C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of non-run flat tires read this first.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 04:49 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Well dog-gone-it. Theres just so many opinions out there one just doesn't know what to think. Think I saw a post that said that non run flats give better performance ?? I thought it was pretty cut & dry that a run flat would handle the twisties a little better due to its stiffer side wall construction.....more forum fungus I presume ??? Help us Mr. Wizard !!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 05:04 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

There are both positives and negatives about ZP tires, I recently replaced my rear tires with regular tires not ZP tires. And like the OP, I had to replace the TPMS in the right rear due to the previous owner using Slime and when I had the tire removed it had a screw in it and I have been driving it over a year with it in. My left side tire never gave me any problems but when I changed these tires it also had a nail in it, it was rusty with rust on the tire so it has also been in it since I bought the car. So due to the ZP tires I have been able or been driving two damaged tires for over a year.

I am glad because I was able to drive it until I wanted to change the tires, but then again, since I had no clue these had objects in them, I was driving it like they were in great condition, that could have been dangerous if I had gone on a spirited run and got them hot and the pressures up.

Due to the good and the bad, I do not know if I like them or not. Both a positive and negative in my situation.

Here is the best looking tire I replaced, I trashed the other due to the slime and the punctures in it which I was not aware of. You can see the rust on the rubber from it being there a long time, and I did not know.
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

GS'vert, the OE GY RF's were so noisy, it took any fun out of highway driving.
Not so with Invos. I did catch a screw that caused a slow leak.
I'm far more concerned about "road gators" and distracted drivers.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:36 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe B.
GS'vert, the OE GY RF's were so noisy, it took any fun out of highway driving.
Not so with Invos. I did catch a screw that caused a slow leak.
I'm far more concerned about "road gators" and distracted drivers.
Isn't THAT the truth!!!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:39 AM
bontrager
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
They use Michelin runflats at Spring Mountain driving school on their vettes, at least they did when I was there a couple years ago.

I also run my Bridgestone run flats on road courses and drag strips, and (for a street car daily driver), I'm feel I'm as "competitive" as folks would want to be, for a car that you don't want to tear up as a daily driver.

"Security" on the road courses is important to me, because I like knowing that if I lose tire pressure, I have a safety factor to protect me.

On the highway, I can easily take any curve at triple the posted speed limit, and 4 times it if they are warmed up and I know there is no issue. Meaning, with my runflats, I routinely roll off the 70 mph interstate exits on the local "20 mph max." tight circles at 65 - 75 mph, as long as no traffic is in front or behind me. I wouldn't go any faster with non run flats.

But having said all that, I have no problem with non run flats. Maybe one day I will try a set.

I gotta get past getting flats thought..... I just seem to get a flat about every 6 months, and I love being able to still go to work, call Discount Tire, then drive it there after work to get it plugged, with no worries about damaging a rim or getting towed.
Please tell me why run flats have more adhesion in the corners than non run flats.

thank you
Old 03-30-2015, 09:23 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
They use Michelin runflats at Spring Mountain driving school on their vettes, at least they did when I was there a couple years ago.

I also run my Bridgestone run flats on road courses and drag strips, and (for a street car daily driver), I'm feel I'm as "competitive" as folks would want to be, for a car that you don't want to tear up as a daily driver.

"Security" on the road courses is important to me, because I like knowing that if I lose tire pressure, I have a safety factor to protect me.

On the highway, I can easily take any curve at triple the posted speed limit, and 4 times it if they are warmed up and I know there is no issue. Meaning, with my runflats, I routinely roll off the 70 mph interstate exits on the local "20 mph max." tight circles at 65 - 75 mph, as long as no traffic is in front or behind me. I wouldn't go any faster with non run flats.

But having said all that, I have no problem with non run flats. Maybe one day I will try a set.

I gotta get past getting flats thought..... I just seem to get a flat about every 6 months, and I love being able to still go to work, call Discount Tire, then drive it there after work to get it plugged, with no worries about damaging a rim or getting towed.
You can take a 30 mph corner at 120 mph if the tires are warm?

