C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sea foam new engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:49 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I guess I am old school but I don't understand why you would want to put any fuel additives in your car unless you are having problems. I guess if you were going to store the car with a full tank, as you should, then you could add fuel stabilizer. I just don't think you need sea form as a preventive. Just use good gas and drive the car. You said you have already used two tanks of gas so any problems from the old gas are already gone.
The LS engines don't require any type of fuel additives they are very robust engines. IMO
Old 03-25-2015, 10:01 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I was concerned due to the fact not knowing how long the fuel was sitting in the tank. I guess it does sound a little paranoid at that. The only top tier stations by me are Sunoco and shell which I consider two very good choices.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:34 AM
Evolution
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use seafoam regularly. No issues at all. New or well used. Put it in at the gas station, then fill up the tank and roll.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:17 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Hameister
I never use Techron additive. See my prior post.
There is no reason to add Techron because it is the cleaning agent that is used in Chevron gasoline.

Since I use Chevron exclusively, and every gallon of it contains Techron, there is no need to add it.
I'm fortunate, because there are 3 Chevron stations all within 1 to 3 miles of my house.
If there is a Chevron station convenient to you, use it, and you should not need to add anything else.

If there are no Chevron stations near you, just buy high quality "Top Tier" gas, and dump a bottle of Techron in your tank every 6 months or so.

I use Sea Foam once a year, just because I can.
sunoco and shell gas is what i use in my area. by the way hammy, what do you think of a vararam air intake? seriously thinking of going with one in my car.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:39 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by billyboy47
sunoco and shell gas is what i use in my area. by the way hammy, what do you think of a vararam air intake? seriously thinking of going with one in my car.
In my opinion, any CAI system alone, without the benefit of a cam and headers, provides such a minimal return in performance, that it's simply not worth the expense.

Nearly every person I've spoken with regarding various CAI systems they've installed, tells the same story, little to no increase in performance, but they love the sound.

You'll have to decide if that's worth $400 for the sound.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:43 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

...so I'm kind of hoping they changed the oil. ...
That hope and change phrase sure sounds familiar.

Sea foam = Snake Oil for the vast majority. Using good gas (Top Tier) as the manual recommends will prevent and remedy most issues with gas.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:27 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

In my opinion, any CAI system alone, without the benefit of a cam and headers, provides such a minimal return in performance, that it's simply not worth the expense.

Nearly every person I've spoken with regarding various CAI systems they've installed, tells the same story, little to no increase in performance, but they love the sound.

You'll have to decide if that's worth $400 for the sound.
vararam claims 40+ added hp to the car when installing their cai. can they falsely advertise without concerns of any legal issues? gee, now you got me thinking of a new thread to post. and by the way, i was thinking of going with headers and a tune in the near future.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:13 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

vararam claims 40+ added hp to the car when installing their cai. can they falsely advertise without concerns of any legal issues? gee, now you got me thinking of a new thread to post. and by the way, i was thinking of going with headers and a tune in the near future.
From my experience, you'll get more kick out of a tune than you will a CAI.

Just watch your GM warranty with mods.

Get some other opinions on the CAI, everyone has one. Then make your decision.

I would install a CAI for the high performance sound, but for me, the sound is only worth about $59.00.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:16 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

From my experience, you'll get more kick out of a tune than you will a CAI.

Just watch your GM warranty with mods.

Get some other opinions on the CAI, everyone has one. Then make your decision.

I would install a CAI for the high performance sound, but for me, the sound is only worth about $59.00.
What the hell can you get for 59 bucks? sorry, I found that amusing.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:36 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Sea foam = Snake Oil for the vast majority. Using good gas (Top Tier) as the manual recommends will prevent and remedy most issues with gas.

I am surprised that folks just can't read the manual and accept GM's recommendations and advice. All one needs to do is use top tier fuel.

It certainly doesn't hurt to put a can of Sea Foam, Techron, or similar additive every once in a while to make you feel good. But, the incremental benefits don't exist if you regularly use a tope tier fuel.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:19 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

What the hell can you get for 59 bucks? sorry, I found that amusing.
I didn't say, nor imply, that you could buy a CAI for $59.00.

I said, that about $59.00 is all the sound is worth to me.

You see Billy, I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:26 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

I didn't say, nor imply, that you could buy a CAI for $59.00.

I said, that about $59.00 is all the sound is worth to me.

