C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing race seat, need to disable side air bags

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:32 AM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Installing race seat, need to disable side air bags

Hey guys,

I want to install race seats that have been sitting in storage for the entire winter. I'm looking at some guides online though (the seat didn't come with any instructions, I bought it used) and it looks like I am suppose to get a harness for the side air bag connector? Nothing came with the seat so I am worried about that. I might be able to get a resistor and make a harness myself but I'm not sure how big of a resistor I need to fake the airbags. Can somebody help me out here? They are Caravaggio race seats if it matters.

Cheers,
-Benjamin
Old 04-11-2015, 10:36 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would call the manufacturer.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
I would call the manufacturer.
they may have an install kit with instructions. Their web site may also have a PDF of their install instructions.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:46 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Checked the website, no PDFs. I'll give them a call, I was just hoping somebody would know how much resistance was needed. Just need that one number really.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:59 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Don't know if you have seen this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-install.html

It mentions the harness but not resistance values. It mentions that Caravaggio has instructions.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:12 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got my Daytona Sport Seats from Caravaggio and those seats deleted the side airbags. He has some sort of 'kit/module' that tricks the on board BCU in thinking there are still airbags. I would contact him>>>

http://caravaggiocorvettes.com/#/contacts/contacts

Old 04-11-2015, 02:27 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

I just called John and he gets his parts to fake the airbags from somebody else so no luck there I'll keep looking
Old 04-11-2015, 02:55 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

If I just leave this disconnected what are the consequences? Does it really matter?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:34 AM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by freaknbigpanda
If I just leave this disconnected what are the consequences? Does it really matter?
Your Air Bag Warning Light Comes ON
Old 04-13-2015, 05:42 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

But it doesn't affect anything else right? All the other airbags will still fiction normally? I don't realy care if the light is on.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:41 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

bump can anybody answer the question above?
Old 04-16-2015, 07:47 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I'm not sure but I wouldn't risk it. When the BCM thinks there is a fault in the airbag system it may decide that not firing them is safer than firing them while you are driving down the Interstate at 70. I do know that it will refuse to fire them with some faults in the system. I'm not sure what it thinks of all wires open.

There is no simple "resistor" fix. The system knows the position of each seat to decide how hard to fire the air bags. If you have the seat pushed back it fires harder than if you are hugging the steering wheel. And it weighs the passenger to decide what to do on that side. Not just yes/no for there is a passenger. It has a scale to weigh the passenger. All this information is put on the serial data bus in digital form for the other computers to use. That's why you need a manufacturer designed simulator which the manufacturer is going to be reluctant to supply because, without the sensors and computer interface should they fire the airbags hard and kill a child or weak and be ineffective?
Old 04-16-2015, 12:26 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I think the issue here is not limited to just the side airbags when making a seat change. There is a sensor on the driver's seat track that determines whether the seat is close or far from the steering wheel and that is on 1LT seats as well as 2LT and above. Once that connection is removed, the SIR determines the system has a fault.

The real question that doesn't seem to have an official answer (probably due to a liability issue) is whether the remainder of the system will function if any one part has a fault. i.e. is it all or nothing?

I swap out my OEM seat for my race seat just for race days. I'm willing to accept the risk that no airbag may function during that time. However, airbags and power passenger seat is the reason I ordered a 2LT for all the rest of the daily driving time.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing race seat, need to disable side air bags

Quick Reply: Installing race seat, need to disable side air bags