On the plug issue, in bikes, we will plug and then ride no more than 50 mph until the tire is replaced. I know nobody including me who'll run a plugged bike tire at speed for longer than it takes to get a new tire.

Now these are high perf high speed cars but you'll run with plugged tires and taking 30 mph corners at 120 mph on them?

Please expand on your comments.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:56 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bontrager
Please tell me why run flats have more adhesion in the corners than non run flats.

thank you
Seems that logic would dictate here. Since run flats have stiffer sidewalls it only stands to reason that there may be less flex when taking a corner. Too much sidewall flex means that the tire is then distorted and won't hold as well in the corner. Makes sense to me but I'm sure there are other opinions.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Here's my runflat story from two years ago.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...flat-tire.html
Old 03-30-2015, 12:15 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Some people tend to go overboard with "insurance".
How many of you guys who swear you need run flats own a motorcycle or two? No run flat tires on bikes that I am aware of.
I am 62 years old and have never been stranded by a flat tire on a car, bike, RV, ATV, trailer tire, etc in my life. My worse case scenario was having to change out a tire on my boat trailer once due to picking up a screw on a drive from Washington to Alaska. Even then, the tire had enough air but I noticed the screw as we stopped to take a break.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:25 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Well I had a chance to see how the run flats work this weekend. Driving from NC to NY only 10 miles from my home I hit a pot hole and blow out my front right tire. I was able to get home with the RF. If was any other tire I would be waiting on the side of the road for a flatbed on a Sunday night. I run firehawks and will replace them with firehawk RF tires.

Last edited by myfunz; 03-30-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:47 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Its not always just about 'performance'. Not all C6 owners are wealthy, and the difference in cost-per-year between RF and non-RF can be significant, *especially* if you DD your Corvette, and its not just a 2k miles/year sunny weekender.

The short life and high cost of the Goodyears make them nearly*4* times as expensive as some of the non-RF choices out there, particularly in Z06/GS sizes, as in those sizes, the choices are slim/expensive for RF tires. Example: to get two years of usage @15,000 miles/year, I'd spend $3600 for Goodyear RF's (2 sets at $1800), and $1300 for 1 set of non-RF Nitto Invos. (yeah, I know... 15k miles out of a set of Goodyear RF is pretty optimistic)

To me, that's a huge cost savings. And I don't think I can personally justify the additional $1000+ per year operating costs just so I don't have to take the slim chance of a non-roadside repairable flat.
Having a coupe and can run a higher mileage tire usually, I run Bridgestone run-flats and get over 30Kmi on my DD... actually got right at 30K on a set of Mich run-flats, but didn't get 20k on the original Goodyears. the cheapest tires I could find were $900 a set with no mileage warranty and not run flat, the Bridgestones have a 40k warranty (yes, I know because front and back are different sizes they cut that in half) and run flat that I found on sale for $1200, seemed worth it to me.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:53 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blittle
Just for the H....of it: How many of us have ever had a "blow out?" How about a "slow leak?"( result of bad bead set, bad valve, or screw or nail in the tread) For me.... I had a blow out back in 84 when I was running Dayton recaps on my Mercury Sable. Slow leaks.... i' ve had several as I have picked up lag screws, nails, etc. over the years....only the blowout stranded me on the road till I got the tire changed. I guess the point is.....how susceptible to "catastrophic failure" are today's tires?? If you get hit with the "nail, screw" thing....wouldnt the the "slime system" get you off the road to service somewhere??
I have had two full fledged blow outs, (one at speed on a motorcycle, lots of fun, but saved it) and one on the rear of a large sedan. Both were many years ago. Also had two flats within 10 minutes of each other on a trip from Michigan to New York, and of course only had one spare. And had a very fast leak on a Jeep in 2010, full pressure to 0 in a mile. And was on a bridge at speed in rush hour traffic, couldn't stop for two miles, lucky I didn't ruin the rim. I have also at times gone many years between tire issues, but still find the price of run-flats worth it, and expect as they become more popular the price will come down and they will become the standard for all cars.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:01 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
Some people tend to go overboard with "insurance".
How many of you guys who swear you need run flats own a motorcycle or two? No run flat tires on bikes that I am aware of.
I am 62 years old and have never been stranded by a flat tire on a car, bike, RV, ATV, trailer tire, etc in my life. My worse case scenario was having to change out a tire on my boat trailer once due to picking up a screw on a drive from Washington to Alaska. Even then, the tire had enough air but I noticed the screw as we stopped to take a break.
Actually there are foam tube tires, that cannot go flat, available for off road, dual sport, and adventure bikes.
And you are lucky. But you did have a spare on the trailer, right. Would you take a long trip pulling a trailer with no spare for the truck or trailer?
Old 03-30-2015, 02:04 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

