C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 911 Turbo....slow

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Porsche 911 Turbo....slow

Not only are they slow but they all look the same.

My only disappointment was when after I googled it, I found out it's not a 991 or 997, but a 996. Still looked fairly modern. It had the X50 upgrade package.

So anyways, got one to "play ball" with me today while running errands around town. I decided to give myself a personal challenge and left it in 4th and mowed right by him starting at 75ish. Quick car, but not quick enough. I should have been in 3rd.

His had the X50 exhaust (pretty neat looking see below), aftermarket wheels, tires that looked to be as wide as 345s, properly loud and of course the best color, black. It looked something like this...

Last edited by Nosferatu; 03-11-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:44 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

You either had someone not really driving hard, did not know how to drive it, or the turbo was not spooled up. The 911 Turbo S does 0-60 in 2.9 sec and the 911 Turbo in 3.2 sec. and they will turn teh 1/4 mile in the mid 10's.

Sounds quick to me.

Last edited by BWF07; 03-12-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:46 PM
ksurfer2
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have lived, worked, and gone to school in tampa for the past 25 years. I have driven, pretty much, every road, interstate, highway, causeway, etc at all times of day and night. Where in the world do you find the time/opportunity to do all this street racing on the same roads I drive that are constantly clogged with traffic?????

I'm just curious, not looking to start street racing.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Danno1985
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
You either had someone not really driving hard, did not know how to drive it, or the turbo was not spooled up. The 911 Turbo S does 0-60 in .9 sec and the 911 Turbo in 3.2 sec. and they will turn teh 1/4 mile in the mid 10's.

Sounds quick to me.
.9 sec 0-60 sounds awfully quick to me too!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:02 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Danno1985
Sounds impossible to me.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:07 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

No. the 911 turbo is not slow. (but the driver may have been)
Old 03-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by BWF07
You either had someone not really driving hard, did not know how to drive it, or the turbo was not spooled up. The 911 Turbo S does 0-60 in .9 sec and the 911 Turbo in 3.2 sec. and they will turn teh 1/4 mile in the mid 10's.

Sounds quick to me.
1.) I'm 640RWHP on a mustang dyno

2.) This was a 996 generation (not a 997 or 991). With bolt-ons he is probably mid/low 11s in the low to mid 120s. I'm hitting over 135mph in the 1/4mi therefore no issue dispatching this car.

3.) As for where in Tampa, I don't live in downtown. I'm on one of the random highways at 10:30AM on a week day. Not much traffic when people are at work. I won't publicly state exactly where.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:10 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Danno1985
Looks like a typo, he most likely meant 2.9 sec.

And the OP was racing a 996 series, which isn't even in the same league as my car which is a bone stock '13 GS LS3.
If I remember correctly the 996 ran around 4.5 to 5 sec. 0~60 mph.
That's not a typo, those older Porches were not very fast.

Now a 911 Turbo S on the other hand runs around 2.8 sec. 0~60 time, with a good driver, and would eat OPs 'vette for breakfast.

No matter what ya have, there's always someone with more bragging rights.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:49 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

as far as the 996 turbo goes, I almost went after one instead of a c6 - theyre nice cars but not extremely fast compared to modern stuff

Originally Posted by Hameister
Now a 911 Turbo S on the other hand runs around 2.8 sec. 0~60 time, with a good driver, and would eat OPs 'vette for breakfast.
The new ones have launch control - theres a video road and track did to demonstrate how little effort it takes and how repeatable it is... You could be having lunch in one of those things and still out accelerate damn near anything on the road.

EDIT:

Take a look at 2:56 on the video - hands free launch

Last edited by el es tu; 03-11-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by el es tu
as far as the 996 turbo goes, I almost went after one instead of a c6 - theyre nice cars but not extremely fast compared to modern stuff

The new ones have launch control - theres a video road and track did to demonstrate how little effort it takes and how repeatable it is... You could be having lunch in one of those things and still out accelerate damn near anything on the road.

EDIT:

Take a look at 2:56 on the video - hands free launch
No question that Porsche is one very well engineered, and very fast automobile.

However, Porsche could drop the price of that car to $40k, and I still wouldn't buy it, except as an investment for resale.

I can't help it, I have always thought that Porsche makes the ugliest cars on the road.
I have to think Prius if I want an uglier image.
When I see one in green I think frog.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:46 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Porsche= ugliest bug shaped cars on the planet who's design hasn't changed since the 50's.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

ummm....no.

On the streets from a dig, sure. On a track with a proper tire or any speed roll where traction won't be a factor a Turbo S I will squeak by. They don't MPH above 135mph in the 1/4mi which means it's not pulling me on top end.