You see Billy, I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.
i gotcha. so in essence your sound is only worth the 59 dollars as opposed to others that feel their sound is worth a million. now i understand.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:36 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

i gotcha. so in essence your sound is only worth the 59 dollars as opposed to others that feel their sound is worth a million. now i understand.
There ya go, I guess sound value is also subjective.

I'm one of those few nut jobs that really enjoys my 'vette just as GM intended.

436hp, about 430 lbs. of torque, the sound of the intake, as well as the exhaust, is plenty for me.

I don't need or want anymore, especially when I think of the reduction in value at resale time.
The more speed mods ya make, the less your car is worth.
I know, I know, I'm crazy.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:31 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat

I am surprised that folks just can't read the manual and accept GM's recommendations and advice. All one needs to do is use top tier fuel.

It certainly doesn't hurt to put a can of Sea Foam, Techron, or similar additive every once in a while to make you feel good. But, the incremental benefits don't exist if you regularly use a tope tier fuel.
only for the reason i stated above. car is 3 years old and i had no clue how long the fuel set in the tank. as **** as it may seem i didn't want to chance it so i dumped sea foam in the tank to make ME feel better.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:35 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

There ya go, I guess sound value is also subjective.

I'm one of those few nut jobs that really enjoys my 'vette just as GM intended.

436hp, about 430 lbs. of torque, the sound of the intake, as well as the exhaust, is plenty for me.

I don't need or want anymore, especially when I think of the reduction in value at resale time.
The more speed mods ya make, the less your car is worth.
I know, I know, I'm crazy.
yeah, but hammy, i intend to keep this car for a long, long time. and besides, i don't want to be embarrassed when some young dude pulls up along side of me with a crappy ricer and tries to blow my doors off.

Last edited by billyboy47; 03-26-2015 at 05:36 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

yeah, but hammy, i intend to keep this car for a long, long time. and besides, i don't want to be embarrassed when some young dude pulls up along side of me with a crappy ricer and tries to blow my doors off.
Then go for it....just remember, there is always someone faster.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:11 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
My GS was also GM certified. When I left the dealership (which is very active in new and used Corvettes) I asked the salesman if I needed to do an oil change (the car was 32 months old and had 12k miles on the clock and the oil looked like it just came from the can) and he indicated that the certification process included an oil change and I was good to go. He also gave me a copy of the GM Certification inspection check list for my car.

GM Certification includes up to two oil changes in the first year of ownership so you shouldn't be paying for an oil change soon. Additionally, you could have the dealer pull the service records if you have concerns. Sounds like you got a virtually brand new car at what had to be an awesome price, congratulations!
Yeah, my CPO purchase was similar except I got 2 years "free" maintenance, and didn't limit the number of oil changes. And of course, I got the remainder of the 36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty.

I got the check sheets too, but I often wonder if the technician actually did anything other than got through the form and check everything off. It kinda looks that way ... all the marks are the same and were done with the same pen. Maybe that's just paranoia.

Get notified of new replies

To sea foam new engine

Old 03-26-2015, 08:07 PM
77vette05
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You will not see any horse power gains with a Vararam on a dyno. That being said, the fastest C5 + C6's in the 1/4 non FI run the vararam. Tracktime #'s are not internet claims. You will not regret the Vararam. Headers, tune, and the Vararam would wake the car up. I have used sea foam, and Marvel Mystery oil for gas treatment, but if the gas is no good additives won't help. I use Marvel for regular maintenance due to the fact I watched my uncle free up a seized 350 with Marvel Mystery Oil. Ever since that day I add Marvel to my gas. I put it in the 05' every fill up until I added the meth injection. Marvel does not mix with exotic fuels.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:15 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by 77vette05
You will not see any horse power gains with a Vararam on a dyno. That being said, the fastest C5 + C6's in the 1/4 non FI run the vararam. Tracktime #'s are not internet claims. You will not regret the Vararam. Headers, tune, and the Vararam would wake the car up. I have used sea foam, and Marvel Mystery oil for gas treatment, but if the gas is no good additives won't help. I use Marvel for regular maintenance due to the fact I watched my uncle free up a seized 350 with Marvel Mystery Oil. Ever since that day I add Marvel to my gas. I put it in the 05' every fill up until I added the meth injection. Marvel does not mix with exotic fuels.
I use marvel in my 06 honda cr-v. Put it in the crank case every oil change and in the fuel tank every so often.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:33 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by 77vette05
One question. What exactly is the vararam power wedge? Just wondering if it's a vital part to go with the cai.

Quick Reply: sea foam new engine