This the reason why installed Firehawks RFT on my corvette last Sept, and I also woke up one morning with low tire, drove to store, and since I have road hazard, they took care of me quickly.
I know every time I call AAA, it's a wait for them to arrive, last time with group we all waited little over two hours for the truck to arrive, and haul the car home with flat, cause he always bragged he didn't need RFT. I guess the joke was on him.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:00 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
I have had two full fledged blow outs, (one at speed on a motorcycle, lots of fun, but saved it) and one on the rear of a large sedan. Both were many years ago. Also had two flats within 10 minutes of each other on a trip from Michigan to New York, and of course only had one spare. And had a very fast leak on a Jeep in 2010, full pressure to 0 in a mile. And was on a bridge at speed in rush hour traffic, couldn't stop for two miles, lucky I didn't ruin the rim. I have also at times gone many years between tire issues, but still find the price of run-flats worth it, and expect as they become more popular the price will come down and they will become the standard for all cars.
Well.....i think you would agree then, blowouts are seldom these days...the other issues you described are definitely possible and can happen to any of us....as for the "standard for all cars", not so sure unless they can make them perform and feel as good as non runflats.....that may happen, but it hasn't happened yet. In most cases of slow leaks do to damage by nail, screw, etc..... the slime, pump option will get you off the road and to a tire shop....much to the same degree as the runflat....the advantage of the runflat is you don't have to stop and do the fix......this coming month I will be changing out my tires and putting on Hankook non RF's.....cant wait to see if the ride feel, cornering, etc....change! I did buy a slime/inflator unit.... we shall see!

Old 03-30-2015, 07:05 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I guess I get to be the exception, since I had a blowout (RF) hitting a sharp rock (missed the "watch for rocks" sign) with Invos on a mountain curve in the rain at 60 MPH and 25 miles from the closest anything. That rock ripped out the sidewall and there was an instant pressure loss. I learned that low profile tires are very stable without air, as I drove about 1/4 mile to find a place to pull over. Then there was the flatbed ride to the largest town within 200 miles and to the only tire dealer, who had anything you'd need for a truck or tractor, but nothing for a Vette. 30 miles away, another tire store had one of the right size (245/40 R18) in a different brand, so my total time lost was only 3 hours.

Now, neither of those tire stores had equipment to change a runflat, nor stocked anything in a larger tire. So if you happen to be out seeing the USA and you have a non-repairable tire problem, especially with a runflat, don't expect to be back on the road as quick as I was. Replacement of an OEM GY RF would have required 2 days for shipping the tire/wheel 200+ miles just to remove it and hope the right size was available.

BTW, an alternator failure can take 2 days also.

It's not like any of this is life threatening, so don't let fear stop you from enjoying life. Those bumps in the road create memories too.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:09 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I guess I get to be the exception, since I had a blowout (RF) hitting a sharp rock (missed the "watch for rocks" sign) with Invos on a mountain curve in the rain at 60 MPH and 25 miles from the closest anything. That rock ripped out the sidewall and there was an instant pressure loss. I learned that low profile tires are very stable without air, as I drove about 1/4 mile to find a place to pull over. Then there was the flatbed ride to the largest town within 200 miles and to the only tire dealer, who had anything you'd need for a truck or tractor, but nothing for a Vette. 30 miles away, another tire store had one of the right size (245/40 R18) in a different brand, so my total time lost was only 3 hours.