As for what I ran today the 996 Turbo (which I wasn't sure what model it was until I got home to look it up) runs high 11s/low 12s stock at over 115mph. This one had upgrades. Either way was a good fun run.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:54 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

And the OP was racing a 996 series, which isn't even in the same league as my car which is a bone stock '13 GS LS3.

Yeah, he had to. I think a top fuel dragster will come close to 0.9 seconds but that's about the only thing. And they're something like 8,000 hp.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:55 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
Not only are they slow but they all look the same.

My only disappointment was when after I googled it, I found out it's not a 991 or 997, but a 996. Still looked fairly modern. It had the X50 upgrade package.

So anyways, got one to "play ball" with me today while running errands around town. I decided to give myself a personal challenge and left it in 4th and mowed right by him starting at 75ish. Quick car, but not quick enough. I should have been in 3rd.

His had the X50 exhaust (pretty neat looking see below), aftermarket wheels, tires that looked to be as wide as 345s, properly loud and of course the best color, black. It looked something like this...

Huge brakes on that thing. Go about a third the way around the wheel.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:48 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Go runs some high speed road course laps with him, then get back to us.

Porsche has never cared about 1/4 mile times, but instead cared about the car chassis having enough usable power to make it lap fast instead. On Porsche designs as they increase the cars handing, then it gets more power to balance out the car with the increased handling characteristics instead.

Bluntly, this is way the GT-3 and turbo 911's has always had down force to make the car stick at higher speeds, while every OEM Vet produced (including the ZR-1) has has lift instead.

So at say 150mph when the vet is getting loose due to all the lift and having a hard time sticking around a corner, the 911 turbo's is now hunkering down with down force to stick to the road/ track a like it's glues to it instead.

Bluntly, for the OEM corvette having a top end speed of around 190MPH, GM did not one any favors by not aerodynamically balancing the car with down force to make the car stick and handle at that speeds instead. So yes, the C-6 is USA muscle car fast for straight line, but at super car speeds, very, very lacking in handling instead (just way to much lift instead).

P.S, Guessing you are making more power than most F-1 cars, and top speed, you car is probably faster than a F-1 car as well, but guessing that you not are going to be posting about how you lapped one on a high speed track any time soon.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dano523

Porsche has never cared about 1/4 mile times, but instead cared about the car chassis having enough usable power to make it lap fast instead. On Porsche designs as they increase the cars handing, then it gets more power to balance out the car with the increased handling characteristics instead.

Bluntly, this is way the GT-3 and turbo 911's has always had down force to make the car stick at higher speeds, while every OEM Vet produced (including the ZR-1) has has lift instead.

So at say 150mph when the vet is getting loose due to all the lift and having a hard time sticking around a corner, the 911 turbo's is now hunkering down with down force to stick to the road/ track a like it's glues to it instead.

Bluntly, for the OEM corvette having a top end speed of around 190MPH, GM did not one any favors by not aerodynamically balancing the car with down force to make the car stick and handle at that speeds instead. So yes, the C-6 is USA muscle car fast for straight line, but at super car speeds, very, very lacking in handling instead (just way to much lift instead).

P.S, Guessing you are making more power than most F-1 cars, and top speed, you car is probably faster than a F-1 car as well, but guessing that you not are going to be posting about how you lapped one on a high speed track any time soon.
It's still fugly ugly, no matter how well it tracks.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:03 PM
bpGx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche 911 Turbo....slow

Old 03-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Danno1985
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I assumed it was a typo. Just making a funny! Cheers!
Old 03-11-2015, 09:15 PM
rbcsci
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've spent quite a bit of seat time behind the wheel of a 911 turbo and it was shockingly fast. I wouldn't trade my Corvette for it, but its hard to imagine the words "slow" and 911 turbo" in the same sentence.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:02 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by rbcsci
I've spent quite a bit of seat time behind the wheel of a 911 turbo and it was shockingly fast. I wouldn't trade my Corvette for it, but its hard to imagine the words "slow" and 911 turbo" in the same sentence.
"Slow" was me being sarcastic. I still walked it pretty hard up top but it did respectable. It's under 500hp in that variant at the motor and I'm around 775 at the motor. It's an obvious outcome.

Porsche has never cared about 1/4 mile times, but instead cared about the car chassis having enough usable power to make it lap fast instead.
Apparently the guy who was driving it cared enough to want to engage me on the freeway

I've driven the 911 Turbo (997 IIRC) on Gingerman Raceway up in Michigan. It's a fun lively car on the track I'm not going to deny that. The variable vane turbo (whatever it's called) really gives it a nice low end torque hit. Body roll in the corners a little (see tire gap and lack thereof in the cornering) but overall a fun lively chassis.

Last edited by Nosferatu; 10-03-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 Turbo....slow