C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The C6, and a compact jump starter...some advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 12:10 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,738 Likes on 2,400 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Hameister
Sorry Ruxy, you'll have to explain what you mean.
First, what's a "lipo" battery? Do you mean Lithium Ion?
The smaller units that I've looked at (400 AMP) are Lithium Ion.
The larger ones, 600~700 AMPS are Lead Acid, the same as the battery type in your car.
Why wouldn't I want it in the cubby? These things are designed to be kept in cars?
What are you worried about?
What's a "Dreamliner"?
Yes, absolutely, if my wife has to wait 45 minutes or more for road service, vs. clamping 2 clamps onto the battery terminals, and starting the car herself, she'll definitely use it.
Perhaps my mistake...are the batteries lithium ion or lithium ion polymer (lipo)? Lipo batteries can be very unstable if over/under charged and catch fire...hence the reference to Boeing's 787 Dreamliner and the battery fires.
As an aside, I don't remember my wife ever having a dead battery. Plus me having to explain how to use it? Nah.
But for you, wanting to be ready for any contingency, if it works go for it.
And on that note, as a 15 year old you probably carried a condom in your wallet....because you just never know...
Old 03-14-2015, 12:18 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

I have used a jump pack at the America's Car Museum where I volunteer but I have never paid attention to their make up. If they are lead acid then I guess you just have another battery in your car, albeit smaller.
As far as charging overnight in the house I know where the jump pack would be when I needed it. Although, as I have said, all my vette related dead batts have been in the garage.
Good info but no, thanks.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,067 Likes on 2,202 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I have used a jump pack at the America's Car Museum where I volunteer but I have never paid attention to their make up. If they are lead acid then I guess you just have another battery in your car, albeit smaller.
As far as charging overnight in the house I know where the jump pack would be when I needed it. Although, as I have said, all my vette related dead batts have been in the garage.

That's kind of the glitch since the vet is plugged into a tender when not driven for a few days, and the only what that it would be any good, is if you can leave it in the car charging/top off when the car is running (like in one of the back hatch areas). So If you have a dead battery at say the airport from the car sitting for a week or longer, short work to jump start it then since the jump pack in in the car.

If the car goes dead at the house, then I have a battery charger with a start booster on it, or even better, the truck parked next to in in the garage with jumper cables in it.

So if the jumper pack is at the house, and you have to call someone to go get it first before coming to you, may be faster for them to just drive directly to you with jumper cables in their car instead (or just make the AAA call instead).
Old 03-14-2015, 01:14 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Perhaps my mistake...are the batteries lithium ion or lithium ion polymer (lipo)? Lipo batteries can be very unstable if over/under charged and catch fire...hence the reference to Boeing's 787 Dreamliner and the battery fires.
As an aside, I don't remember my wife ever having a dead battery. Plus me having to explain how to use it? Nah.
And on that note, as a 15 year old you probably carried a condom in your wallet....because you just never know...
Hey, you have a right to be a nay sayer, and joke about condoms, but realize each person's situation is different.
You're very fortunate that every dead battery you've ever had has happened in your garage.
I sincerely doubt most folks have had that same experience.

I live in south Florida, car batteries here have a much shorter life because of the heat, and the relatively short runs.
Shopping, malls, restaurants, gas stations, theater, etc., are all very close by and convenient.
Most anything a person wants is available within 2 miles or less.

In the last 15 years, I've owned a Nissan Maxima, and it's battery died suddenly after about 27 months.
A Chevy Monte Carlo, it's battery failed to start the car one day, also after just about 2 years.
A Chrysler 300 had a stone dead battery one day at just under 3 years.
I think it was about 34 months.
Not one of these car's batteries crapped out in my garage.
Every one of them left me stranded in parking lots, and one at the airport.
Each time, I waited an hour or more for road service to jump them for me.
Each one was covered under warranty, and replaced by the selling dealer, but that doesn't negate my annoyance, and inconvenience.

I think these jump starter packs are a great idea, and certainly provides peace of mind, against being stuck with a dead battery.

All I'm trying to do, is make sure before I purchase one, that it will spin up my LS3, not be too large to carry around, and be reasonably priced.
Once I'm sure it will be effective with the LS3, I'll buy two of them, and keep one in my wife's car.
Her's is a 2.4L 4 banger that will be effortless to crank given the unit I'll buy.

