C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - How do I Band Aid a broken transmission line?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:28 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Default HELP - How do I Band Aid a broken transmission line?

Here's my problem. I was blowing the doors off a C7, and my punishment was my headers wore a hole in the metal transmission line. It must have been rubbing for a while, it has a pin hole in it. Made a ton of smoke too.

Anyway, I need to repair it temporarily, while I either replace it or repair it permanently. What options do I have?

It is a manual transmission Grand Sport, 2011 year.

Any ideas welcomed and appreciated!!
Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 PM
C4SMAJ
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

..you could cut the line and insert a piece of rubber fuel line....but being next to a header that would not last long....you could get a piece proper size metal tubing from Auto Zone and cut the line in two places....use fuel line and clamps to install that new metal tubing line next to your header... you could get a brass compression fitting and cut the line at the leak and install it....I installed a compression fitting on a C4 with an auto and drove it for many thousands of miles like that....I hit something that kinked the trans line....not a lot of help but its all I got.....good luck....
Old 04-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Thanks, that is help, its confirming ideas. I have a guy trying to get me a compression fitting tool that might help with the permanent fix.

I'm gonna try to bypass the front cooler temporarily, just gotta sleep on it tonight, and knock it out tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:09 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 277 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Although the reference is to a brake line on an older vehicle the fix is the same. Take a peek.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:11 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Thanks. IF I can get it off without a ton of work (it may go under the torque tube plate), I think I might try getting one of the boat places to TIG weld a small blob in the hole, to give it more beef in the area. I saw it last night it is literally a pin hole.

Then, bend it out of the way of the headers!

I'll post repair pics out here, to hopefully help others out in the future too.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:23 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I am no help, but just for info: how long do you think this line is, and how complicated is it to get it out and replace it? The only thing I'm thinking of is, a new one you could fit in place and "adjust" or put a permanent bend in it off the car that would avoid as much as possible rubbing in the future. But, I'm not saying the above suggestions aren't possible long-term fixes. Just asking a question. Good luck and tell us what you do.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:10 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Seadawg
Thanks, that is help, its confirming ideas. I have a guy trying to get me a compression fitting tool that might help with the permanent fix.

I'm gonna try to bypass the front cooler temporarily, just gotta sleep on it tonight, and knock it out tomorrow.
Do you mean inverted flare tool? There are no special tools needed for compression fittings. Either one would fix your problem. Just splice in a new section and reroute it away from the headers.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:12 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I can't help ya too much. I would say try and find out why it did this to prevent it from happening in the future. Best of luck!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

thanks guys, just took a break to wipe the sweat (hot here in Florida today). I'm dropping the exhaust now, to get to the torque tube plate, gotta get it off to get that looonnnggg line outta there to get it either flared or TIG welded. Will post pics later.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:30 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Weeelllllll, after tugging and pulling on the exhaust under jack stands, and in the Florida heat, I gave up and JB Welded it for a temporary patch. I'll get it to a shop soon, for the permanent repair....

Here are some pics.

The rub area, that made a pinhole in the trans line

1st layer of JB Weld

Some ThermoShield between the trans lines and the header
Old 04-27-2015, 07:47 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

That thermo shield will keep the line from rubbing through again. Keep an eye on it.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
That thermo shield will keep the line from rubbing through again. Keep an eye on it.
Yea, it's holding for now. It only leaked out less than a quart, it was a tiny hole. I'm dropping it off tomorrow at a friend's muffler shop, they will drop the exhaust, then bend the line out of the header touch area, cut it, and splice it back mechanically. I miss my 4 post lift!!!

Then, in a week or so, I'll change the fluid, since I have about 60k on the car. Gonna go with a good synthetic Dexron III compatible

Get notified of new replies

To HELP - How do I Band Aid a broken transmission line?

Quick Reply: HELP - How do I Band Aid a broken transmission line?