jam; 04-25-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:31 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

This is a large community. As such there is always a chance that you will find people who are disingenuous. That being said, I think you are jumping to conclusions that the seller won't make it right.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:05 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
This is a large community. As such there is always a chance that you will find people who are disingenuous. That being said, I think you are jumping to conclusions that the seller won't make it right.
Any word from the seller? Is he going to work with you?
Old 04-25-2015, 10:45 AM
maustin195
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have PayPal tied to my debit card. The only time I had a problem I went to the card company directly and got my money back easily. PayPal claimed they could not get the money because the scammer closed their account.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:06 AM
BROCKYJACK
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I think everyone is correct in stating that Paypal will protect you. I am a big eBay seller and they protect both parties from getting ripped off. I too bought a clear top last year from a forum member. He packed it very well but it still arrived with a small crack in polycarbonate and a dent in the trim right over driver door. I called the seller about insurance or returning it. He had not insured it and offered me a partial refund to keep it So I took a 40% refund, fixed the dent and put a piece of dark film over the crack. Top works fine and someday I'll find a deal on the panel itself to replace it Don' assume the worst...I think most people on this forum are stand up guys...or gals.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:28 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Even if the Lexan is shattered the latches, levers and weather stripping are worth several hundred dollars. You can buy a new replacement without those pieces for about $800.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:57 AM
maustin195
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BROCKYJACK
I think everyone is correct in stating that Paypal will protect you. I am a big eBay seller and they protect both parties from getting ripped off. I too bought a clear top last year from a forum member. He packed it very well but it still arrived with a small crack in polycarbonate and a dent in the trim right over driver door. I called the seller about insurance or returning it. He had not insured it and offered me a partial refund to keep it So I took a 40% refund, fixed the dent and put a piece of dark film over the crack. Top works fine and someday I'll find a deal on the panel itself to replace it Don' assume the worst...I think most people on this forum are stand up guys...or gals.
PayPal Will not give you back any of their money. If the seller (scammer) closes the account the money was sent to you will not get any money back unless things have changed after I was cheated by seller.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:57 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

op...how long has it been since you contacted the seller and not received a response? most ppl on this forum are legit so I wouldn't jump to conclusions because you haven't heard back from them in 24 hours or so.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:27 PM
richietables
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
Hopefully the seller will come through and make it right for you.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:14 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Or, in future dealings you could use escrow.com. If you read up on them, it will be educational.

Get notified of new replies

To Screwed? Help!

Old 04-25-2015, 11:17 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by JSBVette513
Ill paint the scenario for you guys and IM CERTAIN someone has dealt with this before.

The shipper called to make a claim. UPS stated that if they pay the claim itll be to the shipper (Stupid). Question number 2- I paid with paypal as goods and services, a) What would paypal do? b) If paypal takes care of the money, would I have to ship the product back? (so the shipper will now have a top, and UPS claim money? I need some help folks. The Shipper has flaked out a couple times in convo now and Hasnt responded to a message at all today.

Thanks!
If PayPal makes you whole then why shouldn't the shipper have the broken top and the UPS insurance money? He is, after all, out the top, and the UPS compensation would make him whole too. If PayPal says no to you, then the seller needs to return your money and UPS needs to issue a shipping authorization for the return of the item to the seller. Don't ya just love shopping on line? If the seller keeps your money and the UPS insurance compensation, sue him in small claims and get a judgment against him.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:01 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

PayPal holds the money before it goes to the seller for just such situations, but you need to let them know right away. The shipper will always pay the guy who paid them, so that isn't unusual. Contact PayPal immediately. Your credit card issuer will also protect you in most cases like this. If they cancel your charge, then the guy you bought it from is entitled to the damaged top, to be made whole along with the insurance payment. You are entitled to not be out any money, which makes you whole. Basic contract law. Hope it goes ok.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:46 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 568 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
If the seller keeps your money and the UPS insurance compensation, sue him in small claims and get a judgment against him.
You don't have to do this if you become the shipper and have the item picked up at the seller on YOUR account. You pay the shipping and you buy the insurance. This is not difficult.

Quick Reply: Screwed? Help!