So far the link I posted to the one on Amazon is looking very good at $64.95 including delivery.

However, I'd very much like to talk with someone here who has used one on his 'vette.

Last edited by Hameister; 03-14-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:42 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Hey, you have a right to be a nay sayer.
I'm not trying to be a nay sayer...in fact, I said "But for you, wanting to be ready for any contingency, if it works go for it."
You're doing your due diligence. I understand that. I was presenting the other side. With my track record when I need the jump pack it would be on the work bench.
I, too, like to hear from someone who has owned/used one on a Corvette. You sound (almost) sold on the idea. I just need more convincing.

Damn, here's another thought:
Batteries have a short life in FL due to the heat. So, if this is a lead acid jump pack and you have it in the cubby (for the most part) won't the life of that battery be shortened also? Not trying to be poopy; just asking.

Last edited by ruxvette; 03-14-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:55 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

When you say, "there is a unique way to jump start a C6", I assume you're referencing the owner's manual below?

I understand the reasons for using the shorter run to the starter motor, the convenience of under the hood jump starting, and the avoidance of sparks near the battery.
However, I see no reason why any electronics should be damaged if a 'vette is jumped at the battery itself.

Anyway, that aside, I agree it's looking more and more, like a small portable battery jump starter is not a viable option for our cars.
Once you get into units that are capable of spinning an LS2/LS3, they are large, heavy, and expensive. Not at all what I wanted.

I'm still hoping that someone with experience, using a portable jump starter on a Corvette, will jump in here.

Perhaps Prof will get back with info on his.

There's nothing unique about that to Vettes. All cars say you don't use both battery posts.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:58 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

That, perhaps. But the real reason is you wanted all your buddies to think you were getting laid.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:01 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

....Batteries have a short life in FL due to the heat. So, if this is a lead acid jump pack and you have it in the cubby (for the most part) won't the life of that battery be shortened also? Not trying to be poopy; just asking.
Not trying to be "poopy", I really don't know.

However, I don't think this would be an issue. Lead acid batteries deteriorate from constant charging and discharging.

The Lead Acid battery in the jump pack, would be kept at full charge all the time. Not unlike keeping a tender on you car's battery.
It would only suffer discharge when it's used to jump start a car which would be very rarely, or perhaps never.

Even if it had to be replaced every 3 or 4 years, so what? They're pretty cheap insurance.

I just sent an e-mail to the technical dept. in the company that makes the JNC300XL, and asked specific questions regarding it's use with a 6.2L Corvette engine.
I probably won't hear from them until Monday, or Tuesday at the earliest, but will post the results when I get it.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

If your that worried why not just carry an extra lithium battery? If you ever need it then recharge it at home.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:10 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Part of the problem that many have in jumping a C6, from any source, is that the battery clamps that the jumper clamps grab are made of steel and not lead. Older cars have lead clamps on the battery. The softness of the lead allows the jumper clamps to bite into them and provide more surface area to conduct current. When starting a car, the most important factor is the amount of current, not voltage, that can be delivered. This is why the most important characteristic of a set of jumper cables is the weight...more copper means more current delivered. Many cheap jumper cables have thin copper wires, like 10 gauge, that then are covered with thick insulation to make them look beefy. The weight can't be faked like this.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:52 PM
RaceNH
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

This is the one that I bought from Amazon. I have used it for my ATV's and snowmobiles. I have also used it on my Bobcat that had a dead battery and it worked awesome to jump start the diesel engine on it. I would have no fear of it being able to start my vette if need be. It comes with a nice assortment of plugs so you can use it for alot of other things. I keep it under the back seat of my silverado doesn't take up much room. Very happy with it so far.

Amazon.com: Antigravity Batteries Micro-Start PPS XP-10 Multi-Function Jump Starter / Personal Power Supply: Automotive Amazon.com: Antigravity Batteries Micro-Start PPS XP-10 Multi-Function Jump Starter / Personal Power Supply: Automotive

Old 03-14-2015, 05:12 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The threads like this seem to have the common theme related to the cost of fear and/or inconvenience. We all have different levels we can tolerate and that justifies the expense.

This thread appears to try applying a value to the fear and/or inconvenience. It's like if the $65 unit that fits in the glovebox may be questionable, then the $250 unit that is heavy/bulky and guaranteed is not acceptable, and yet a wait for AAA may be too inconvenient.

