C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your C6 a daily driver, commuting machine, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Certainly not a DD Jim, but a garage queen? I don't know if 6,700 miles in 2 years and 3 months, qualifies it as a garage queen or not.

My GS is used for occasional road trips, or whenever I feel like taking a little cruise to get my adrenalin going.

Strictly a fun, extra car, toy.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:33 PM
Marconi7
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Both are daily drivers. My son has the C5 Z06 and mine is the C6. With Houston traffic, the only time you have actual fun is when there is a opening for a bit or you are going the opposite direction.

-Marc
Old 03-25-2015, 02:42 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

FWD, as in... Fair Weather Driver. Any chance of rain 20% or more then I drive my "beater" car.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:42 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

DD, rain or shine. I find the car works very well as a daily driver, and now after almost 4 years this is the longest I've kept the same daily driver in over three decades. It's been great, I'd love to replace it with a newer one soon.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

My 06 rusty and trusty Ford Taurus is my DD in the winter and the summer. The Corvette comes out to play on select summer weekends when it's dry. I don't drive it too much in the summer because I get sick of things really fast, but everytime I hop in, it's a blast
Old 03-25-2015, 03:24 PM
09_BSM_Z51
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Camaro is short trips, bad weather, or bad traffic jam car.

Corvette is my highway car.

Just depends on the needs of the day. Usually split evenly depending on conditions. Although, I really don't mind driving the corvette in storms. It performs great in all conditions when your not racing it. I could easily 100% daily drive it, but it'd have to have an automatic. I hate killing my c6 clutch in traffic jams here. Corvette is an outstanding platform. As a weekend toy or a daily driver it will get you there.

In a perfect world I'll have a C7Z with auto and a C6Z with manual.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:35 PM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine is. 60 miles a day. Its probably not good for the car, but I fill up when it says 50 miles left, and I get an average of 320 miles per tank at that point, with Dallas traffic.

Its a car, its meant to be driven, not sit in a garage!
Old 03-25-2015, 04:53 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,180 Posts

100 percent daily driver since new on my 08. I've got about 88k trouble free miles. Back in 1999 my first c5 z51 was a weekend toy and when I sold it for half of what I paid for it the new owner got a brand new car...

After that I decided to daily drive my corvettes. They are traditionally equal in price to purchase as my loving wife's luxury cars so what the hell. This is my third brand new one....the last was a z06.

Why not enjoy each mile.

I figure I stay home maybe 5 times a year because it's the first day of the many snow storms we have each year..

I wash the car weekly as it's a black z51 m6.

This cars been so good....I figure to hold onto it for another few years and then buy a c7 z06 A8.

I really enjoy this c6 coupe. Just a great car that's quite a looker too.

Tires oil and gas for 88k miles.

Just been a wonderful ownership.

5 hours of driving today with a good portion in traffics a bit of a pain in the neck....but on beautiful days...nothing's better.

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-25-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:01 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 882 Posts

Mine is a summer toy, although I drive it to lunch nearly everyday then, weather permitting.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:15 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Spouse's Grandsport is a daily driver but she has an 8 mile commute to work. That being said she has still put 20k miles on it in 2 years.

My Grandsport is not a daily driver but have still managed to put 30k miles on it in less than 3 years.

Last edited by RC4G; 03-26-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by bobeast
Wife is a house queen, C6 is a garage queen. Sometimes the two fight over territory.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:31 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine is a GQWT

Garage Queen Weekend Toy

Old 03-25-2015, 05:48 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,310 Likes on 2,223 Posts

Wow, can't believe you guys daily drive your cars. I know the car is capable of it, i just can't see how you guys do it. With random traffic, all kinds of idiots who can't park, the wear and tear, etc etc. I couldn't do it.

That said mine is a weekend warrior. During the warm months i'll probably take it out for a quick spin after work during the week or i'll take a long cruise saturday and sunday. I just got the car about 4 months ago so it didn't get much use cause of the bad winter but i would want to take it out a lot when nice weather really settles in. I don't know about taking it out when it's raining.

That's what daily drivers are for. I have another car for the daily use. My philosophy is if you don't have to drive the car, why would you? These cars are supposed to be about pleasure. What pleasure is it when it's downpouring outside? Or when it's 15 degrees? If it's your only car then you have no choice but if you have another vehicle, use that for the crappy days.

Because if you think about it this way, the more time you're away from your toy, the more excited you are driving it the day you get to drive it. That's how i feel. You're bored driving your daily driver during the week. Then when the weekend finally comes, you get in your toy and go crazy lol. Idk that's how it worked for me all these years.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JerriVette
100 percent daily driver since new on my 08. I've got about 88k trouble free miles. Back in 1999 my first c5 z51 was a weekend toy and when I sold it for half of what I paid for it the new owner got a brand new car...

After that I decided to daily drive my corvettes. They are traditionally equal in price to purchase as my loving wife's luxury cars so what the hell. This is my third brand new one....the last was a z06.

