C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire installation anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 11:00 AM
kev1949
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tire installation anxiety

Time for new tires. Were you happy or disappointed with the tire store you chose? Would appreciate any recommendations based on your experience. Thanks
Old 03-28-2015, 11:03 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I bought from Tire Rack, and had them delivered to my service writer, and in turn he called when they arrived and had them installed by there techs, which knows Corvettes.
They are vender here on the forum
http://www.tirerack.com/specialoffers/specialoffers.jsp
Old 03-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I replaced mine two years ago. When I purchased them at a local tire shop, I told them that I wanted to be back in the shop area when they were doing the work, and they had no problem with that. Not sure that it made any difference, but my being there and watching might have gotten them to be extra careful.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:31 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,915 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I use Discount Tire and usually get great service.

But last time I went to the Mansfield, TX store and pre purchased my Mich. RF tires. They never called to let me know they were in, I had to call them. I told the Asst. Manager there was a new rim to replace the bent one on the passenger front. Watched the tech start to mount new tire to bent rim. Told him there was a new one in the hatch, he had no knowledge of it.
Long story short they did not balance either of my front tires. Went to the store in Arlington and they did a high speed balance on all 4 wheels. Mansfield had told me they did not do high speed balance anymore.

Needless to say I will not be going back to the hacks at Mansfield, TX Discount Tire!!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Jeff-Ford
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ordered from tire rack and had a friend who works at a dealership do the install and alignment.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:55 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I use Discount Tire, there are 4 in my area. One I have not been to yet, 1 is good, 1 is Better and one is full of Idiots. How did I learn that one was full of idiots...................

Last edited by ls1121; 03-28-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Originally Posted by kev1949
Time for new tires. Were you happy or disappointed with the tire store you chose? Would appreciate any recommendations based on your experience. Thanks
Given your proximity to South Bend, I would definitely recommend buying from Tire Rack and going to their South Bend location to have them installed. I have done that many times and I was always impressed with their professionalism. Just call them, tell them what tires you want and set up an appointment to have them installed.

Full Disclosure: I got the Michelin's on my C6 at Discount tire in Merrillville because they offered a better free warranty and we are talking about pricey tires if one needs to be replaced. I didn't care that much for their service but they did manage to install them without scratching the wheels. I didn't take the car to them, just the wheels in the back of my pickup. Bottom line, if I had to do it again I would take a run out to South Bend. In fact I need tires on the Ranger and I will get them there.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:11 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

You might want to install the four permanent or temporary jacking pucks (I installed the permanent pucks). Discount Tire did indeed lift the car from the fragile rocker panels. Jacking pucks reduce the chances of getting a crack down there.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:33 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Tire Rack and a local installer who works on all the hot stuff here such as Ferraris and Porsches. I'm perfectly satisfed.

BTW, the installer's test showed two of four no good for speeds of 150 mph +. The TR replaced the tires at 100% it's cost including shipping them back at its cost.

I'm sold on Tire Rack.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:01 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Have bought many sets from Tire Rack. Always 100% satisfied. When I bought new wheels, had my Dealer do the install. They took 2 1/2 hours to do it, because they did it right. Tire Rack has listings of recommended installers if you don't trust the Dealer. In my case, I did and was very satisfied. The other Chevy Dealer in town had butchered both the tire and the wheel doing a flat repair on my '06. They replaced the wheel, but I had to buy a tire. Bottom line: taking it to anyone, Dealer or not, the first time is always a gamble. But Tire Rack helps out with their listing.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:12 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Bought mine from one of the local Firestone service centers here. They did a great job mounting and balancing the tires and doing the 4-wheel alignment. They asked me for my jacking pucks and they hand torqued all of the lugs without me having to ask them to do it. They had no problem with me staying with the car throughout the entire process. Absolutely great service! I am also very happy with the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFTs. Great tires.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:31 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

[QUOTE=vetteright;1589287970]Bought mine from one of the local Firestone service centers here. They did a great job mounting and balancing the tires and doing the 4-wheel alignment. They asked me for my jacking pucks and they hand torqued all of the lugs without me having to ask them to do it. They had no problem with me staying with the car throughout the entire process. Absolutely great service! I am also very happy with the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFTs. Great tires.[/QUOTE I'm on my 2nd set of Firestone's,great service..
Old 03-28-2015, 04:38 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by vetteright
Bought mine from one of the local Firestone service centers here. They did a great job mounting and balancing the tires and doing the 4-wheel alignment. They asked me for my jacking pucks and they hand torqued all of the lugs without me having to ask them to do it. They had no problem with me staying with the car throughout the entire process. Absolutely great service! I am also very happy with the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFTs. Great tires.
Which Firestone store did you go to? I might want to give them a try next time I need service.