Maybe I've just been lucky to have never been stranded more than an hour due to a dead battery. I've certainly been stranded for much longer periods for other automotive failures, such as 2 days for a bad alternator at 800 miles on my newly purchased C6, while 2,000 miles from home.

The heat in Phoenix kills batteries much quicker than in FL. Actually FL has never had a 110* day unlike 38 other states.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001416.html

I believe my tolerance for crap happening is greater than most, since I've already endured a lot. At least they make for many memories and I've never been bored.

So Hammy, I think you should be the guinea pig for the forum and just buy one. After all, somebody's got to be first. Then you can be the local good Samaritan and help out strangers as part of the testing process.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:58 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceNH
This is the one that I bought from Amazon. I have used it for my ATV's and snowmobiles. I have also used it on my Bobcat that had a dead battery and it worked awesome to jump start the diesel engine on it. I would have no fear of it being able to start my vette if need be. It comes with a nice assortment of plugs so you can use it for alot of other things. I keep it under the back seat of my silverado doesn't take up much room. Very happy with it so far.
Maybe we could persuade you to take off a battery clamp, hook it up, give it a try, and report back to us if it works.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:19 PM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I carry one of the larger ones on road trips, with 800 amps. It also has an air compressor, since I don't have run flats. I have used it on other vehicles and it works great. Has a work light, for night, and 110 volt outlets. Thankfully, I have never had to use it on my Vette.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RaceNH

Amazon.com: Antigravity Batteries Micro-Start PPS XP-10 Multi-Function Jump Starter / Personal Power Supply: Automotive

Thanks so much for that input, it's appreciated. More info for my growing data base.

Originally Posted by Ben101er
I carry one of the larger ones on road trips, with 800 amps. It also has an air compressor, since I don't have run flats. I have used it on other vehicles and it works great. Has a work light, for night, and 110 volt outlets. Thankfully, I have never had to use it on my Vette.
Thank you as well for your comments.
Can you tell me what engines your 800 amp unit started? 4cyl., 6cyl., 8cyl.?
Size, 2.2L, 3.5L, 6.0L? That would be very helpful.

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
The threads like this seem to have the common theme related to the cost of fear and/or inconvenience. We all have different levels we can tolerate and that justifies the expense.

This thread appears to try applying a value to the fear and/or inconvenience. It's like if the $65 unit that fits in the glovebox may be questionable, then the $250 unit that is heavy/bulky and guaranteed is not acceptable, and yet a wait for AAA may be too inconvenient.

Maybe I've just been lucky to have never been stranded more than an hour due to a dead battery. I've certainly been stranded for much longer periods for other automotive failures, such as 2 days for a bad alternator at 800 miles on my newly purchased C6, while 2,000 miles from home.

The heat in Phoenix kills batteries much quicker than in FL. Actually FL has never had a 110* day unlike 38 other states.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001416.html

I believe my tolerance for crap happening is greater than most, since I've already endured a lot. At least they make for many memories and I've never been bored.

So Hammy, I think you should be the guinea pig for the forum and just buy one. After all, somebody's got to be first. Then you can be the local good Samaritan and help out strangers as part of the testing process.
Tom, I don't see this from your perspective at all.
It has nothing to do with a "fear" factor. It has everything to do with convenience.
The older people become, the more folks are willing to pay for convenience.
When I was 45 years old, waiting an hour in a hot car on a 95* day, for a jump start wasn't a big deal.
When I did it 8 years ago at 64, it was very annoying to say the least.
Now at 72, I don't need that crap. Like you said, I put up with a lot of crap when I was younger as well.
However, I'm not willing to put up with it now, especially when such an inexpensive, easily affordable device, can eliminate that inconvenience.

Yes, of course I'm comparing price, efficiency, size, weight, etc.
Sorry your getting the impression, this is a thread about applying value to fear etc. I really don't see it that way.

I may however, end up doing exactly what you suggested as regards the purchase.
On Monday, or Tuesday, I'll be speaking with the tech. dept. of the company that makes the JNC300XL.
It's extremely well thought of on Amazon.
I don't know if you saw some of the comments I posted from Amazon, including people with Corvettes.
If I am confident that it will spin up my LS3, then I'll purchase two them.
One for my car, and one for my wife's SUV. This is one of those things that you hope you never need, but is great to have if the need arises.