Why not enjoy each mile.

I figure I stay home maybe 5 times a year because it's the first day of the many snow storms we have each year..

I wash the car weekly as it's a black z51 m6.

This cars been so good....I figure to hold onto it for another few years and then buy a c7 z06 A8.

I really enjoy this c6 coupe. Just a great car that's quite a looker too.

Tires oil and gas for 88k miles.

Just been a wonderful ownership.

5 hours of driving today with a good portion in traffics a bit of a pain in the neck....but on beautiful days...nothing's better.
I'm curious, since your car is now a number of years old, a DD, with 88K, have you experienced the low beam headlamp failure?

Have you had the jumper repair made?
Old 03-25-2015, 06:14 PM
jdlew
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Daily Driver here also, have driven it with a couple of inches of snow on the road. never a dull ride home from work
Old 03-25-2015, 06:50 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Wow, can't believe you guys daily drive your cars. I know the car is capable of it, i just can't see how you guys do it. With random traffic, all kinds of idiots who can't park, the wear and tear, etc etc. I couldn't do it.

That said mine is a weekend warrior. During the warm months i'll probably take it out for a quick spin after work during the week or i'll take a long cruise saturday and sunday. I just got the car about 4 months ago so it didn't get much use cause of the bad winter but i would want to take it out a lot when nice weather really settles in. I don't know about taking it out when it's raining.

That's what daily drivers are for. I have another car for the daily use. My philosophy is if you don't have to drive the car, why would you? These cars are supposed to be about pleasure. What pleasure is it when it's downpouring outside? Or when it's 15 degrees? If it's your only car then you have no choice but if you have another vehicle, use that for the crappy days.

Because if you think about it this way, the more time you're away from your toy, the more excited you are driving it the day you get to drive it. That's how i feel. You're bored driving your daily driver during the week. Then when the weekend finally comes, you get in your toy and go crazy lol. Idk that's how it worked for me all these years.
I agree with all of your points. As I mentioned in my previous post, mine gets driven to lunch nearly every day in the summer, weather permitting (I work at home, and am semi-retired).

I've still got at least a foot of snow in front of the barn where it's stored, so it won't get out for 2-3 weeks yet, and we still haven't had a good rain to wash the salt off the roads.

What fun is driving a high horsepower sports car in the rain? -- I have no clue. If I get caught in the rain then it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't leave home if it was raining.

Am I itching to drive it again? -- you bet (it's been put up since Oct. 27) and I cherish every day within our 6-7 month "toy" season here in upstate NY.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:30 PM
EagleGuy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I call my 2008 coupe a "daily driver". I say that because:
......It isn't spotless and had 60K miles on it when I bought
(so someone had been driving it a lot. I now know I should have looked longer and found someone's "garage queen" to buy for me to drive, haha)
.......I do drive it in the winter (not that "winter" here is much in the way of snow, so I can easily avoid that)
......if I know it is a for sure going to rain, I will drive my truck. but if I get caught out in a surprise shower, it doesn't kill me that my Vette got wet.
.......and sometimes when it is really nice and warm and sunny, I ride the Harley

so I don't drive it "every day", but I do often. Probably more than the truck and the bike combined.

Get notified of new replies

To Is your C6 a daily driver, commuting machine, etc?

Old 03-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,310 Likes on 2,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
I agree with all of your points. As I mentioned in my previous post, mine gets driven to lunch nearly every day in the summer, weather permitting (I work at home, and am semi-retired).

I've still got at least a foot of snow in front of the barn where it's stored, so it won't get out for 2-3 weeks yet, and we still haven't had a good rain to wash the salt off the roads.

What fun is driving a high horsepower sports car in the rain? -- I have no clue. If I get caught in the rain then it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't leave home if it was raining.

Am I itching to drive it again? -- you bet (it's been put up since Oct. 27) and I cherish every day within our 6-7 month "toy" season here in upstate NY.
Yeah all the snow finally cleared about a week ago. Even after the hiccup we got last friday, that immediately got cleared the next day it being 55 degrees that day.

I understand peoples logic on its only a car use it but owning soo many cars in my time, as i'm sure you guys owned many as well, that daily abuse puts a toll on your car big time and fast too. That's why i was quick to learn to just buy a bang around car for your daily commute and have your toys for nice days.

And yes if i'm out and then it rains oh well, that's life and i deal with it. But if there's rain in the forecast or already raining, i'll skip using the car that day and wait for the next opportunity.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:02 AM
piper_chuck
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine's my daily driver. However, I also have a 95 F-150 that I drive too. I typically use the F-150 when I have to get something big or if I washed the Vette recently and the weather's looking lousy. Now that pollen season is in full swing, I'm tempted to drive the truck more til it's over.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 AM
Evolution
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C6 daily here.

Quick Reply: Is your C6 a daily driver, commuting machine, etc?