I've always used NTB on Madison Blvd in Madison, but when I got my Michelin Pilot Super Sports from Tire Rack they sent them to the wrong store (sent them to NTB on 72 West ... a new store I didn't even know was there). Anyway, I decided to let them go ahead and mount the tires and do the alignment (all brand new equipment) and they made the biggest mess you've ever seen. Tires weren't balanced properly and the alignment was so bad it was hard to keep the car on the road. Actually got the best alignment (after about 3 tries with NTB) at Landers McClarty Chevy.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:21 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Having the WHOLE TOWN CRAMMED with snowbirds, and the D.T. parking lot jammed with RV's, huge Dodge diesels, little gray haired lady's and assorted other fiberglass destroying machines, I was suffering from anxiety also last week when I wanted my fronts re-balanced. I mean it really was worrying me.
So I took them off myself and threw them in the back of my truck, called ahead for a time slot and "Viola" done deal, no charge BTW
Helped with a little vibration past 70mph so all's good
NSF
Old 03-28-2015, 09:47 PM
medic_343
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately I had the bad experience with this... First time owner bought new tires at a great price at Big O Tires but had two of my wheels scratched up during the install. The managers were not even apologetic about the mishap... I was furious....end rant
Old 03-28-2015, 09:53 PM
Modern Musclecar
Instructor

I got tired of dealing with incompetent tire shops and bought a tire machine so I can do my own mounting. For any high performance car I get the wheels "road force balanced"
Old 03-28-2015, 10:15 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,027 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Tires themselves, not a problem so I already know that am up for (super sports for summer time).

But here at the troubles that you may run into getting the on the car.

The needs to be able to get the car on the lift to begin with, and on some lifts, end up scrapping the car just driving it on in the first place.

May not have jacking pads, and will end up damaging the bottom of the skid skirts (why I have jacking pucks in the back of the car they can use if needed).

Now comes time to get the tire off and on the rim, and some of the machine can do damage to the inside of the rim if it's a jaw clamping type machine to the inside of the rim.

Next comes the balancing, and are they going to high speed road force balance, or just spin balance alone.

So again, it not so much the tires themselves, but shops that are not geared up to change and balance Corvette tires instead.

P.S, I tend to be hard on rims, so does the shop have someone that can straighten a rim if needed as well . This has to do a lot with road force balancing to catch the problem in the first place (what is light shimming at 75mph, can be a monster at 150mph), or if they are just going to spin balance, may never catch the problem instead (or unless until you come back since one of the tires has a speed shimming problem).

Last edited by Dano523; 03-28-2015 at 10:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire installation anxiety

Old 03-29-2015, 10:40 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,301 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've never had a problem with Discount Tire knows what to do.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by kev1949
I agonized over letting Firestone (local dealer) change the tires but finally gave in two weeks ago. Got the Firestone RFT's. Good choice. Quiet, smooth and they beat TireRack's price. I told them my overall concerns before they started the install. Their "best" guy worked it and took his time to make sure their were no major issues.The only issue (minor) in this case was I noticed when they pulled the old wheel weights off it left the paper/glue residue on the wheel which I removed.
I was almost as concerned with someone driving it pulling it on the lift as I was someone working on it!!! But ya gotta let it happen.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:08 PM
deadsexyii
Instructor

Never again from Discount Tire in Kansas City. They took a flat blade screwdriver to pull the weights from my painted rims and ended up completely refinishing all 4 of them. I was without wheels/tires for a week Then when I got them back they weren't balanced. Never again.

Quick Reply: Tire installation anxiety