Now, neither of those tire stores had equipment to change a runflat, nor stocked anything in a larger tire. So if you happen to be out seeing the USA and you have a non-repairable tire problem, especially with a runflat, don't expect to be back on the road as quick as I was. Replacement of an OEM GY RF would have required 2 days for shipping the tire/wheel 200+ miles just to remove it and hope the right size was available.

BTW, an alternator failure can take 2 days also.

It's not like any of this is life threatening, so don't let fear stop you from enjoying life. Those bumps in the road create memories too.
Yea...having a tooth pulled creates memories also....just not sure they are the type I really want to remember....LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of non-run flat tires read this first.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:49 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
You can take a 30 mph corner at 120 mph if the tires are warm?

On the plug issue, in bikes, we will plug and then ride no more than 50 mph until the tire is replaced. I know nobody including me who'll run a plugged bike tire at speed for longer than it takes to get a new tire.

Now these are high perf high speed cars but you'll run with plugged tires and taking 30 mph corners at 120 mph on them?

Please expand on your comments.
The tire engineers that I have talked to say if a RF is plugged properly, it is still safe to use.

And, there's a difference in "true" 30 mph corners compared 30 mph posted speed corners. But most of the interstate exits near me post 20 mph speeds, and I can easily take them 60 - 80 mph when the roads are warm, there is NO traffic, and there is NO debris on the roads. You have to be smooth, just like they teach you at Spring Mountain and Bondurant driving schools.

I've run my Bridgestone RFs to 160 mph+ on HDPE track days here in Daytona (along with many other vettes), and yes, the last time it was with Bridgestones that one front and one rear had a plug in it.

In between sessions, I use an infrared gun to measure tire tread temps, and nothing out of the ordinary is noted. And, the tire pressure goes up about 6 psi, but that is expected too. Mine go up about 2 - 4 psi for street driving.

I also measure brake rotor temps, because I've been lucky, and have not cracked a rotor (yet).

Now the scare I really got was finding a cracked rim, on the inside edge, see this thread..... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ront-tire.html

This would have been disastrous on a track if it failed......
Old 03-31-2015, 01:06 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 885 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadReady
I only had to imagine a flat in the middle of the Navaho-Hopi reservation on a 112 degree day with no cell service before deciding to continue using run-flats (but never ever again Goodyears)! If you go off the beaten path you better have a backup plan.
Very specific image. I actually had that experience on a motorcycle, but it was a little cooler, maybe in the 90s. Short version is: It sucked. My Fix-a-Flat didn't fix it.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:41 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well dog-gone-it. Theres just so many opinions out there one just doesn't know what to think. Think I saw a post that said that non run flats give better performance ?? I thought it was pretty cut & dry that a run flat would handle the twisties a little better due to its stiffer side wall construction.....more forum fungus I presume ??? Help us Mr. Wizard !!!!
There are many different models of run-flat tires offered by different manufacturers, and they aren't all the same.

Most conversations about tires on this forum are useless, because commenters won't stipulate exactly which tire they're talking about. Terms like "Bridgestones" or "Goodyears" or "run-flats" could mean any number of different tires.

To answer your question: in the old days, the best run-flat tires didn't perform as well as non-run-flat high performance tires. So, for example, the C5 came with run-flats but the C5 Z06 did not.

Fun-flats got a reputation for being categorically lousy, especially for the price. But things turned around in the middle of the C6 production run with tires like the Michelin PS2 ZP.

I doubt that any run-flat will outperform the best non-run-flat tire, but the good ones are certainly close enough for a street car.
The following users liked this post:
dr_gallup (02-23-2016)

Quick Reply: Thinking of non-run flat tires read this first.