I look at it this way, the cost of two of these devices, is about the same as the cost to take the family out to a restaurant for dinner, and lasts a hell of a lot longer.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

With my 800 amp, I have started everything from my tractor, to my truck.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:46 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

I talked to a guy that knew a guy, etc, and the word is this will surely start the Corvette. The bad news is it weighs 38 lbs. The worst news is they cost about $300.
Clore Model No. ES6000 Jump Starter
12 Volt Peak Amps : 3000
12 Volt Cranking Amps : 800
Cable Length : 54"
Cable Gauge : #4 AWG
Charger Type : Automatic
Indicator Display : LED
Weight : 38 lbs.
Warranty : One Year Limited
UPC : 777986060037
Just trying to be helpful...

Get notified of new replies

To The C6, and a compact jump starter...some advice please.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:52 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Thanks Ben, but I need to know the size of the engines we're talking about.
How about the truck. Is it a 6cyl., 8cyl? 3L, 4L 5L? Thanks.

I talked to a guy that knew a guy, etc, and the word is this will surely start the Corvette. The bad news is it weighs 38 lbs. The worst news is they cost about $300.
Clore Model No. ES6000 Jump Starter
12 Volt Peak Amps : 3000
12 Volt Cranking Amps : 800
Cable Length : 54"
Cable Gauge : #4 AWG
Charger Type : Automatic
Indicator Display : LED
Weight : 38 lbs.
Warranty : One Year Limited
UPC : 777986060037
Just trying to be helpful...
Yes, I'm sure that will start 2 Corvettes at the same time.
Thanks Ruxy, but I'm looking for something just a little smaller, lighter, and less expensive.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:52 AM
TRUOMEGA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the one i use: JNC 300XL.

It stores perfectly in the rear drivers side cuby. I have boosted my corvette with a completely dead battery. Dead to the point that the battery doesn't even illuminate the interior lights when i manually open the door. To make it even more impressive, after jumping my car, i have jumped a V8 Econoline 3 times, a V6 Jeep grand Cherokee 4 times (battery was on back order) and Honda civic once... All on a single charge in the course of 3 months. I would have kept it off the charger for sheer curiosity as to how many boosts it can handle on a single charge but then figured why take a chance and charged it overnight again. I cant speak for the booster mentioned above but I highly recommend the JNC300XL booster. Its small, durable, powerful, and lasts a long while on a single charge.
Amazon reviews Amazon reviews
can vouch for that. The only thing id complain about is its cheap low powered built in flashlight but that's a negligible drawback due to the fact that it doubles as a 12 volt outlet.

Just as a side note... Advanced auto parts is selling it for 103.39 but if you find something you need worth $21.61 or more.... Use coupon code "WD511" and itll take 50 dollars off your total including free shipping/store pickup.

Last edited by TRUOMEGA; 03-15-2015 at 01:04 AM. Reason: saw a deal
Old 03-15-2015, 03:11 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Tom, I don't see this from your perspective at all.
It has nothing to do with a "fear" factor. It has everything to do with convenience.
The older people become, the more folks are willing to pay for convenience.
When I was 45 years old, waiting an hour in a hot car on a 95* day, for a jump start wasn't a big deal.
When I did it 8 years ago at 64, it was very annoying to say the least.
Now at 72, I don't need that crap. Like you said, I put up with a lot of crap when I was younger as well.
However, I'm not willing to put up with it now, especially when such an inexpensive, easily affordable device, can eliminate that inconvenience.

Yes, of course I'm comparing price, efficiency, size, weight, etc.
Sorry your getting the impression, this is a thread about applying value to fear etc. I really don't see it that way.

I may however, end up doing exactly what you suggested as regards the purchase.
On Monday, or Tuesday, I'll be speaking with the tech. dept. of the company that makes the JNC300XL.
It's extremely well thought of on Amazon.
I don't know if you saw some of the comments I posted from Amazon, including people with Corvettes.
If I am confident that it will spin up my LS3, then I'll purchase two them.
One for my car, and one for my wife's SUV. This is one of those things that you hope you never need, but is great to have if the need arises.

I look at it this way, the cost of two of these devices, is about the same as the cost to take the family out to a restaurant for dinner, and lasts a hell of a lot longer.
But you do see it in that same way as I mentioned, since I stated "fear and/or convenience".

TRUOMEGA just gave you the green light you were looking for, so give us a report how it works for you.

Quick Reply: The C6, and a compact jump starter...some advice please.