C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to maintain factory leather

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:34 PM
huntemor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to maintain factory leather

So I've tried a few searches but want to get to the right info. I've got a new to me 2007 c6 z51 with the two tone leather option (black & red). The car has 14.7k miles on it and the leather is in fantastic shape right now. However, I have seen in older cars, the damage that can happen to these seats. What is the best way to make sure this doesn't happen. I've seen proponents of Z10 and Leatherique and 303 UV coating but want the most practical approach. Not trying to start fights here. Help a brother out.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:43 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I don't do much of anything to mine except keep it clean. I've used leather cream a couple of times but I don't think it's really necessary. I think you have to be careful if you do that on the perforated seats ...might clog the holes. Over time, the leather looks a bit "crinkly", but to me the old leather look just gives it some class.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only real leather parts of the seats are the sitting surfaces, i.e., the center of the bottom and the center of the back. The bolsters and headrests are simulated leather. And for good reason ... it wears a lot longer. I had real leather on a previous car on tbe bolsters and had to replace the one by the door twice because getting in and out wore a hole in it. That doesn't happen with the vinyl (or whatever it is).
Old 03-08-2015, 10:44 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts

A leather cleaner and treatment from Mothers, Meguires, Addams etc should do the trick. I also use a California Pop Top to block the sun in our Sunny Hot location.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:38 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Our seats are not really leather, kind of a vinyl like material. A damp cloth and maybe a tiny bit of leather treatment is fine.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:09 AM
Torquem
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Even the real leather parts are urethane coated. You're wasting your time with leather cleaners and conditioners. Just use 303 to keep sun from damaging and keep them clean with a mild water/pH balanced soap mixture.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:06 PM
huntemor
Intermediate

Default How to maintain factory leather

looks like 303 is the best option for prevention. it looks like in a lot of cases the vinyl/leather is dried out. is there any way/point to "rehydrate" the seats.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:28 PM
FixItFlyIt
Advanced

I'm planning on getting some Wet Okole covers to protect my pretty red leather seats.

I had a set of those covers on my Jeep Wrangler and they are FANTASTIC. Fit is excellent, quality is high, and they don't fade easily. They add a little cushioning too. The only warning I issue is that if you live somewhere where it is really hot and you drive topless for a long time, you might get some swamp butt because the neoprene will make you sweat if you are stuck in it for a while in the heat!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:45 PM
hotinaztoo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Keeping the leather seats nice!

The best way to keep the drivers seat nice is to learn how to get in and out of the car w/o doing damage to the side bolsters. With the door open, back up to the opening, and set straight down with your legs planted on the driveway, so you are not sliding across the bolster. My car is nine years old and the seats look like new. I just use a damp cloth to wipe them off occasionally! You can use a protectant but with the leather/ vinyl that is used, has a film from the factory already on it!

Originally Posted by huntemor
So I've tried a few searches but want to get to the right info. I've got a new to me 2007 c6 z51 with the two tone leather option (black & red). The car has 14.7k miles on it and the leather is in fantastic shape right now. However, I have seen in older cars, the damage that can happen to these seats. What is the best way to make sure this doesn't happen. I've seen proponents of Z10 and Leatherique and 303 UV coating but want the most practical approach. Not trying to start fights here. Help a brother out.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:00 PM
JAvery20
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Watch keeping your wallet in your back pocket while driving. I put a nice hole in my C5 seats from that after awhile. I did put 86k on my C5, but I usually don't sit on my wallet in my C6 now.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:20 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by hotinaztoo
The best way to keep the drivers seat nice is to learn how to get in and out of the car w/o doing damage to the side bolsters. With the door open, back up to the opening, and set straight down with your legs planted on the driveway, so you are not sliding across the bolster. My car is nine years old and the seats look like new. I just use a damp cloth to wipe them off occasionally! You can use a protectant but with the leather/ vinyl that is used, has a film from the factory already on it!
Great point. Mine is going on 9 years old also and I've done the same thing on exit and entrance. But I won't quite go so far as to say the seats still look like new. But they do look a lot better than most of the ones I've seen about the same age.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:55 PM
haberman13
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

http://www.premiumboatcare.com/gold-...hannelid=FROOG

I've used that (it's in most auto stores) on all of my cars.

No cracks or any other problems. My BMW was 15 yrs old and the seats looked new.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:14 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Main thing you can do to keep them looking new is not to drag your body over the bolsters getting in and out of the car. Place your rear in the middle of the seat then lift your feet in.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:22 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Agree with everything said here....but would add that I have used Zaino leather care product on all my leather equipped vehicles and it may not be necessary but it sure smells like the real deal and i think adds a more supple, softer feel to older leather. But you will read all kinds of opinions .....just do what you think makes the seats look good!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:24 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Main thing you can do to keep them looking new is not to drag your body over the bolsters getting in and out of the car. Place your rear in the middle of the seat then lift your feet in.
Lets not forget about the Wizard Of Oz shuffle and kick those feet together once or twice before swinging them in....LOL
Old 03-11-2015, 08:52 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by windyC6
Lets not forget about the Wizard Of Oz shuffle and kick those feet together once or twice before swinging them in....LOL
Getting out you do the Corvette roll. One hand down on the sill then lift yourself out.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:12 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
That is exactly how I get in my car. Thought I was the only one.
The following users liked this post:
SyberSaint (04-09-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 06:22 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,658 Likes on 2,361 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Getting out you do the Corvette roll. One hand down on the sill then lift yourself out.
Huh. I put my left hand on the ground, tuck my right shoulder, and roll. Looks silly, but...well, looks silly.

Get notified of new replies

To How to maintain factory leather

Old 04-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

You and them gorilla arms I'm lucky to reach the doorsill.
NSF
Old 04-06-2016, 06:40 PM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Torquem
Even the real leather parts are urethane coated. You're wasting your time with leather cleaners and conditioners. Just use 303 to keep sun from damaging and keep them clean with a mild water/pH balanced soap mixture.
Torquem is right on. They spray the leather with a tinted urethane coating so the leather and vinyl sections are the same color and to protect the leather. Any conditioner applied just lays on the material and in fact collects dirt which can cause damage to the seams. The conditioner also evaporates and leaves an oily film on the glass.

I just clean mine with Meguiar's All-Purpose cleaner diluted 10:1 using distilled water, followed by a wipe down with Meguiar's X-Press spray wax. My seats look new as do my Tahoe seats which are 8 years old.

Check out Darren Priest and his videos on how to clean and maintain leather seats.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:03 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob
That is exactly how I get in my car. Thought I was the only one.
Me too, in all my cars and for centuries!
The following users liked this post:
EMT311 (04-06-2016)

Quick Reply: How to maintain factory leather